UKBouldering.com

Heavy finishers, T-Nation style (Read 20090 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 23, 2015, 12:09:59 pm
Didn't want to pollute the Sharkathon thread, so I started this one to share my experience.
I've noticed a good improvement in my form since starting doing "finishers" after each session and on rest days also.
For the concept of "finisher" you can relate to this entry of my blog http://totolore.blogspot.it/2014_07_01_archive.html or to T-Nation.

I've chosen and tested a few excercises that I combine in various ways to give a good kick in the ass after each different session I've had, and possibly according to the following day's session.
I still can't sprint. So here are the excercises I do:
- spider crawl, +6kg, bouts of 2 minutes; very very hard;
- ab-roll, +6kg, with 5 seconds pause at full extension, 6/7 reps; very hard;
- one arm kettlebell swings, 10kg, 2x20 per arm; not so hard;
- clean and jerk from knees, 40kg, amrap; very very hard;
- weight complex with 9kg dumbbells: lateral raises x10; biceps curl x15/20; military press x15; triceps extension (with 9kg) amrap; lat pulls with 40kg barbell 15/20. The complex is very very hard.

Usually I do one or two of these, trying to reduce rests to the minimum, but I need to catch some breath because they are exhausting.

Combining these ones I usually am done in 6/10 minutes.
I honestly suggest finishers to anyone who wants to keep muscles, do some intense effort and reduce fat.
HTH.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#1 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 23, 2015, 12:25:18 pm
If you have access to a rowing machine, I can recommend a very simple and exceedingly painful finisher - row all out for 30 seconds (remember the distance you rowed), rest 30 seconds; repeat 9 times.

Aim to match the distance from the first set every time, then have a little lie down / vomit afterwards. The beauty of it is that no matter how fit you are, you will find a pace that will hurt you.

Tommy

• junky
#2 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 23, 2015, 12:40:32 pm
Finishers are a great tool - although a lot of climbers (the type that are constantly on the verge of overtraining!) should be careful which part of their season they put this into and how heavy the week is already for training.

Another great thing about these, in my opinion, is that they improve your mental robustness. It's hard making yourself really hurt on a regular basis, but you'll probably come out with a stronger psyche.

Nice one Nibs. 

Three Nine

• forum hero
#3 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 23, 2015, 01:04:34 pm
So is the idea just to fuck yourself for your next session, so you then have a shit session and get pissed off, and so get used to being pissed off  :shrug:

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#4 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 23, 2015, 01:41:43 pm
No rowing machine, luckily. But I'd like to start using battling ropes when Spring comes.
And yes, finishers are also a mind-toughening tool.
Easy to feel cocky and start, hard to keep going and finish.

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#5 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 23, 2015, 01:47:52 pm
Easy to feel cocky and start, hard to keep going and finish.

I find the opposite - I never, ever want to sit down at the rowing machine, but once I get started, I resign myself to finishing it.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#6 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 23, 2015, 05:26:16 pm
So is the idea just to fuck yourself for your next session, so you then have a shit session and get pissed off, and so get used to being pissed off  :shrug:
To be honest the idea is to choose the finisher according to the session I've done and possibly to the session I'm going to have the next day, as I tried to explain in the first post.
The idea is also to look like The Thing and to become as strong as The Hulk, but more aggressive, so that I can crush problems on my board and - if need be - rip limbs off from annoying people.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#7 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 24, 2015, 10:29:36 pm

This is what I was going to put. It seems to contradict the concepts of finishing strong and warming down, both of which I've found essential for doing a useful quantity of climbing/ training.

To be honest the idea is to choose the finisher according to the session I've done and possibly to the session I'm going to have the next day, as I tried to explain in the first post.

This sounds more applicable to the bodybuilding "legs day"/ "back day" style of training rather than one that allows you to go climbing.

Tommy

• junky
#8 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 24, 2015, 11:03:38 pm

This sounds more applicable to the bodybuilding "legs day"/ "back day" style of training rather than one that allows you to go climbing.

Training - allows you to go climbing? Quite the opposite! You've probably read Nibs wrong and both at cross-purposes.

If you want something that allows you to go climbing, then walk away from the plastic, the wood & and the iron. Don't look back and get in that car :-)

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#9 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 25, 2015, 03:42:45 pm
The problem of "fucking up the next session" is such only if you have just one type of session to do: like going to the wall and bouldering.
This is not my case and shouldn't be the case for anyone who wants to progress.
The bodybuilding split is easily attainable in climbing training as well, you just need some planning and a little bit of creativity.
I have at least two different fingerboarding sessions, various system training sessions, and various climbing sessions, targeting different aspects of climbing.
Doing a heavy finisher isn't going to affect my the following day's session, if you know what you're doing.
Of course, snatching heavy isn't a good idea if you're going to fingerboard the next day, because your fingers will be fatigued by the snatches, but a session of spinder crawls, ab-wheel and some specific weights will not only do no harm, but boost overall power.

Moreover, each session has its own potential, which is absolute for the session, and relative for the overall maximum potential that you have when at top.
So, when fully rested, you can train, let's say, at 100% and that 100% is your real absolute 100%.
The next day, tired, your potential is, for instance 75% of your real absolute max.
So, if you train at 75% you're giving your body the 100% stimulus that you're capable of in that session.
Each session has its max.
You can train at full intensity even without hitting your absolute 100%, but only your session's specific maximum.
If well carried on, this leads to overall progress, and to increasing also the absolute maximum.
So, it's not a matter of what you can do, but of the intensity of what you do.

I only wanted to share info and experience. I don't want to convince anyone to doing finishers: everyone is still free to be and look weak, I don't care about them.

kelvin

• forum hero
#10 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 25, 2015, 04:06:12 pm

So, it's not a matter of what you can do, but of the intensity of what you do.

My old man was a decent pro-boxer and would fully agree with that Nibs.

A couple of years back, I wanted to run an ultra, despite dodgy knees that didn't allow much distance training. So I only did two 10 mile runs and one 17 miler before completing the 69 mile race. I ran pretty steadily till 50 miles or so when I stopped to help someone and fucked up my personal race. Work was full on at the time, so I trained when I could fit it in, lot's of hill sprints and 10ks but after chatting to a few people who trained like beasts (like my old man) I always did some relevant finishers. I started to loathe/love tabata squats at the end of a session. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the time I was sick doing finishers but it worked. I always had enough go for the next session and I finished a race I had no right to be able to - the body is great at recovering if you fuel it at the right times.

Still trying to work out what works for me when it comes to climbing but this last week, I've been battering myself with core work at lunchtimes which I'm hoping that I can use as finishers when I'm properly up to speed.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#11 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 26, 2015, 10:32:02 am
Yes, exactly.
Even long distance runners train power and try to build a solid base of sprint!
Yesterday I was pretty knackered from the bouldering, so I chose this finisher:
- spider crawl +6kg x 2 minutes;
- Romanian deadlift, biceps curl and military press complex, 9kg dumbbells, x 2 minutes.
All repeated twice.
Shower, huge dinner, sleep like a baby.
Yay!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#12 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 26, 2015, 07:46:05 pm
It's a matter of the right heavy finishers for the right reason and in the right workouts. 

I'd argue quite strongly that very few climbers have a structured enough training plan to warrent adding heavy finishers in as:
1-they don't have a good enough gage for their workout intensity
2-haven't planned their workouts based around recovery
3-aren't consistent enough in their workouts.

In my local arena, I'd guess that I have a more structured plan than 90% of climbers, and here on UKB, probably more structured than 80%.  And I'd say I might be able to add heavy finishers in on select workouts, but not consistently without compromising my primary training goals.

tomtom

• forum hero
#13 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 26, 2015, 08:13:33 pm
Don't a lot of route climbers do finishers? I used to - at the end of a wall session id go up and down as many steep routes as I could until my arms imploded...

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#14 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 26, 2015, 10:42:58 pm
That is a useful excercise Tomtom, but not a finisher.
A finisher has to involve heavily as many muscles as possible, with a short, concentrated, high intensity effort. 6/10 minutes and you're done. Even less.

As far as structured training goes, my almost complete lack of outdoor climbing gives me the luxury of not needing to perform at selected moments, so I just go with the flow and do not plan anything for more than a week.

creedence

• regular
#15 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 27, 2015, 08:46:53 am
Would pull ups and push ups work as finishers?

Something like 60 secs of pull ups, 60 seconds of push ups, 50 secs of pull ups, 50 secs of push ups, etc down to 10 seconds.
That would give you 7 or 8 minutes that are vaguely climbing related.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#16 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 27, 2015, 08:56:17 am
Yes, there are some examples of finishers that involve pull ups and push ups, but I prefer to do something that is not climbing related, but involves at the same time many big muscles.
This allows for a greater metabolic stress.
I do finishers to keep my muscles while controlling body fat.
Finishers are not a specific training, they are a way to keep or increase muscle while targeting body fat. They verge more on the side of the conditioning aspect.
Of course they have also a positive effect on the training. I noticed an improvement in muscle quality, more than in muscle mass - luckily.

creedence

• regular
#17 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 27, 2015, 10:11:24 am
OK, I get it.  Thanks Nibile.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#18 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 27, 2015, 10:35:24 am
No probs Creedence.
Please take everything I type with a huge pinch of salt and for doubts refer to T-Nation!

kelvin

• forum hero
#19 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 27, 2015, 10:42:19 am
Do T-Nation recommend HUGE pinches of salt Nibs? I always thought a gram or two in orange juice was pretty diabolical but if needs must  :sick:

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
#20 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 27, 2015, 11:04:21 am
So would a series of intense (eg cave) boulder problems count?
I generally finish my sessions by trying to do as many of the middleish (around v5-7) cave problems at the wall.
this generally leaves my upper body and core feeling ruined and heavily breathing.
Are these finisher? Or can I do them afterwards to get even more wrecked?

dk

• regular
  • C'est tres bon
#21 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 27, 2015, 11:10:49 am
Been doing a bodybuilding split - shoulders day, chest day, back day, legs day, arms day each week alongside climbing routes, bouldering and campusing for the last 6 months and have been having great results (The variation in training styles keeping me injury free). But the interesting part is HOW climbing feels after the different sessions - Training chest then climbing the same day (note not straight after) seems to make little difference, training shoulders leaves any sideways moves out the question, I train pull ups on back day so I don't climb then or just do endurance, surprisingly training biceps and triceps leaves me still pretty strong when climbing (Jerry Moffat talks about this in his book - it makes your lats work harder when your biceps are smashed), After training legs climbing feels really hard on what ever angle of wall and the next day I will feel my fingers (like I did when I first began climbing)!

Sure some days I climb badly but on these days I have to use different techniques and literally change my style to get up problems - It's good fun! - which has led me to become a much more rounded climber and then if I take a rest day and climb the day after I feel really strong and all is good :)

dk

• regular
  • C'est tres bon
#22 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 27, 2015, 11:16:22 am
O sorry forgot to say about finishers - In terms of climbing doing a load of pull ups at the end of each session or hanging till you can't hang anymore is likely to lead to some elbow problems, but if you do it at the end of one session each week and maybe add some weight or use smaller holds than normal, you will push your muscles harder and see improvements. Finishing complex's e.g. drop sets or pyramids  aren't designed to be used regularly on a muscle group. Bodybuilders who developed them would for example hit their biceps with them once a week then rest them for the rest/most of the week before they hit them again with the same intensity.     

NB; if you don't eat well (carbs and protein) afterwards you aren't going to make much gains from them or recover very quickly.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#23 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 27, 2015, 11:52:23 am
Sorry dk, but I think you missed the point.
To my knowledge, a proper finisher isn't targeted to any specific muscle, so it's not a pyramid workout, or a drop set, or anything that is part of the workout. It's something that you do after the chosen workout is done, and again it's mostly aimed at keeping or building muscle, reducing body fat (the two things go hand in hand), rising metabolism, inducing a higher anabolic response from the body.
To do this, we need to do the "big" movements, and not target any specific muscle or movement.
Looking around, the most common finishers are things like the spider crawl, weights complexes (squat-curl-press), loaded carries of every imaginable fashion (farmer's walk, overhead walk), battling ropes, kettlebell swings, Turkish get-ups, and the likes. Efforts that will crush every muscle.
Hitting a muscle group hard isn't enough to produce the high metabolic stress that the finisher is aimed at.
We have to take the whole body, shake it like a properly made pina colada prepared by a topless barwoman on a beachside bar, and then nourish it like a newborn.
In my opinion, a finisher is not something that is part of the training, is something that enables you to train in a better way.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#24 Re: Heavy finishers, T-Nation style
January 27, 2015, 01:31:45 pm
Today's article!  ;D
http://www.t-nation.com/training/cardio-for-strong-people
With a precious link to another article about finishers, this one.
http://www.t-nation.com/training/4-fire-breathing-finishers

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal