UKBouldering.com

Drytooling (Read 12625 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#25 Re: Drytooling
December 15, 2014, 03:43:09 pm
The UK version, rendition special trains. replacement bus service

There, fixed that for you

Depends if its government run, or whether the MK Snowdome Hipster Drytooling Detention Facility is staffed by G4S/Serco etc...

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#26 Re: Drytooling
December 15, 2014, 04:00:57 pm
As long as it's npt built on a PFI contract I don't care if it's run by the Sally Ann

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#27 Re: Drytooling
December 15, 2014, 04:17:23 pm
Does it really happen at local walls?

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/british-tooling-series-2014

Guess it's something else to diversify interest?

Clart

• obsessive maniac
  • Safe as f*ck
#28 Re: Drytooling
December 15, 2014, 04:58:12 pm
...., so i'd suggest people to give it a try and form their opinions. It'll not be everybody's cup of tea, but...

The internet would be a pretty dull place if people had to have knowledge/ experience before forming an opinion. Fortunately neither is necessary in this case. Dry tooling indoors with rock shoes is an act of high deviancy and should be catered for in an appropriate deviancy web forum

Lopez

• stalker
#29 Re: Drytooling
December 15, 2014, 05:32:08 pm
Mmmmh...  :-\ I didn't mean that people had to have experienced it to have an opinion, though i guess it could be understood that way.

What i suggested is that if people gave it a try they would likely change their opinions. or not.

I'm not particularly into dry tooling myself, mainly due to geographical and economical reasons (living in freaking London with no car) but in my time i've seen most people enjoying their first session and vouching to go back and get more into it when they were apprehensive about it before, and even those who admitted that it's not for them they still gain a bit of respect for the people doing as it's not "aid climbing while hanging on jugs" like it may seem from the outside.

Just feel that DT is probably the most misunderstood and maligned form of climbing and it deserves a bit more insight before throwing the dogs at it, that's all.  :worms:

tomtom

• forum hero
#30 Re: Drytooling
December 15, 2014, 05:50:22 pm
I was just taking the piss :)

Of course it is for deviants!! :D

petejh

• forum hero
#31 Re: Drytooling
December 15, 2014, 06:05:46 pm
I totally get the derision aimed by some at drytooling - it is a tricky genre for an outsider to appreciate. I'm just happy to be able to do my own thing enjoying everything and I'm lucky enough to have lived and climbed in N.America where I experienced how cool this type of climbing can be.
It probably doesn't help that there are some truly uninspiring drytooling routes in the UK and they're often the easier routes aimed at beginers. Basically a ladder of drilled holes in a slightly leaning blank wall - all that's required to climb them is the ability to hold onto an axe handle for a couple of minutes and move from secure drilled hole to drilled hole on a 20 degree wall. At the other end of the quality spectrum there are some truly brilliant lines requiring precision, strength and technique on good visual lines (in minging quarries...).
It's always going to be a pretty niche thing and in the UK especially there's always going to be a whole load of snobbish idiots to knock it who haven't experienced and/or don't like to stray much outside their comfort zone. I think quality speaks for itself and good routes are just good routes, no matter the style.

Edit - Habrich, ^ exactly this, I lived in Canmore.

gme

• forum hero
#32 Re: Drytooling
December 15, 2014, 06:08:49 pm
I wasnt deriding dry tooling at all just found the comp reported on UKC a bit odd/crap.

How ever now you mention that they drill holes it starts sound really crap outside too.

abarro81

• forum hero
#33 Re: Drytooling
December 15, 2014, 06:30:52 pm
How ever now you mention that they drill holes it starts sound really crap outside too.

I thought you were from the Buoux generation Gav  ;)

petejh

• forum hero
#34 Re: Drytooling
December 15, 2014, 07:14:44 pm
I wasnt deriding dry tooling at all just found the comp reported on UKC a bit odd/crap.

I wasn't posting with you in mind gme - I meant there are lots of people who knock it.

And lots of things can sound crap - gluing bits of rock together does - but, until a person makes the effort to experience whatever it is, their opinion of it can only be uneducated.

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
#35 Re: Drytooling
December 22, 2014, 04:35:54 pm
I've done a bit of indoor drytooling, but mostly using those strap things. I didn't really like it but felt it was worth it for the pump.

Real dry tooling, especially when the placements are natural, is much better. I don't do it very often (usually around this time of year just before the winter conditions really take off) but I know that when I do it makes a big difference to how fit/confident I feel when I get on steep winter routes.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal