UKBouldering.com

Who would be your professional climber of choice?? (Read 6945 times)

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
Not in that way...

If you could spend a few days on a crag with any professional climber (worldwide), who would you choose?
For bouldering?
For routes?

Which professional athlete do you think you would learn the most from and would be the best coach?

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Dave Mac
Dave Mac
Dave Mac

JackAus

• junky
Dave Mac
Dave Mac
Dave Mac
This. 100% this.

blamo

• addict

Jibe Tribout for routes  :sorry:

Malcolm Smith for bouldering (I think I gained a V grade by just taking the advice he gave on a few short videos).

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
Caff and Tom Randall both also know a thing or two about both climbing and coaching, or so I hear.

Of the two professional climbers I have had coaching sessions with, I got more from Calum Muskett than from Toni Lamprecht (even though Toni is a special needs teacher in his day job)

Also, absolutely top great & famous climber does not necessarily correlate with great coaching ability. (See also: football managers. The great managers were mostly good-but-not-great players). I've also had useful coaching sessions with a guy called Markus Grünebach, who owns and sets at one of my local walls, climbs 8b on routes and has been Bavarian bouldering champion a couple of times.

But if it's coaching you want, how about an actual coach? Udo Neumann, Reini Scherer for example? (Assuming no language barrier)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Dave Mac
Dave Mac
Dave Mac
Sell the kids.
Change house.
Build a wall.
That'll be £ 300, please.
 ;)

petejh

• forum hero
Is this a coaching question?

If so I imagine there must be a bias towards preferring whichever 'professional coach' resonates with your personal beliefs about the best way to improve.
i.e. if you're weak but think technique and getting weight through your feet is, for you, the answer to improvement than Malc Smith's advice may resonate less than Dave Mac's.

kelvin

• forum hero
What Pete said.

Of the coaching stuff I've had, then Lucy Creamer was the one I've feel I've benefited most from. I've also been rather fortunate to have cragged and climbed with proper foreign wads this last three years and what I've seen from them is pure enthusiasm and the ability to try hard, all the time but rarely had good advice on technique that I can put into effect straight away, rather than long term.

Although on Sunday, I climbed with a lad called Kev at the Cuttings and whilst he 'only' climbs in the 7s - the few bits of advice he gave me I think will be far more beneficial in the long term than most of the advice I've received. Mainly down to the manner it was delivered, the fact that it made sense and was applicable to me now - the guy's not a coach or a professional but does that matter?

Doylo

• forum hero
John Redhead for penis talk.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
Is this a coaching question?

If so I imagine there must be a bias towards preferring whichever 'professional coach' resonates with your personal beliefs about the best way to improve.
i.e. if you're weak but think technique and getting weight through your feet is, for you, the answer to improvement than Malc Smith's advice may resonate less than Dave Mac's.

Give Dave Mac some more credit. He is an experienced Coach and has a Sports Science background and whilst there would be some biases Dave Mac's advice would change depending on his diagnosis your relative weaknesses. It doesn't (or shouldn't) matter what advice resonates best its what advice is right for your needs. This might be unpalatable and I would have little doubt that he would hold back in doling it out.

tomtom

• forum hero
Lagerstarfish.

He also makes a mean cup of at the crag expresso.. (optional extra).

I claim my 20% finders fee for all sessions resulting from this post :)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
If you could spend a few days on a crag with any professional climber (worldwide), who would you choose?
For bouldering?
For routes?

Ditto Pete. Is this a coaching question? or is it what legend would you like to spend a day with?  :-\ That would be a more interesting question.

galpinos

• forum hero
....... expresso.........

Argh!

Don't make me post that Mitchell and Webb clip again.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero

Argh!

:agree:

Mods: is it possible to ban somebody from a specific thread? Such as, hypothetically, the Serious Delirium thread?

galpinos

• forum hero

Argh!

Mods: is it possible to ban somebody from a specific thread? Such as, hypothetically, the Serious Delirium thread?

I've just mentally discounted all Tom's coffee machine suggestions on that thread.

tomtom

• forum hero

Argh!

I've just mentally discounted all Tom's coffee machine suggestions on that thread.

I'm at one with my Aeropress now (can I join the club?). OK, It should be espresso sorry, doff my cap, beat my back with birch twigs etc... anyway, at least I know about calling it the peaks district ;)

abarro81

• forum hero
Coaching: probably one of the coaches from a euro lead team. Perhaps France, Austria or Slovenia? Don't know about what the coaches are like, just presume they'd be good. Failing that maybe one of the experienced comp climbers like Desranges.

Person to spend the day climbing with - perhaps Yuji? Though I'd like to have a kneebar and toehook session with DG.

petejh

• forum hero

Argh!

Shame on you TT! That's on par with mixing up font 8a with font 8A and French 8A with French 8a.

Paul B

• forum hero
I'd love to spend a day with Arnaud Petit (or Nina Caprez). I think both would hand out a fair 'education'.

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
Patxi. But instead of going climbing, I'd probably just come armed with a laptop, a pen and paper and try and get as much good training know-how into my brain as possible.

Seeing as it's a whole day, we could then put these ideas into practice while getting an idea of how hard you can actually push it with good assistance from a trainer.

:strongbench:

petejh

• forum hero
Coaching day - Ondra and make notes about how he applies Patxi's advice/plans.

Climbing day - Ondra and make notes about how he applies Patxi's advice/plans.

Shark - if I wanted advice on moving house I'd go to Daltons Weekly  ;)

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Reading this thread I really am surprised at the number and diversity of alternative spellings of "Sierra Blair-Coyle"

petejh

• forum hero
Phwoorrrrrrrr

It feels like a little bit of DFB&BWGC

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
Wojciech Kurtyka, of course.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal