UKBouldering.com

O'er the hill: Lancashire Life (Read 23124 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
#25 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 10, 2014, 09:12:43 am
particularly Bolton School (get em in early)

Fuck that.

Paul B

• forum hero
#26 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 10, 2014, 12:25:53 pm
Added you on Facebook so you can see the setup.

:o

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#27 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 10, 2014, 12:48:28 pm
What's Clitheroe wall like these days? It used to be good for some old school Bendcrete crimping.

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#28 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 10, 2014, 01:24:04 pm
Not been in a few years but they still have that ace bendcrete type wall.

Paul B

• forum hero
#29 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 14, 2014, 01:22:43 pm
Well, they've offered Nat the position from Jan 6th and I should be released at that time. However, that's not a guarantee.

We still need to negotiate terms etc. but I'm thinking this will likely go ahead. Yikes.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#30 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
November 14, 2014, 04:41:41 pm
I should be released at that time.

Early Parole?

Paul B

• forum hero
#31 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 11, 2015, 06:48:54 pm
It's looking like this is on. Nat has now started working in the Skem office until the new one (around Whalley) opens and I'm set to join her on the 6/2.

We've now spent a depressing amount of time on RightMove and the houses we've favourited seem to be clustering around:

Accrington
Rossendale/Crawshawbooth
Haslingden
(Nelson - less so)

Can anyone shed any light on these areas, I really don't have a clue beyond a quick chat on FB with peewee.

We've had a few valuations on our place now which have been consistent yet looking at reviews of the Agents in question they all score terribly low. The word CVNT seems to appear quite a lot. I'm not sure we can go with an internet only agent due to being away during the week an awful lot, I think that could be problematic with viewings.

andy_e

• forum hero
#32 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 12, 2015, 09:34:22 am
Not sure about Accrington Stanley or Nelson (other than rumours) but the Rossendale/Haslingden area is my neck of the woods so I'm probably biased to say it's a decent place to live, as is Ramsbottom. Decent pubs tucked away, good connections thanks to the M66/A56, not far from BoulderUK, Earl, Lancashire bouldering, good access to Malham/Kilnsey and other Yorkshire sport venues, and the scenery is pretty nice too, rolling moors with towns tucked down in the valley bottom.

dave

#33 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 12, 2015, 12:23:26 pm

....good connections thanks to the M66/A56, not far from .......Earl,

Always good to have that reliable wet-weather option.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#34 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 12, 2015, 02:02:29 pm
Other Yorkshire options, Wigglesworth, Gargrave, Long Preston all within 30mins, nice that way and all within 20mins of Cracoe's premier training venue, (however there is a large waiting list, high yearly costs and no guests!). That road aint too bad for traffic either.

If you are keen for Nelson way, I am sure Dave Buchanan can give you some house options:  http://www.cs-b.co.uk/

I can confirm, Peewiddles board is good and BoulderUK still holds the award for; Best UK wall in a terraced house and Best setting!

Good Luck!

Paul B

• forum hero
#35 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 12, 2015, 03:37:33 pm
Other Yorkshire options, Wigglesworth, Gargrave, Long Preston all within 30mins, nice that way and all within 20mins of Cracoe's premier training venue, (however there is a large waiting list, high yearly costs and no guests!). That road aint too bad for traffic either.

I take it this is a private board of sorts?

Thanks for the other input. The office is actually nearer Langho than Whalley it'd seem.

turnipturned

• forum abuser
#36 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 12, 2015, 03:59:03 pm
Quote from: Paul B link=topic=25010.msg472069#msg472069 date=1421077053
I take it this is a private board of sorts
[/quote

Just a board at mine, anyone is welcome. There was talk of setting something kind of training facility up in Skipton!

Barnoldswick and Earby have some nice looking properties, also worth a look.

Paul B

• forum hero
#37 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 24, 2015, 05:57:43 pm
Any other thoughts on Crawshawbooth as we've seen a place we both like. Quite a lot actually. Location is a bit further away then I'd have liked for Malham etc. and Langho but commute times look reasonable (i.e. a lot less than Sheff>Leeds).

Crime is a low (10% of) what is reported around our area of Sheffield.
No flooding potential.

Our flat isn't on the market yet but we've been told that can be rectified in ~3 days (now the heating and extractor have been fixed). We think we're going to go with Reeds Rains as she seemed like a nice person and knew what a bouldering mat was.

How does offering actually work? We spoke with the owners during the visit and told them the above and that all the agents seems pretty confident a flat in Sheffield is usually a quick sell atm (famous last words).

TomTom has suggested sellers won't accept offers unless you have one in place yourself (although they're not moving into anywhere, so no chain at that end)?

tomtom

• forum hero
#38 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 24, 2015, 06:16:48 pm
Sorry - maybe I've been misunderstood. you can make any kind of offer and it be accepted.. But you'll need to stump up the cash when you buy it :)

Go to the estate agent and make an offer. See if they accept it. Agent will ask about your circs.. You can say your flat has just gone on the market etc...

Unless your earnings are enough to cover two mortgages! In which case you can do things at your leisure!

Paul B

• forum hero
#39 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 24, 2015, 06:24:26 pm
Unless your earnings are enough to cover two mortgages! In which case you can do things at your leisure!

They actually are (if interest rates don't suddenly go sky high). However, we'd end up paying an exit fee on the flat mortgage which just seems like p*ssing away cash (even if the company do kinda cover it as an expense).

tomtom

• forum hero
#40 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 24, 2015, 06:41:25 pm
That's a good situation to be in. Cash buyer with no chain I believe is the term. :)

You may be able to get your existing mortgage moved over to the new property if you want to keep it..?

tomtom

• forum hero
#41 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 24, 2015, 06:42:21 pm

They actually are (if interest rates don't suddenly go sky high). However, we'd end up paying an exit fee on the flat mortgage which just seems like p*ssing away cash (even if the company do kinda cover it as an expense).

Ah - it's more like whether the bank will give you two mortgages!! More than whether you can pay both!!

Paul B

• forum hero
#42 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 24, 2015, 06:44:06 pm
There's two of us and this one is all in her name ;)

andy_e

• forum hero
#43 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 24, 2015, 06:46:38 pm
Crawshawbooth is a quiet and unassuming place. Nice valley location with some good countryside around. It's probably quite a local village for local people, but I've only been through a few times. Nice reservoir for walks and picnics not far away. Rawtenstall has some good pubs too and isn't far.

webbo

• forum hero
#44 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 24, 2015, 07:18:23 pm
We have recently sold a house and bought a new house. When we were on the market we asked the estate agent whether folk wanting a viewing had sold their property or were a cash buyer. If neither we declined the viewing, you don't want send hours cleaning and tidying. Only to find the viewer still needs to sell their house or hasn't yet even put it on the market.

Paul B

• forum hero
#45 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 27, 2015, 10:27:12 am
Crawshawbooth is a quiet and unassuming place. Nice valley location with some good countryside around. It's probably quite a local village for local people, but I've only been through a few times. Nice reservoir for walks and picnics not far away. Rawtenstall has some good pubs too and isn't far.

We're seriously entertaining somewhere in Rossendale. Commute times looked like 27mins without traffic and 33 with this morning at rush hour. Does that seem reasonable Andy?

Thanks for your help

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#46 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 27, 2015, 10:37:48 am
Paul if you have the cash to fund the second mortgage before selling then why sell? You'd have no bother renting the flat out and with rents the way they are it'd surely pay for itself. Win win.

andy_e

• forum hero
#47 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 27, 2015, 10:44:45 am
My only commuting experience is getting the bus from Ramsbottom to Bolton, which usually involved some queueing but not a massive amount. Looking at the route you're taking, you'd probably be avoiding any Blackburn rush-hour traffic so I can't imagine the commute would be too much longer than a drive without traffic unless something goes tits-up!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#48 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 27, 2015, 11:17:12 am
Paul if you have the cash to fund the second mortgage before selling then why sell? You'd have no bother renting the flat out and with rents the way they are it'd surely pay for itself. Win win.

That's what I was trying to suggest in 140 chars on Twitter Paul - rents are only going to go up, especially in city centres IMO. Worst that happens is you sit on it for a few years and see what happens.

Paul B

• forum hero
#49 Re: O'er the hill: Lancashire Life
January 27, 2015, 11:52:34 am
In effect many reasons but in shot-form; management fees and the fact that if we do so the property will soon need work (kitchen and bathroom I'd imagine having seen other rental properties in the building).

That, and although amassing property is a good long term solution and makes financial sense I don't believe that city-centre flats are best for that and TBH I'd rather be able to travel more etc.

Things for both of us will be very busy so the hassle isn't worth the return (and appointing someone to deal with it makes it even less financially appealling).

Thanks though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal