UKBouldering.com

Can Cannabis make me a better athlete? (Read 8598 times)

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Can Cannabis make me a better athlete?
January 20, 2015, 03:57:30 pm
http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/running/Runners-High-Can-Marijuana-Make-You-a-Better-Athlete.html

Unsurprisingly, considering WADA's ban of cannabis use at competitions, the answer may be very well be yes.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE

tc

• junky
#2 Re: Can Cannabis make me a better athlete?
January 20, 2015, 04:57:33 pm
Uuh...what was the question again?

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Can Cannabis make me a better athlete?
January 20, 2015, 05:02:06 pm

Pringles are the answer though...

Durbs

• forum hero
#4 Re: Can Cannabis make me a better athlete?
January 20, 2015, 05:27:34 pm
Interesting read.

Seems to work for Sharma and DG - quite possibly (probably...) others too.

For bouldering, I would say (based on zero science, but some experience) there's a dip in physical strength, but an increase in awareness/concentration/technique.

I've always assumed it's banned on the anti-anxiety basis i.e. reduces competitive nerves, rather than gives you an athletic advantage, but maybe the two are linked?

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#5 Re: Can Cannabis make me a better athlete?
January 20, 2015, 06:44:38 pm
For bouldering, I would say (based on zero science, but some experience) there's a dip in physical strength, but an increase in awareness/concentration/technique.

Not sure about the awareness/concentration.. For instance...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#6 Re: Can Cannabis make me a better athlete?
January 20, 2015, 09:00:58 pm
I think one day at Buoux, cannabis did help me to become a better climber.

Knowing it well I agreed to show two friends of a friend, up for the weekend from Lyon, round the cliff.

Their first action after completing one warm up was to fire up a pipe and invite me to lead the party wherever I chose.  They were blown away by the beauty of the place, hanging out on Les Diamants ledge etc etc but reluctant to try too hard.

I've never onsighted so many sport routes, having utterly cooperative belayers all too happy meander along, ne'er a complaint uttered. A memorable day - for me :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:19:29 pm by mrjonathanr »

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#7 Re: Can Cannabis make me a better athlete?
January 20, 2015, 10:25:20 pm
yes, but not nearly as good as meth though....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#8 Re: Can Cannabis make me a better athlete?
January 20, 2015, 10:26:16 pm
It can definitely make you a happier one!

The best athlete is the one having the most fun, and a J or two can see to that.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#9 Re: Can Cannabis make me a better athlete?
January 20, 2015, 10:40:50 pm
I loose concentration too easily.... Smoke it after for anti inflammatory effects

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
I used to always chong and especially at the crag and haven't noticed any improvement in my ability since quitting... I think I used to "feel" better when I climbed stoned and certainly my hardest sends were always under the influence. Doesn't work for everyone though!

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
Never found it made that much difference either way unless you smoked way too much.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.

Oh I wasn't partaking, the lads were just happy to amble and belay wherever i suggested, occasionally trying a toprope here and there. Not sure your suggestion would have worked so well.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
Not directed at you - it was meant as a reply to the topic question

Whyatt

• menacing presence
Cant see it I'd judt get paranoid and go home

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog

Wasn't that supposedly the secret diet of a certain hard sportclimber from years past?

mark s

• junky
i can see dozens of other things i would prefer to take if been a better athlete was my aim.

using my gf as a Guinea pig,id say it will make you want to sit on your arse and watch tv

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
using my gf as a Guinea pig

this produces some very odd images in my mind

tomtom

• forum hero
using my gf as a Guinea pig

this produces some very odd images in my mind

Have another toot and it'll all make sense...

sherlock

• obsessive maniac
A friend of  mine doesn't get this "reduces anxiety thing".He finds it actually increases anxiety (paranoid is far too strong a word) but this might be from long time use (35+ years) but then he doesn't consider himself an athlete either.
More of a happy punter......I suppose that it might be chicken or egg question.Man.
 :whistle:

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Interesting read.

Seems to work for Sharma and DG - quite possibly (probably...) others too.

I've always assumed it's banned on the anti-anxiety basis i.e. reduces competitive nerves, rather than gives you an athletic advantage, but maybe the two are linked?

An increase in awareness/concentration with cannabis, utter drivel.

rodma

• forum hero

i think that the increase in concentration comes from only (just) managing to think about one thing at a time, whereas the unfoggy mind can cope with thinking about work, dinner, sharking etc.

the stoner mind thinks "wow, this hold feels really small, i can't believe I'm still holding it, this feels really easy to hold this time for some reason", followed by heckles from their mates of "for the love of god would you just pull on or step away from the problem!!!"

SA Chris

• forum hero
Exactly. I think you need to have just the right amount though, overdo it though and everything goes to pot (pardon the pun).

PipeSmoke

• menacing presence
To be fair it all depends on person, I have one mate who gets stoned, climbs for 20 mins, then the boulder mat becomes a sofa and then a bed. where as another friend of mine seems to focus better and doesnt get so pissed off at failing, unless hes proper stoned, then he just devours his lunch and has a relax. so im not sure about better athlete but i definitely think it doesn't have many negative effects for some people , and makes the day out a good laugh (well they seem happy enough!)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.

i think that the increase in concentration comes from only (just) managing to think about one thing at a time, whereas the unfoggy mind can cope with thinking about work, dinner, sharking etc.

the stoner mind thinks "wow, this hold feels really small, i can't believe I'm still holding it, this feels really easy to hold this time for some reason", followed by heckles from their mates of "for the love of god would you just pull on or step away from the problem!!!"

You might perceive concentration/focus being greater when under the influence but it is absolutely empiorical bollocks that it actually is.

rodma

• forum hero

i think that the apparent increase in concentration comes from only (just) managing to think about one thing at a time, whereas the unfoggy mind can cope with thinking about work, dinner, sharking etc.

You might perceive concentration/focus being greater when under the influence but it is absolutely empiorical bollocks that it actually is.

yes you're quite correct, i accidentally missed out a vital word that i have now inserted, but i had thought you'd have understood me given my second sentence

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
I don't think you needed that extra word

if a greater % of a persons available attention and thoughts are aimed at a thing, then they are concentrating on it more

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
I don't think you needed that extra word

if a greater % of a persons available attention and thoughts are aimed at a thing, then they are concentrating on it more
That's like saying if it takes me 100% of effort to lift something vs only 50% of lifting effort to lift that same thing, then I'm lifting more.  Obviously Bollocks.  It just means I'm lifting closer to my capacity. 

Hence if being stoned reducing my capacity for concentration by 50%, then I can at most concentrate at 50% of my non-stoned capacity.  If your capacity was shit to begin with, it doesn't mean you actually got better.  Just that you had shit capacity to begin with.  You'd be better off learning to concentrate better. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
Well, depends how well you concentrated before. If you only used 30% of 100%, surely 100% of 50% is better?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
deep

I had a brilliant idea that explained and solved this issue for all of mankind for all of time, but it seems to have gone

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I had a brilliant idea that explained and solved this issue for all of mankind for all of time, but it seems to have gone
42?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal