UKBouldering.com

weird finger injury - joint pain (Read 2074 times)

Schnell

• menacing presence
weird finger injury - joint pain
November 19, 2014, 11:08:30 pm
A few weeks back I picked up a mild a2 strain and didn't think much of it, went easy crimping and it's more or less ok now so i tried some gentle half crimping yesterday. The pulley is ok but there's pain at the back of the PIP joint. I've realised that pain was there from the start but I'd written it off as being referred from the pulley.
What I've got would seem similar to a collateral ligament strain but it principally hurts on the back of the joint right between the bones. I get pain when climbing when the PIP joint on that finger is bent, so basically any time my little finger is on. Also the closest I can get to simulating the pain is by bending the finger and trying to touch high on the palm of my hand.

Any ideas? I'd just bite the bullet and go to the physio but I went about 3 weeks ago with another tweak and cant' face shelling out again.

RockdoctorUK

#1 Re: weird finger injury - joint pain
November 19, 2014, 11:43:45 pm
It sounds like it could be the extensor tendon or related structures. Where are you based?

Schnell

• menacing presence
#2 Re: weird finger injury - joint pain
November 20, 2014, 08:37:35 am
Ireland, not in the UK. What would treatment be for an extensor tendon injury? Googling would indicate it's not a common climbing injury.

RockdoctorUK

#3 Re: weird finger injury - joint pain
November 20, 2014, 09:07:22 am
The extensor tendons (specifically the attachment to the finger bone) can cause problems. If you've been climbing long enough you get adaptive changes where the attachment point calcifies. This small bit of extra bone can either cause irritation or even break off. In other cases a simple tendon strain is possible. Usually both only need rest and some rehab, but sometimes if there is a loose bit of bone causing issues it might need more intervention. I'd suggest avoiding crimping, doing some light finger extensions (rubber band around fingers and then open fingers up) and if not settling get someone to look at it. I'm a bit far away to help in Yorkshire but if it isn't settling it'll need attention. If it starts locking up it may need an X-ray or ultrasound to rule out a loose bit of bone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schnell

• menacing presence
#4 Re: weird finger injury - joint pain
November 20, 2014, 12:45:14 pm
Erk, sounds quite unpleasant, fingers crossed it's just a strain though it's not very promising that it really hasn't seemed to get better at all in the 3 weeks of no crimping since it happened. Thanks for the knowledge anyhow.

RockdoctorUK

#5 Re: weird finger injury - joint pain
November 20, 2014, 02:18:03 pm
No worries

RockdoctorUK

#6 Re: weird finger injury - joint pain
November 20, 2014, 02:19:03 pm
As low by as the joint isn't sticking it should settle, but timeframe is variable

Schnell

• menacing presence
#7 Re: weird finger injury - joint pain
November 20, 2014, 05:17:01 pm
Ok it's definitely not sticking at any point so at least that's promising. Thanks again

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal