UKBouldering.com

Weird arm pain (Read 1888 times)

sampazzer

Weird arm pain
February 06, 2015, 05:41:02 am
Hi all.

Thought I would get some collective advice if people are able to shed any light.

I've been climbing (mainly bouldering) for around 4-5 months now. With what little experience I had with training, I was overworking the climbing muscles away from the wall instead of a more overall regime.

I've developed some pain in my left arm (naturally weaker arm). It seems to be only after climbing, when I'm on a climb I don't seem to have massive amounts of pain. I've seen two physios who think it was a case of tennis elbow and I've read EVERYTHING there is on the internet about it. I've gone through periods of break and then going into tennis elbow exercises which seems to flare the injury up. I've had a poke around and there is actually no real 'sore spot' The pain seems to start in the outer of the elbow but can be felt half way down the outer of my arm and in my ring and little finger. I'm currently trying to use the therabar for rehab but don't want to cause it any more damage.

I have also tried to improve my posture and working position at work (shoulders back, sat up straighter and engaging my core). This seems to have resulted in notting up the bottom left of my neck and parts of my back.

I'm due in for a sports massage today and will try to get some more advice on improving posture.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also would anyone recommend a physio in the Chester / Cheshire area with hands on climbing experience?

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#1 Re: Weird arm pain
February 06, 2015, 08:06:53 am
From your description it could be any number of things including tennis elbow. Especially since two physios have suggested that. However, I suggest you read this blog.

http://climbingphysio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/elbows-introduction.html?m=1

If it is tennis elbow then I'm not sure rest and then exercises is the best treatment. Tyler twists with the therabar and maintaining your climbing at a level that doesn't piss your elbow off is a better bet.

HPclinic

• menacing presence
    • Hallamshire Physiotherapy clinic
#2 Re: Weird arm pain
February 06, 2015, 11:45:37 am
Hi all.

Thought I would get some collective advice if people are able to shed any light.

I've been climbing (mainly bouldering) for around 4-5 months now. With what little experience I had with training, I was overworking the climbing muscles away from the wall instead of a more overall regime.

I've developed some pain in my left arm (naturally weaker arm). It seems to be only after climbing, when I'm on a climb I don't seem to have massive amounts of pain. I've seen two physios who think it was a case of tennis elbow and I've read EVERYTHING there is on the internet about it. I've gone through periods of break and then going into tennis elbow exercises which seems to flare the injury up. I've had a poke around and there is actually no real 'sore spot' The pain seems to start in the outer of the elbow but can be felt half way down the outer of my arm and in my ring and little finger. I'm currently trying to use the therabar for rehab but don't want to cause it any more damage.

I have also tried to improve my posture and working position at work (shoulders back, sat up straighter and engaging my core). This seems to have resulted in notting up the bottom left of my neck and parts of my back.

I'm due in for a sports massage today and will try to get some more advice on improving posture.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also would anyone recommend a physio in the Chester / Cheshire area with hands on climbing experience?
Hi, I am a physio at Hallamshire Physiotherapy, Sheffield and we write weekly responses to climbing injuries on this site (page 3). It sounds like a neck problem and the symptoms you report sound more like they are from a nerve root irritation. The diagnosis of Tennis elbow is too often given incorrectly and we find that more commonly symptoms are from the neck, trunk or shoulder. These need to be looked at and you need to be observed moving. Have a look at our discussion page as there are plenty of responses to climbers that have had supposed tennis elbow problems that turn out to be the neck. A physio doesn't have to be an expert in climbing to recognise this, they just have to look at you moving.
Regards
Matt

HPclinic

• menacing presence
    • Hallamshire Physiotherapy clinic
#3 Re: Weird arm pain
February 06, 2015, 11:46:50 am
Hi all.

Hi, I am a physio at Hallamshire Physiotherapy, Sheffield and we write weekly responses to climbing injuries on this site (page 3 of the home page, not forum page). It sounds like a neck problem and the symptoms you report sound more like they are from a nerve root irritation. The diagnosis of Tennis elbow is too often given incorrectly and we find that more commonly symptoms are from the neck, trunk or shoulder. These need to be looked at and you need to be observed moving. Have a look at our discussion page as there are plenty of responses to climbers that have had supposed tennis elbow problems that turn out to be the neck. A physio doesn't have to be an expert in climbing to recognise this, they just have to look at you moving.
Regards
Matt

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal