UKBouldering.com

Dave Pegg. Some very sad news. (Read 42894 times)

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 01:14:12 pm
 Hi everyone.

I have some very sad news about Dave Pegg. I received a call, late last night from his wife Fiona, who told me that Dave has killed himself.

I'm sure, as for me, this will come as a terrible shock for everyone. I say everyone, because everyone who knew Dave would have wanted to reach out warmly to him. A truly lovely guy, an inspiration, and someone who has contributed so much.

I know Dave was finding it hard moving through some transitions in his life, and in many ways seemed to be finding it hard to find a next chapter in his life that would be as enriching as his last.

I came to love Dave as a person, far more than a climber, and I'd like that love to be shared with others who feel the same. Please appreciate the heartache Fiona will be facing, his mother - who I will try to contact today - and all those close to him.

When I last spoke to Dave yesterday, he seemed in great spirits, and said "well I'm going climbing actually, with some friends. Well I'm not sure I'll climb, but it'll be nice to hang at the crag". That sounded like a good thing. We'd arranged to speak later, which is when I took the call from Fiona.

Such a terrible loss.
Miss you Dave. Love you.

X
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 05:27:15 am by habrich, Reason: reformatted for the front page »

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 01:21:46 pm
Thanks for posting that Dave.

Dave was a really lovely, genuine guy and I remember many, many good times with him when he lived in Sheffield.

I just don't know what to say...so fucking sad.

RIP mate.

gme

• forum hero
#2 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 01:36:56 pm
I am totally gutted. RIP Dave. You truly were one of the good ones.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 01:42:56 pm
Shit, that's terrible. Such a great guy, I can't believe it.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#4 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 01:58:07 pm
I never knew Dave but only ever heard lovely things about him.

Incredibly sad news and sending deepest condolences to all of his family at this time.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#5 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 02:02:24 pm
Tragic. Not seen him since the 90's but remember his impish smile.

Condolences to friends and family

andy popp

• forum hero
#6 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 02:31:28 pm
This is such awful, sad news. I hadn't seen Dave in a very long time but have good memories of his company, on and off the crags. My heart goes out to those much closer to him than me, to his poor wife especially.

More than anything though,  my heart goes out to Dave.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:41:31 pm by andy popp »

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 02:32:41 pm
I never knew Dave either but his was one of those names I remember growing up with and hearing great things about. Really sad news and condolences to his family. Rest in peace.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#8 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 02:34:26 pm
Fuck, was just reading the Earl section of the new Yorkshire Gritstone guide, about Mind Bomb and what a visionary climb it was, only half an hour ago. RIP Dave.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#9 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 03:20:24 pm
Met him the other year when he was over visiting. Lovely guy. Sad news.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#10 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 03:43:47 pm
Really sad.  When I was first starting climbing I remember his new routes reported in the mags, seemingly every month.  Stuff like Gigantic, MaDMAn, Three Blind Mice & the frightening story of the Posessed FA left quite an impression.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#11 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 03:51:05 pm
RIP Dave.  Very fond memories of climbing and having lots of fun times with you in Sheffield.  What a terrible loss.

nik at work

• forum hero
#12 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 03:55:52 pm
I never met Dave but his reputation and routes speak volumes of a man of great character.  My thoughts are with his friends and family. Sad times.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#13 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 04:50:19 pm
A tragedy and a shame. Thoughts go to his wife and family

RobinB

• addict
#14 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 05:21:29 pm
That's terrible news - I haven't seen Dave for quite a while but still have fond memories of times spent climbing and hanging out with him in the late 80's and early 90's before he moved to the US. He was a genuinely lovely guy. Condolences to his family

mikenty

#15 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 06:22:16 pm
What a shame to read this news.
I met him once at a house party in Newcastle in the early 90s and was more than a little star struck after seeing his pic in the magazines and reading about his ascents. Seemed a really genuine bloke and happy chatting about punter level climbing to a total punter.
Mind you, he couldn't get away from me very easily as he had his leg in plaster at the time.

griffer

• regular
#16 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 06:54:05 pm
That was a great party, he enjoyed it so much that he wrote about it in High magazine, we became good friends after that.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#17 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 07:35:07 pm
I don't think I ever met Dave (although with my famously inadequate memory for names & face he could have been around for tea last week) but I remember having a conversation when bouldering in Colorado in 1998?? with some locals, who asked if I knew Dave: I said I didn't but they were still effusive in their praise for him as a climber and what a thoroughly decent bloke he was.

Thie above will be scant consolation to those you left behind: but Dave, but on this day, of all days, as we remember millions who we did not know we should hope that those that did know you remember you well.

Although it is painful for those hurt, the earth of Colorado will be a little richer for your dust.

RIP.

Mel

#18 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 08:28:41 pm
Deep sadness and a great loss  . . My cousin was and still is very special man . . . Will be very much missed by many especially his family . . X x rest in peace dave x x x
My tears shall never dry for you  x x x.   Your words and work shall live on and will never be forgotten . . . Such a sad sad loss and reading others words that have been written and how much inspiration my cousin has been makes me so proud to have you in my life x x x
Goodbye and may your soul rest in peace x x x

Teaboy

• forum hero
#19 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 08:45:46 pm
Aw fuck.

I climbed with Dave when he came to Lancaster to do an MSc and he brought some stardust to my punter level climbing world. It was a pretty prolific time for him new route wise but it says much about him that he always treated me as an equal when we went out climbing. I'm gutted for his wife and others close to him, it's scant consolation that he's left behind a fine legacy of routes and writing. RIP

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#20 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 08:56:56 pm
I met Dave when I moved on to bubbas floor at 768 eccy road back in 86.  Many years of adventure, bad behaviour (boux shell suit escapade) and partying. The honda c50, the skoda, getting stuck on goliath,getting hit by a wave in huntsman.....so many memories
Will be missed by all.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#21 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 09:40:58 pm
Terrible terrible news.

shurt

• forum abuser
  • nincompoop
#22 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 10:29:09 pm
Really sad news. His Uk era was a bit before my time so never met Dave or any of that Sheffield crowd. I first heard of Dave via the Yorkshire Grit guide during a visit to Rhylstone about 15 years ago. I looked up at Heartbeat City in complete awe and just thought 'who the fuck climbed that' - utterly outrageous and totally serious. As are so many of his other routes. 

Condolences to all his family, friends and loved ones.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#23 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 09, 2014, 11:18:38 pm
I met Dave when I moved on to bubbas floor at 768 eccy road back in 86.  Many years of adventure, bad behaviour (boux shell suit escapade) and partying. The honda c50, the skoda, getting stuck on goliath,getting hit by a wave in huntsman.....so many memories
Will be missed by all.
A life should be celebrated when it's been a great one. I'm struggling to get my head round this but if anyone can post Dave's article from OTE about the first ever comp at The Foundry that'd be a start. "Fat Cat, Madras, Broadfield.... etc".

I remember a great evening with him on Christmas Day in about 92 when he came round to mine looking for a partner in crime. We did a load of speed and went for a pint except the Broadfield was closed so we wandered the streets talking shit before finding either the Byron or Union open, can't remember which. I just remember that it was fun because he was a fucking diamond and I was a kid with an attitude and he had no side to him.

Taught me a lot without meaning to. A genuinely sound bloke.

RIP Pego.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#24 Re: Dave Pegg. Some very sad news.
November 10, 2014, 12:29:15 am
Jas, that's a beautiful post.

I'm with you, a complete jewel.

There will be so many great stories, all told with the sincerest affection for a wonderful person.

Love you Dave XX

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal