UKBouldering.com

Indoor Technique (Read 20037 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#75 Re: Indoor Technique
January 10, 2015, 09:07:39 am
I wore some Ron hills once in the early 90's and I was laughed at because they were baggy :-/

I once met Gandhi, he said "f'king 'ell you've got thin legs"!  I've given up using a head-torch at site inspections - got fed up with being mistaken for an anglepoise lamp.

blamo

• addict
#76 Re: Indoor Technique
January 11, 2015, 12:08:04 am

This is indeed a strength, technique and flexibility issue.  Taller people as a result of being more able to lank develop slightly different techniques than shorter people.  This is not "easier" or "harder" just different.  What you're referring to is a technique and strength shorties have to learn from nearly day 1 in climbing and lanksters can skip and may have to learn later.  In my experience, shorties also tend to be more bendy than tallies.  I can assure you that with a strong enough core and enough flexibility, you can work with those holds.  Work on obliques, triceps, and felxibility.   

Well said!  :clap2: The real secret is to be moderate height, then you can complain all the shorty problems are too scrunchy and all the lank problems are too lanky!  :punk:

In the end I definitely get more return by isolating what I suck at and working on it.  The other plus is that projecting your anti-style (read shortie's warm-up) helps kill the ego.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 12:16:19 am by blamo »

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#77 Re: Indoor Technique
January 11, 2015, 11:52:30 am
I had a session yesterday after 5 days off and I was being as careful as I could after injuring the A2 on my ring finger. I don't know if it was just a new set that suited me but I really enjoyed the session and everything felt better because I was concentrating more on my feet and technique to avoid pissing off the finger. Seems like there might be some merit to this technique malarkey after all. I didn't do anything overly hard but it was very apparent when I really focussed on my body position and foot position that the hands took much less abuse.

Doing that also seemed to lead to better employment of the feet and core on the harder stuff. I think sometimes I never quite get the core fully warmed up and this makes harder routes feel more nails than they should.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#78 Re: Indoor Technique
January 11, 2015, 04:57:45 pm
we are not (with the exception of Nibs) machines
;D
Only just seen this! Made me laugh! I take it as a compliment!

rodma

• forum hero
#79 Re: Indoor Technique
January 11, 2015, 08:39:01 pm
we are not (with the exception of Nibs) machines
;D
Only just seen this! Made me laugh! I take it as a compliment!
It is intended as one :)

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#80 Re: Indoor Technique
January 12, 2015, 09:56:48 am

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#81 Re: Indoor Technique
January 12, 2015, 11:13:01 am
 :2thumbsup:
Brilliant!
I'm printing it!