UKBouldering.com

Fontainebleau: save the "big four"! (Read 2975 times)

ghisino

• forum abuser
Fontainebleau: save the "big four"!
December 14, 2014, 08:26:17 pm
The anti-erosion barriers around the big 4 in cuvier rempart are in bad shape, and sand keeps moving above them (where there is no anti-erosion barrier).

The french authority owning the Fontainebleau forest has finally decided to do something about it but they ask a little help from the climbers.

some small sandstone blocks have been piled at the bottom of the path going up to the climbing area, on the route Mory pathway.

Climbers are kindly asked to take one block and haul it at least partially up, but ideally all the way to Big Boss (though not directly on the landing platform, nor as cheastone  :P)

please help if you pass by!

http://bleau.info/forum/28587.html

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1 Re: Fontainebleau: save the "big four"!
December 14, 2014, 08:39:22 pm
Good idea, but what about putting some mesh down and encouraging some grass and other sort of vegetation to stabilise the soil as well?

ghisino

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Fontainebleau: save the "big four"!
December 17, 2014, 09:14:04 pm
what about putting some mesh down and encouraging some grass and other sort of vegetation to stabilise the soil as well?

it may or may not work depending on the specific soil ans sun exposition (in this case it includes steep gullies in between boulders)

assuming it would work, i see a few reasons why the ONF (the landowner) goes for the stone walls:

1)they want a cheap solution requiring minimal expertise (as the wooden planks were)
2)once you have vegetation you need a way to keep it there - i.e. avoid people walking over it, dragging crashpads, etc..

cha1n

• forum hero
#3 Re: Fontainebleau: save the "big four"!
December 21, 2014, 01:47:15 am
These guys were taking measurements once when I was up at Fourmis Rouge and explained that the boulders are moving slightly every year. Can't remember the exact figure but it was something like a cm, more than I'd imagine.

The big 4 are only going to get steeper!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal