UKBouldering.com

Heavy finishers, T-Nation style (Read 20095 times)

dk

• regular
  • C'est tres bon
#25 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 28, 2015, 08:31:09 am
I hadn't come across finishers in that sense before sorry. The style you are talking about would be pretty useful though can defiantly see the benefit there. A combination of hanging core between Medium-hard boulder problems  could work well for climbing with no rest in between?

creedence

• regular
#26 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 28, 2015, 08:41:04 am
The whole additional concept of the 'fire breathing' finishers (learning to breath in a stressed state), sounds very applicable to sports climbing too.  I'm going to add the kettlebell swing and plank to the end of some core workouts, and see how it goes.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#27 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 28, 2015, 09:32:20 am
I'm glad you liked it.

@dk,
don't stress too much about trying to build a climbing related finisher, I think it won't be a good finisher.
Think about stressing your whole body with big, compound movements that involve the big muscles.
The epitome of the finisher is, in my opinion, the uphill sprint. From stillness, to full body movement at max speed. That is going to give a high nervous and metabolic response!

Yesterday I tried this for the first time and it's great.

After that I did a weights complex, all for two times and was ready for bed.

hamsforlegs

• regular
  • Wildcat. Pkow.
#28 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 28, 2015, 09:37:01 am
I hadn't come across finishers in that sense before sorry. The style you are talking about would be pretty useful though can defiantly see the benefit there. A combination of hanging core between Medium-hard boulder problems  could work well for climbing with no rest in between?

Nibile may correct me, but I think it's pretty hard to generate enough wattage of output or enough engagement of major muscle groups (glutes, quads, abdominal wall) through climbing. Maybe some really aggressive dynos between huge jugs followed by a loaded exercise such as kettlebell swings or power cleans.

Worrying too much about climbing specificity is not necessary. The point is really to achieve a hormonal and metabolic effect - ie to put the body under some serious load and to generate some serious exertion. It's these effects that will help with muscle retention/development and fat reduction.

I used to use heavy finishers in workouts to maintain muscle when I was doing a lot of running. I used things like barbell complexes, uphill sprints, ball slams, sandbag getups and loaded carries. Loaded carries are superb. I was planning to reintroduce the idea but added to my climbing this spring.  Thanks Nibile for a timely discussion.

EDIT: saw this crossed over with Nibile's response, but looks like we're in agreement so I don't have to go into hiding.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#29 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 28, 2015, 09:47:19 am
 ;D
Perfectly exposed. Now I want to sell my house DaveMac style and go live in a hangar full of weights, sleds and chains. Oh and a Beastmaker.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#30 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 28, 2015, 11:03:31 am
;D
Perfectly exposed. Now I want to sell my house DaveMac style and go live in a hangar full of weights, sleds and chains. Oh and a Beastmaker.

And a rowing machine. I think they're even better than kettlebells are for finishers.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#32 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
March 08, 2015, 10:05:22 am
There you go, managed to video one of my favourite finishers, to give the idea.
Warning: it's as boring to watch as hard to do.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#33 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
March 26, 2015, 04:22:50 pm
Still on the subject, I'm experimenting for you all.
The spider crawl was beginning to hurt a bit, especially shoulders and wrists, considering that I've added 1 kg to my weightvest.
So I thought "Why not taking it a bit easy by doing simple planks?"
Ahahahahahah how presumptuous of me!
Normal planks felt much much harder!
So I'm sacking the crawl in favour of the plank.
Two sets of 2 minutes, with 7 kg, left me completely smoked. On the second set, I could barely get to the first minute, then I had to pause on the ground every 20 seconds or so.
They're great because you have to breathe, and this involves an instability in the abs area, that is brutally hard to control!
Indeed, breathing is also a suggested technique to fight plateaus in deadhangs, squats and front levers.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#34 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
March 26, 2015, 04:42:09 pm
I was chatting to a bloke at our Juice Clinic
(google sheffield juice clinic for info)

for one of his finishers, he does standing jumps as high as he can for 30 seconds at a time

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#35 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
March 26, 2015, 04:46:09 pm
Those are cool as well and I used to do them before fucking my knee bouldering. Oh the irony.

Now I can't do them anymore because of the extreme knee flexion, so I went back to hill sprints so I could fuck my gluteus and score a new injury.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:51:50 pm by Nibile »

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#36 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 19, 2015, 08:44:10 am
I am still learning and experimenting for the progress of Mankind.
Yesterday I entered a world of pain with a Tabata dumbbells finisher after my BM session. It hurts. Highly advised, maybe it's best to prepare with 7/8 years of strength based training.  ;)
Still cross related to the finishers' subject, on my last board session, that was aimed just at doing one project, after the warm up, general and specific on fingers, I tried to get some proper recruitment by doing some heavy compound movements and one single barbell complex at high intensity.
Big rest afterwards, success on the board.
Let's see if it's replicable. (Does such a word exist in English?)

rodma

• forum hero
#37 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 19, 2015, 12:30:11 pm
Let's see if it's replicable. (Does such a word exist in English?)

yes and that's the correct word

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#38 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 19, 2015, 02:14:36 pm
 :icon_beerchug:

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#39 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 20, 2015, 10:40:16 pm
I like doing a compound of deadlift into ?barbell raise? (not sure the term, lift the barbell to chest/neck height anyway) into shoulder press into overhead squat and reverse. One fluid movement or pausing at the chest. I do this with very light weights (25kg) and it feels pretty tiring after a set of 10 (I do 3 sets with rests in between). I imagine a few of these back to back would be rather good fun.

siderunner

• regular
  • more of a route-climber than boulderer, but hey
#40 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 20, 2015, 11:53:52 pm
Like the sound of that Fiend, I'm gonna try it. Though quite endurance-y at 3 x 10.

I suspect that's a bit lighter than what Nibs used to fire up his recruitment though ... right?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#41 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 21, 2015, 10:45:53 am
I will remember Wednesday's session as one of heaviest sessions ever. I still have DOMS in my FOREARMS today... And I wanted to climb today... The Tabata set was really brutal and I had DOMS until yesterday, glutes and hamstring and abductors. Fantastic.
I have understood only recently how crucial speed is. It's another game. It didn't become obvious until, a few months ago, I tried to do some max speed one armers. Ahahahahahah what a humbling experience!
The equation Strength x Speed = Power is just what it is, an equation. More speed, more power.
So now I focus 80% of my weight training on speed and explosiveness, with some tweaks sometimes to make things harder, like paused reps, or a static hold at max effort, etc.

Fiend's routine seems more aimed at being a finisher, rather than a recruitment.
I will keep refining the recruitment sets before climbing, focusing on going heavy AND fast, trying to feel the optimum not to slide into grinding reps.
Doing a few hill sprints would be ideal but often it's not logistically possible.

I will stick to something along these lines:
some kind of jumps (high, broad, frog jumps);
a barbell complex (snatch, clean, power press);
a dumbbell complex (lateral raises, biceps hammer curl and overhead press with neutral grip).
One set of each at max speed with a good pause should see me sorted for crushing on my board.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#42 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 21, 2015, 11:03:54 am
Yah mine is something I do at the end of a gym session, just cos I like it, but I do think it could work well as a finisher NIBZ style.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#43 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 21, 2015, 12:27:33 pm
Yah mine is something I do at the end of a gym session, just cos I like it, but I do think it could work well as a finisher NIBZ style.
Yes, I think so as well.
But to be used as a pre-climbing recruitment you should tweak it a bit, in my opinion.
The overhead squat is brilliant but it's not something you want to try doing at max speed.
The clean and power press is perfect though.
I'd go with one, max two sets of 7/8 at max speed.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#44 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 22, 2015, 07:21:40 pm
There you go, this is a good finisher that I like a lot. I think this is good tempo and number of reps for a finisher.
Today, before hill sprints, I did two sets of this, the second one being half the number of reps and higher speed. Sprints went well, it's amazing how good you feel when sprinting on a flat road after months of hill sprints.
Anyway here's the video, with the added bonus of the weather forecast for these coming days in Italy.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#45 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 22, 2015, 07:39:53 pm
I used to do something similar to those as part of a "warmup".  It was

6 sets of:
6 reps at 65# of:
   Deadlift
   Bent over rows
   Cleans
   Front Squat
   OH Press
   Back squat
and 6 pushups.

It never really felt like a warmup. Although after a bit of rest, I was certainly warmed up enough for anything else. 
If it was the main workout, it was done at 95# instead.  Those were brutal. 

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#46 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 22, 2015, 07:44:00 pm
What weight is that, Nibble?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#47 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 22, 2015, 10:27:56 pm
It's 35 kilos so 77 pounds more or less. It's good for basically everything.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#48 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 23, 2015, 11:46:12 am
Which is exactly what I guessed  :strongbench:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#49 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
November 23, 2015, 12:18:32 pm
 :2thumbsup:
I would like to add 2 kilos, gently building up a little bit without going too havy and still keeping speed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal