UKBouldering.com

4 Month old finger injury.. (Read 1420 times)

bigdrew

• regular
4 Month old finger injury..
January 09, 2015, 05:56:36 pm
Hate to post another finger injury topic but I'm starting to get a bit worried..

Middle of September I felt a pretty nasty crunching feeling in my index finger. I was crimping but didn't slip or shock load it I was pretty still at the time. At first I thought it was an A2 injury. So did the normal couple of weeks rest then climbing lightly but only occasionally (MUCH less than normal) for about a month then stopped climbing and mostly rode my MTB instead. (I know leaving these can be bad so I suspect I've done it no favours there)

The whole time it has ached every day, not a lot but a constant dull ache, enough for me to be very aware of it . I've started trying to climb more regularly (twice a week) hoping it might have improved it, it aches slightly more during + after climbing but not too badly. Hurts more if it is cold..

Pressing into the base doesn't hurt, I can even crimp without upsetting it although I've been avoiding it.

I have tweaked the same finger a couple of years ago when I did shock load it, but it has been completely back to normal for well over a year just with a bit of a lump inside. This felt fine day to day but hurt when crimping which is pretty normal for A2 tweak.

I am planning to carry on with the light climbing till end of Jan then head to the doctors if it hasn't shown any sign of improving..

Anyone had a similar constant pain?

cjsheps

• obsessive maniac
  • The Hero Gotham Deserves.
#1 Re: 4 Month old finger injury..
January 09, 2015, 06:11:52 pm
I'd suggest seeing a physio and receiving some professional advice about what's wrong and what you can do to fix it. If it's not getting better, it may be chronic and you don't want to make it worse.

You mention that you ride MTB - I found that poorly-adjusted brake levers on my road bike have contributed to a front-two injuries in the past. It's a long shot, but maybe look at how tight your cables are!

I feel you pain...

rodma

• forum hero
#2 Re: 4 Month old finger injury..
January 09, 2015, 06:15:58 pm
I'd suggest seeing a physio and receiving some professional advice about what's wrong and what you can do to fix it. If it's not getting better, it may be chronic and you don't want to make it worse.

You mention that you ride MTB - I found that poorly-adjusted brake levers on my road bike have contributed to a front-two injuries in the past. It's a long shot, but maybe look at how tight your cables are!

I feel you pain...
And seeing how tight your forearms are as well as your bike cables.

I've had dull pain apparently from pulleys before (for years ) that's been as a result of knots/tension in the forearm.

Get yourself checked out by a pro pro

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal