UKBouldering.com

Circuit style or sequential? (Read 2474 times)

siderunner

• regular
  • more of a route-climber than boulderer, but hey
Circuit style or sequential?
January 27, 2015, 06:52:34 am
So I've started some strength work today, specifically weighted pullups, offset pull-ups on campus board, weighted typewriters. I'm aiming at 4-6 reps of each (counting L & R as one rep on typewriters) and 3 sets hopefully building to 5 sets after a couple of sessions.

Question is, should I cycle through those exercises alternately ("circuit style") or should I do all the weighted pull-ups then all the offsets then all the typewriters ("sequential")?

I tried the circuit approach, but wonder if doing them sequentially you'd expect better recruitment from one set to the next (due to muscle memory)?

Andy

groovedog

• addict
#1 Re: Circuit style or sequential?
January 27, 2015, 07:25:05 am
My instinct without scientific proof would be sequential. Fatiguing and stressing the muscle groups relevant to that exercise. In weights that's what I've always done. Perhaps someone will be along with more science!

LB1782

• regular
#2 Re: Circuit style or sequential?
January 27, 2015, 08:49:32 am
No SCIENCE I'm afraid but a practical point.

Since you are; adding weight, have a target rep range, and using lots of the same muscles across the exercises:  I'd do them sequentially.

Done circuit style how can you tell if your failure of rep x of set n of the typewriters was due to the added resistance for that exercise or for the weighted pullups? How can you then tell whether to add or reduce weight to keep the stimulus right for any individual exercise?

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
#3 Re: Circuit style or sequential?
January 27, 2015, 08:56:49 am
i agree, sequentially.

circuits are good when you work different muscle groups, so you can work one group while letting another recover. thus saving time, and getting a more intense overall work-out.

siderunner

• regular
#4 Re: Circuit style or sequential?
January 27, 2015, 09:30:18 pm
Thanks for those responses guys, makes sense that since the muscles are basically the same  I'm better off doing one exercise at a time. Feels more natural to pyramid the added weight that way too.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#5 Re: Circuit style or sequential?
January 27, 2015, 11:11:50 pm
Considering these are all the same basic muscle groups, you're doing 12-15 sets of 4-6 reps of the same thing, whcih quite alot for maximal strength training.   Are you aiming for maximal strength training?  If so you may want to think about picking 1 of these are working it along with the plyometric and secondary movements.

So for example, doing weighted pullups, explosive pullups, bicep curls, and hanging shrugs.  Start with a wtd/explosive combo so doing  set of 3-5 max wtd pullups, then 3-5 explosive pullups (clapping pullups, chain pullups, two arm campusing on bigger rungs, etc.).  rest until fully recovered and do two more sets of this combo.  Then do 6-8 hanging shrugs (Hang from a bar, and keeping you arms straight, engage your shoulders to lift you body up and down) and 6-8 bicep curls.  do three total sets of this combo. 

The wtd and explosive pullups are the priamry exercise, while the shoulder shrugs and biceps curls are secondary movements.

siderunner

• regular
#6 Re: Circuit style or sequential?
January 28, 2015, 06:48:03 am
Thanks for that idea Sasquatch, makes a lot of sense. Will try that next session.

I did find the strength slipping by the third set and reps slipped as a result. Which, as I am indeed trying to work max strength (and power) in this phase, seems to defeat the "finish strong" principle.

The fact that my shoulder / neck has seized up today also suggests that the slip in form whilst trying to gurn out the last reps in sets 8 and 9 was counterproductive!

Lastly I note your "until fully recovered" comment - I was timing rests and didn't feel fully recovered tbh.

Thanks again for the input.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#7 Re: Circuit style or sequential?
January 28, 2015, 05:12:24 pm
You're welcome and I REALLY need to use the speel chcek featrue.   :-[

Good luck and be a bit gentle at first with the complex training(heavy plus plyo) as they can be quite taxing. 

Nibs made the comment on a different thread that really hits the spot for strength training.  It's all about the high intensity - low volume.

I'm not very good at planning for more than a few weeks, and I always tend to overdoing it, so I've been overtraining for years probably, in the past.
The problem is that I love training, there are so many physical abilities to improve!
Anyway, I think that the key factor is intensity.
If you keep that quite high it's harder to get into overtraining, because you're forced to kill volume.
I usually train four days a week for climbing, but they could be three or five, depending on how I feel and what I want to target. When trying to improve power endurance I often add one extra session.
On rest days I do only a finisher, see the related topic for info. 
Other key factor is not getting too anxious about planning. Knowing your aim and following your body is a good way to go.
To train often and on consecutive days you need to have multiple sessions ready to be done, taking into account time, stress, fatigue and so on. For each tool (fingerboard, campusboard, wall) you should have as many different sessions as possible to target different qualities, prevent adaption and fight boredom. After a heavy fingerboarding session, the next one can't target the fingers as well, so no campus board, no fingery stuff on the wall, but maybe campusing problems with big moves on good holds, or working on core tension, or bouldering on slopey holds, etc.
I usually separate fingerboarding, core and bouldering. Fingerboarding comes first in the week, then bouldering. When bouldering I have power sessions earlier in the week, then power endurance ones and I never have endurance sessions. That's probably why after one year and half I still haven't climbed my 30 moves long circuit...
Hope this helps.

I have to say that all my session are generally short, or very short.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal