UKBouldering.com

Carrock Question - High Flyer (Read 3877 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Carrock Question - High Flyer
February 22, 2015, 03:28:42 pm
Where does this V5 prow on the Low Boulder start? From a sitter I can reach a low large undercling and a small higher undercling for the leleft, and the vertical ramp for my right-hand (see photo). Just out of reach is a small crimp on the upper vertical ramp (ticked in photo). The move to this seems particularly vile, from that hold onwards the problem seems to make sense. Is there a standard starting position other than just sit start?

rodma

• forum hero
#1 Re: Carrock Question - High Flyer
February 26, 2015, 12:18:16 pm
I think that's how i started, but can't remember if i put my right heel straight up before moving my hand or not

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Carrock Question - High Flyer
February 26, 2015, 01:00:24 pm
I think that's how i started, but can't remember if i put my right heel straight up before moving my hand or not

I also think thats how I started - I seem to remember a thug of a first move then easier ground...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#3 Re: Carrock Question - High Flyer
February 26, 2015, 02:29:11 pm
Hmmm. Emailed Greg Chapman and he remembered vaguely climbing from a bit lower right along the ramp, into the crimp hold. Which may or may not be easier than pulling on here.

I'll have another play next time I'm down.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Carrock Question - High Flyer
February 26, 2015, 04:35:37 pm
I didnt think it was the greatest problem TBH...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#5 Re: Carrock Question - High Flyer
February 28, 2015, 02:02:18 pm
Well I have to do it, as I'm working my way through all the V5-6 burly slopey prows at Carrock (which are generally much easier than the V3-4 razor death walls...). So far my track record is pretty good: Nova Scotia Arete flash, Undercut Arete 2nd go, Howff Arete flash Howff Roof flash, Old Spice 4th go, Sing A Rainbow fairly quickly. The first couple of moves on High Flyer definitely seem a grade or two harder than any of those, so I'll have to have a good play and try to make sense of it. The remaining sequence from the crimp seemed great so it should be worth it.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#6 Re: Carrock Question - High Flyer
March 24, 2015, 07:20:12 pm
Tried this again recently. Absolutely ridiculous. Can get my arse off the ground on it but that's all. Tried from this position, and with left hand lower, right hand further right on a better bit, right hand further right still on a sidepull. Tried with left heel-hook, right heel-hook, left and right kneebars, heel toes, right heel on the ramp above my head, nothing. It's either completely morpho, or something has come off, or it's 2+ grades undergraded, or every other Carrock prow is 2 grades overgraded as is every other V5 I've pissed this winter.

Unless someone can give me actual beta for it, fuck it. The nice moves from the crimp aren't worth wasting more hours on the start on.

tc

• junky
#7 Re: Carrock Question - High Flyer
March 24, 2015, 10:11:23 pm
It's been a while but I think High Flyer starts way to the left of where you are in the photo. You seem to be on some kind of hybrid start to Ye of Little Faith. Next time I'm up there wandering around trying to get over my injury-induced depression I'll see if I can refresh what's left of my memory.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#8 Re: Carrock Question - High Flyer
March 25, 2015, 09:53:00 am
Cheers. I think a bit left would get you into Caff's Crack, but obviously I really don't know!

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#9 Re: Carrock Question - High Flyer
March 31, 2015, 10:49:38 pm

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#10 Re: Carrock Question - High Flyer
April 01, 2015, 09:45:51 am
Useful! That is not what I've been trying at all. I have a vague idea I can't reach that right-hand vertical micro-slimper from the ground, or if I can it's at full extension with no way to get my fingers side-pulling on it. Will check that out when I go back.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal