UKBouldering.com

woodies (Read 3298 times)

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
woodies
July 30, 2004, 03:10:08 pm
right hopefully will have my woodie up soon and was wondering any one got any handy tips, ideas etc on them. the wall its getting bult on is 10 feet long and 9 feet high. i'm thinking of going for 2 foot kickboard then 40 degrees to the ceiling. any one who's already got one what angles, size are yours?

dave

#1 woodies
July 30, 2004, 03:19:18 pm
i recon a 2foot kickboard is way way way too big. you want to have as small a kickboard as you an get away with, like 6 inch or something, otherwise half the moves will be with your feet in the same place, so don't put that many footholds on it either. having a set of footholds totally on the main board (i.e. non on the kickboard) makes for harder problems also. get really poor footholds, and make sure they are all about the same, otherwise if you've got one or two footholds that are much bigger than the rest you need self disipline for your problems not to revolve round the same good foothold, particularly on a short board. i do all my stuff purely on footholds, no hands for feet, as this keeps it hard work, and keeps the handholds clean. if you use poorfootholds then you'll get better body tension, and when you go outside or in commercial indoorwalls every time you put your foot on a handhold it will feel like a bivi ledge. plus poorer footholds means you're pulling harder on slightly bigger handholds, so less likely to get injursed than if you're pulling on tiny little holds with feet in jugs.

its worth putting a lof ot thought into your footholds particularly as they are the ones that are time consuming to replace later.

make sure your grid of t-nut holes is a ofset grid or it will be boring, but make sure its regular enough to use systems holds. also put some footholds aside in a ladder for system shit. drill all your panels before they go on the wall (you can drill several stacked up to save time). put in loads of t-nuts.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#2 woodies
July 30, 2004, 04:03:41 pm
cheers dave :D . got loads of indentical poor footholds (tiny screw ons). as for the kickboard your probably right. i'll just use the six inch skirting board at the bottom as one and screw the footholds onto that.

dave

#3 woodies
July 30, 2004, 04:13:20 pm
basically as long as your heels stay off the floor the the kickboard is tall enough.word.

chappers

• forum hero
#4 woodies
July 31, 2004, 08:40:56 am
dave, where did you get hold of your m10 bolts and teeeee nuts? screw-fix aint got none :( .
are they expensive from a regular builders merchants? (im a tight fucker).

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#5 woodies
July 31, 2004, 12:13:20 pm
Alright Chappers,

Simon S does all that sort of stuff.  Has sorted me out with loads of kit at a good price.  Give him a PM.

Tim.

dave

#6 woodies
August 01, 2004, 11:00:07 pm
Quote from: "chappers"
dave, where did you get hold of your m10 bolts and teeeee nuts? screw-fix aint got none :( .
are they expensive from a regular builders merchants? (im a tight fucker).

i got all my t-nuts from infast which is an industrial fastener supplier in town. look in the yellow pages and chances are theres some similar place near you, there are companies like this all over the place. generally cheaper then buying them from climbing shops or hold-manufacturers. obviously better value the more you buy. same goes for bolts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal