UKBouldering.com

bike sheds/outdor storage (Read 4641 times)

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
bike sheds/outdor storage
December 22, 2014, 11:00:16 pm
been given an ultimatum that I've got to sort something to store the bike out of the house, got a budget of max £200, large garden so size not a massive issue.
5 bike (3 adult, 2 kids), will probably still keep my nice bike in the house anyway, think its a toss up between one of those dedicated bike storage boxes (£££) or a second hand shed off ebay that'll I'll kit out with a bike hanger rack down 1 wall and build some sort of plate with which to chain all the bikes together.
Any thoughts/experience or knowledge UKB?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: bike sheds/outdor storage
December 23, 2014, 07:51:05 am
Shed is probably most flexible space - and putting my burglar hat on, bike storage box says bikes inside, wonky shed says loads of junk inside.. Only prob is finding a secure padlock that doesn't look too flash..

You could always put a ground anchor / bury a big blob of concrete with a shackle under the middle of the shed with a chain link etc coming up through the floor..

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#2 Re: bike sheds/outdor storage
December 23, 2014, 08:11:06 am
I agree with TomTom. Use your budget for locks and a ground anchor. No shed, garage or bike storage is that secure so don't depend on thin wood  or metal as your security. A scruffy shed built around this badboy in concrete...
.http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/oxford-terra-force-heavy-duty-ground-anchor/rp-prod8496
And a decent chain. No windows if you can avoid it. If you have one extend your house alarm to it, easy if its wireless. Build it big enough for 6+ adult bikes, the kids bikes aren't going to get smaller or less valuable. Big dirty blanket or dust sheet over the lot so nothing shiny is in sight to nosey parkers.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#3 Re: bike sheds/outdor storage
December 23, 2014, 09:13:11 am
I knew it was Jo keeping you working, no man in their right mind would do as much work on the house as you  ;)

cofe

• forum hero
#4 Re: bike sheds/outdor storage
December 23, 2014, 09:25:15 am
I agree with TomTom. Use your budget for locks and a ground anchor. No shed, garage or bike storage is that secure so don't depend on thin wood  or metal as your security. A scruffy shed built around this badboy in concrete...
.http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/oxford-terra-force-heavy-duty-ground-anchor/rp-prod8496
And a decent chain. No windows if you can avoid it. If you have one extend your house alarm to it, easy if its wireless. Build it big enough for 6+ adult bikes, the kids bikes aren't going to get smaller or less valuable. Big dirty blanket or dust sheet over the lot so nothing shiny is in sight to nosey parkers.

I hope you're looking forward to coming round to sort my new garage out in a month or two word… ;)

rich d

• forum hero
#5 Re: bike sheds/outdor storage
December 23, 2014, 12:48:57 pm
I hope that's a euphemism

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#6 Re: bike sheds/outdor storage
December 23, 2014, 01:14:52 pm
You could always put a ground anchor / bury a big blob of concrete with a shackle under the middle of the shed with a chain link etc coming up through the floor..
Another vote for a concrete base ring. This is the method my Dad uses for his motorbike, along with several chains of varying strength. This method ensures not only has the twat who breaks in has to have the right tools, but it takes some time too. Coupled with a bright light on a movement sensor and it's a pretty effective deterrent.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#7 Re: bike sheds/outdor storage
December 23, 2014, 09:08:33 pm
+1 for the ground anchor and a bloody big chain. Have always used Abus ground anchors, near on burnt my drill out putting the holes in the concrete garage floor putting the last one in. And once in place, you hammer ball bearings in to the hex bolt heads to bloody hard to ever remove too. I would imagine most tin pot burglars would take a quick look at the size of the chain and anchor and probably just nick your BBQ instead.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#8 Re: bike sheds/outdor storage
December 23, 2014, 09:45:15 pm
What big tub said...

BUT

These guys know all the shit.

They will leave the frame... An rob yr bits  off the bike whilst you sleep..

DONT ride a Mtb from yr house, and then back again, drive to a set off point.. Then drive back, after a detour.. Supermarket car park etc...

Think I'm paranoid?? Search the forums.

I'm disgusted I have to give this advice, it's so so the right way to do this... Because you will be watched, and followed... Seriously.

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#9 Re: bike sheds/outdor storage
January 12, 2015, 06:03:09 pm
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bike-Storage-Cycle-Locker-Protect/dp/B0030BS4J0/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1421084611&sr=1-1

I have one of these which I really rate. It comes with a lot of heavy duty locks and ground anchors that would be worth a lot in their own right. Its over budget.

But how bad is the bike shed crime where you live?

'bike storage box says bikes inside, wonky shed says loads of junk inside'

Thats an interesting point but since my patio is smaller than Jims trampoline I only had one choice. If i were you Jim I'd build a triple garage with a work shop and a Works style climbing wall.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#10 Re: bike sheds/outdor storage
July 17, 2015, 04:26:20 pm
If anyones still in the market for bike storage these look tougher and cheaper than some...
http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/bike-cycle-storage/large-metal-bike-shed

Reprobate_Rob

• menacing presence
#11 Re: bike sheds/outdor storage
July 17, 2015, 04:38:56 pm
Yeah, we got one of those last year and I really rate it. Very solid and you can install a ground anchor/bolt it to the ground fairly easily. You'd make a fair racket trying to get into it too.
I've squeezed 5 bikes (3 roadies and 2 hybrids) and a few power tools into the 4 bike shed (have to turn the bars on a couple of the bikes though)

Also, after checking with our bike insurers (Protect your bubble I think) it is classed as a garage, rather than a shed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal