UKBouldering.com

Burnout from cold? (Read 3421 times)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Burnout from cold?
February 11, 2015, 08:09:06 am
It seems that no matter how big a mountain day you may do in the summer, it never leaves you feeling quite as wasted as a very cold day on the boulders. I think the wind might be the crucial factor in this - after a very cold and windy day I tend to collapse into bed early and am asleep instantly, not something that happens all too often.

Obviously when you're out in conditions like this you will burn through energy (specifically glycogen?) reserves quicker, but is this increase significant enough to have a detrimental effect on climbing performance? My sample size of n=1 tells me that this might be the case. Went to Brandrith on Sunday and it was baltic. Had eaten well the night before, plenty of carb rich grub, and made sure I topped up with flapjack during the session. I was even careful to get well warmed up and not have too many goes on the 7A+ that we did first (lots of watching other people trying first to absorb the beta).

Still got shagged very quickly on Heaven in your Hands - just felt very weak in the left forearm, after not too many goes on the problem. Could this be down to the cold?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Re: Burnout from cold?
February 11, 2015, 08:16:37 am
You want to try a big mountain day in the winter.

I think it's more that that problem hammers your left arm. I think we all noticed it. If it's really cold I generally try to choose somewhere out of the wind, or in the sun, or both if it's not too warm. Hanging around in the teeth of a gale is demoralising.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Burnout from cold?
February 11, 2015, 08:21:51 am
Its sample size of n=1, also frequency f=1...

It could just be a bad day... go there for several freezing days and report back young rockwalker :)

Stubbs

#3 Re: Burnout from cold?
February 11, 2015, 08:25:59 am
Were you appropriately attired? I find a proper set of thermals makes a huge difference on really cold days.  I think on really cold and windy days it's often a case of not getting properly warmed up to start with, especially somewhere like Brandrith, where you don't have many options to get going!

webbo

• forum hero
#4 Re: Burnout from cold?
February 11, 2015, 08:45:20 am
As well as the the thermals and lots of layers, make sure you have a very windproof outer layer. I have often found myself grinding to a halt on days like you described due to one minute feeling warm so not bothering with a windproof. Then finding myself cold and running out of energy.

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Burnout from cold?
February 11, 2015, 08:54:31 am
Yup - theres a definite cold weather routine (and set of clothes) for me...

try a problem - stop, jacket on, boots off & under jacket to keep them warm (armpits best), socks and shoes on, windproof mits on.. stomp around for a bit... reverse, try problem again and repeat... After doing this 10-20 times, leave, and 9 times out of 10 chunter all the way home about what could have been - or that 1 time out of 10 bask in the warming glow of the car heater of success... 

:)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#6 Re: Burnout from cold?
February 11, 2015, 08:59:09 am
Yup - theres a definite cold weather routine (and set of clothes) for me...

boots off & under jacket to keep them warm (armpits best)

get a couple of those reusable boil-in-the-bag hand warmers and sticck them inside your shoes before sticking them inside the jacket.

And as the JBs say:

stay out of the wind
and get in the sun
you'll get nothing done
if your fingers are numb.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#7 Re: Burnout from cold?
February 11, 2015, 10:56:55 pm
Not to bore you with too many details, but you do not load the same energy systems on boulders as on long routes...

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#8 Re: Burnout from cold?
February 12, 2015, 12:25:45 am
Could it be that your arm got tired because you were trying something at your limit, and you only get so many full bore efforts, rather than having anything to do with the cold at all?

Probably a separate issue from the cold tiredness.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#9 Re: Burnout from cold?
February 12, 2015, 07:00:05 am
Some of the things I've learned over the years:
  • Stay warm - put on a down jacket between attempts but also make sure that you've got the right layers on
  • Eat less carbs and more protein and good fats, and focus on low GI foods. I've been trying a low-carb diet over the last 6 - 8 months and have noticed massive differences in sustained energy levels. These days, I eat very little when I go bouldering, whereas on a higher carb diet I would be snacking lots and feeling my energy levels drop. That said, it works for me, even on days when the approach is 45 mins of uphill slog, but it won't necessarily work for everyone.
  • Rest more
  • Take along a thermos of coffee

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#10 Re: Burnout from cold?
February 12, 2015, 07:42:07 am
Warm non-alcoholic rochester ginger wine.  Stimulant, warmth, some sugars.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#11 Re: Burnout from cold?
February 12, 2015, 07:06:31 pm
Its sample size of n=1, also frequency f=1...

It could just be a bad day... go there for several freezing days and report back young rockwalker :)

I was there. It was freezing and blowing like a mother trucker. You didn't have enough clothes on. I've told you about that thermal thong before. It's style over substance.

We needed twice as many clothes and a tent for rests. Bloody miserable experience, but I guess you need an ass kicking every now and again.

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Burnout from cold?
February 12, 2015, 09:14:18 pm
I took my jetboil to the crag on weds. Big steaming mug of tea was perfect.... Better than a thermos and got me through my first hot aches!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal