UKBouldering.com

Foam rollin' (Read 16373 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#25 Re: Foam rollin'
January 20, 2015, 06:01:22 pm

Got kinesio tape too. Never used it tho. But i think the claims behind that are more extreme than foam rollers. I wouldn't place too much faith in science,  hasn't TomTom got a PhD and look at the crap he spouts ;)

:D Its how I made my career...

That tape has got to have placebo effects only surely...

*I had a couple of Molars out this morning so the 'crap spouting ometer(tm)' is at the top of the scale...

chris j

• forum abuser
#26 Re: Foam rollin'
January 20, 2015, 06:26:59 pm

I see people who are barely training doing corrective / mobility exercies (as training, not supplementing it) and it being pushed in a number of ways, yes. I can't comment on foam rolling specifically, but as I said above, this struck a chord with me.

Do they have any training goals other than perfect posture and mobility? If so I can't imagine how anyone would believe rolling on a foam tube would be more effective than say actual training towards their goals, but people never fail to surprise me.

Foam Rollin is basically using a big foam tube to self massage muscles.

Like Sasquatch said, foam rolling to self-massage, for me to break up knotted muscle to aid stretching, I can't really imagine it being much good for anything else.

Had kinesio tape used on me once by a massage therapist, not sure why. I sported a pink stripe down my thigh for a day or two, no long term effect I could discern...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#27 Re: Foam rollin'
January 20, 2015, 08:31:24 pm
Like Sasquatch said, foam rolling to self-massage, for me to break up knotted muscle to aid stretching, I can't really imagine it being much good for anything else.

This.  It works a treat for me to soften up the upper back, shoulders and open up the spine.

JJP

• addict
#28 Re: Foam rollin'
January 20, 2015, 09:38:02 pm
I started using one for a lower/ mid back problem on the advice of a physio and it has worked really well.  Similar to others I also find it great for the upper back after climbing.

Stubbs

#29 Re: Foam rollin'
January 20, 2015, 10:57:23 pm

That latter paragraph really struck a cord with what I, hopefully including some SCIENCE?

There's a few papers knocking around, I recommend Google to search for your own SCIENCE! E.g.:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24343353/

J.Kydd

• player
#30 Re: Foam rollin'
January 21, 2015, 09:17:50 am
I've been using a roller for a couple of years now.
Coming from a background in biketrials, I was mainly focusing on my upper back/shoulders + quads after a long/intense ride. Particularly if I was going to be riding consecutive days

Since coming to the climbing world, I've found it's definitely helped alongside stretching to release tension in my ridiculously tight hip flexors + hamstrings

Mine is just a basic one from 66fit and it's been excellent
 http://www.physiosupplies.com/66fit-epp-foam-roller-black-15cm-x-45cm.html

galpinos

• forum hero
#31 Re: Foam rollin'
January 21, 2015, 12:22:39 pm

That latter paragraph really struck a cord with what I, hopefully including some SCIENCE?

There's a few papers knocking around, I recommend Google to search for your own SCIENCE! E.g.:

I think Paul's larger point is a bit like yoga, powerballs etc. What are the relative benefits in your climbing ability of dicking around on a piece of foam to spnding that time training. Most of us have limited amount of training time (I'm not trsaining 30hrs a week) so are we using that time as efficiently as possible.

Stubbs

#32 Re: Foam rollin'
January 21, 2015, 01:45:31 pm
Comparing to yoga and powerballs isn't particularly appropriate as foam rolling is about aiding recovery following training, rather than as a supplement or replacement to any form of training.   It takes max 10 mins after a session, even if you aren't training 30 hrs a week, as FD said before, most people can find 10 mins before getting into bed to have a bit of a roll!

Studies that I've seen seem to suggest that it aids recovery and decreases muscle soreness, sounds like a good use of 10 mins to me!

tomtom

• forum hero
#33 Re: Foam rollin'
January 21, 2015, 06:27:10 pm
Anyway.. Looking at Aldi's website it seems these were one of their specials a few weeks back - so you'll be lucky to find some... Assuming they sell like hot cakes/discounted prosecco ;)

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#34 Re: Foam rollin'
January 21, 2015, 06:32:37 pm
Comparing to yoga and powerballs isn't particularly appropriate as foam rolling is about aiding recovery following training, rather than as a supplement or replacement to any form of training.   It takes max 10 mins after a session, even if you aren't training 30 hrs a week, as FD said before, most people can find 10 mins before getting into bed to have a bit of a roll!

Studies that I've seen seem to suggest that it aids recovery and decreases muscle soreness, sounds like a good use of 10 mins to me!

Agreed. I'm a big fan, when I can MTFU and go through the pain....

Paul B

• forum hero
#35 Re: Foam rollin'
January 21, 2015, 06:54:02 pm

I will do, I'll then make sure to write it up on the Wiki so there's no need to discuss it in the future  :-[

Being less flippant; some people on here are fairly clued up with things like this and the surrounding SCIENCE, I was hoping for that kind of input (likely due to laziness).

Stubbs

#36 Re: Foam rollin'
January 21, 2015, 11:10:09 pm
There only seems to have been small studies done on the science front, but anecdotally just from UKB users they seem to be popular and effective. If I remember to use mine on my shoulders after a board sesh I notice the reduction in soreness the next day, using them on my legs after cycling is very painful, but very effective at reducing soreness also.

As I said, <ten fuck alls for a roller and 10 mins of your time before bed, doesn't seem to be that much to lose in trying out your own n=1 study!

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#37 Re: Foam rollin'
January 22, 2015, 06:15:19 am
Todd Hargrove of bettermovement.org

There is very limited evidence about what benefit, if any, foam rolling confers. But there are at least a few studies showing that it leads to short term increases in range of motion that are not accompanied by strength loss. (This is interesting because stretching interventions tend to show increased range of motion that are associated with a loss of strength and power.)

I use one as part of my recovery/mobility routine, mostly on forearms and calves before stretching them.

Paul B

• forum hero
#38 Re: Foam rollin'
January 22, 2015, 10:06:25 am
As I said, <ten fuck alls for a roller and 10 mins of your time before bed, doesn't seem to be that much to lose in trying out your own n=1 study!

Given the UKB response I probably will be purchasing one shortly. I noticed someone carrying one for Camille Le Blanc Bazinet the other day so that's enough for me.  :wub:

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#39 Re: Foam rollin'
January 22, 2015, 10:59:59 am
A lot of top athletes have sport massage regularly to help recovery and to iron out any muscular issues so I don't know how people can say that a foam roller is pointless. I have tight calves, hamstrings and quads but if I foam roller them a lot before a run I don't have any issues. If I don't I wreck them for about a week.

Paul B

• forum hero
#40 Re: Foam rollin'
January 22, 2015, 12:01:36 pm
Likewise I can't see how people can say Accapi helped their performance... but they do.  ;D /flippant

People tend to jump on bandwagons (myself included). However, the masses of UKB have spoken!

webbo

• forum hero
#41 Re: Foam rollin'
January 29, 2015, 06:18:03 pm
I've been using a roller for a couple of years now.
Coming from a background in biketrials, I was mainly focusing on my upper back/shoulders + quads after a long/intense ride. Particularly if I was going to be riding consecutive days

Since coming to the climbing world, I've found it's definitely helped alongside stretching to release tension in my ridiculously tight hip flexors + hamstrings

Mine is just a basic one from 66fit and it's been excellent
 http://www.physiosupplies.com/66fit-epp-foam-roller-black-15cm-x-45cm.html
Thanks for the heads up for this supplier, I found as I own my own nurses outfit I could registrar as a Professional and get up to 50% discount. :dance1:

erm, sam

• forum hero
#42 Re: Foam rollin'
January 30, 2015, 02:51:21 am
I'm with Sasquatch. Lacross balls are the future. I use a lacross ball much more than a foam roller, it is amazing after a bouldering session to de tighten the back and scap muscles etc. I mostly use a foam roller to warm up my back before using a lacross ball peanut (two lacross balls taped together) to do the central back muscles and then a single lacross ball to beast the scap/rhombus muscles to oblivion. They end up much less tight and I think I have less stiffness the next day. Buy three and you will never look back.

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
#43 Re: Foam rollin'
January 30, 2015, 07:27:42 am
a lacross ball peanut (two lacross balls taped together)
genius!!!! i'm getting two more lacrosse balls tomorrow.

chris j

• forum abuser
#44 Re: Foam rollin'
January 30, 2015, 07:51:52 am
I'm using these http://www.66fit.com/66fit-acupressure-trigger-point-massage-balls.html as well as the roller at the moment - great for getting in deep to break up knots the roller can't touch. Similar to the lacrosse ball in size, comes in a set of 3 of different densities for ~ £8 from Amazon (other supplies are available etc).

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#45 Re: Foam rollin'
January 30, 2015, 08:02:51 am
It was a while back when they came in beast, just after new year I think. I bought mine last night, it wasn't the last one in the shop either. Might be worth taking the Lexus around the ring road and finding another Aldi, or getting others in other areas to put out their feelers for you...

Very surprisingly managed to pick one up for 6 point 99 fuck alls in Aldi, St Johns yesterday. Already feeling like a newborn baby from rolling, good shout Andy!

andy_e

• forum hero
#46 Re: Foam rollin'
January 30, 2015, 08:26:30 am
Are we forgetting the fuck-all to £ exchange rate or has it changed? 1 fuck-all = £2.50 therefore the roller cost you 2.8 fuck-alls... Glad to be of assistance Mr. Mills!

TheTwig

• stalker
#47 Re: Foam rollin'
February 04, 2015, 03:41:53 am
I got a rumbleroller (fairly hard with big spikes!) for like £30 a few years back. Some of the best money I ever spent. Before I had it I had a really bad lower back due to bad posture as a teenager and always had extremely tight muscles that knotted up. I roll my back and as much of my shoulder area as possible. Lying on your side you can do the sides of shoulders and biceps nicely, as well as calfs, hamstrings, quads etc etc etc. All in all foam rollers are amazing  :thumbsup:

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#48 Re: Foam rollin'
February 04, 2015, 01:28:03 pm
3.99 in addition atm, foam rollers and expertise balls, or there were in the one at the Darnall turn off from Sheffield parkway.

dr_botnik

• addict
  • Not actually a dr
#49 Re: Foam rollin'
February 04, 2015, 08:14:20 pm
3.99 in addition atm, foam rollers and expertise balls, or there were in the one at the Darnall turn off from Sheffield parkway.

I meant aldi dammit. Apparently you can just cut a piece of pipe up if your really skint.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal