UKBouldering.com

Autumnal Trossachs venues (Read 1976 times)

bolehillbilly

• stalker
Autumnal Trossachs venues
October 24, 2014, 09:27:39 pm
Does anyone have any views on venues in the Trossachs at this time of year?  I've been to Loch Katrine blocks before and also had a quick hit at St Brides.

I'm on injury recovery so no specific goals, just somewhere different for a short session or two. 
Any thoughts on the Achray blocks, Stonachlacher, Fontforth or Wolfcrag would be appreciated.

Are the Loch Lomond East venues worth the walk at this time of year?  Stone Country suggests some of the shore boulders might be submerged at times.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: Autumnal Trossachs venues
October 27, 2014, 09:05:13 am
The Loch Katrine Boulders and the Ben Ledi boulders need a few dry days at this time of the year, as they retain a bit of greeneness and can get slippery at the slightest bit of moisture. I've spent a day at both at this time of the year, and even though it was dry and breezy they never really dried out properly all day due to rain from a day or so before.

Stronachlachar gets day round sunshine so mught be a good option, but there's not loads there, and it's quite a long drive. Fontforth looks a bit shit, but I could be corrected on that. Wolfcrag never really feels like a "destination" venue, more suited as a backup if everywhere else is wet, or if passing. There are some OK fingery problesm though, and it's not bad for a chipped quarry.

punkpunk

• player
#2 Re: Autumnal Trossachs venues
October 27, 2014, 09:24:06 am
Glen Lednock?....most things dry fast as there is normally a breeze and not much that is green.  I went to Fontforth, it might be OK if it wasn't baw high to a dwarf.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Re: Autumnal Trossachs venues
October 28, 2014, 12:11:37 pm
Achray block has very little bouldering apart from a couple of warm-ups, a couple of eliminates, and the second best F7a/+ in the Central Belt, it's sunny but in the trees so needs a good breeze.

Loch Katrine boulders are open and clean-topped so will dry pretty quick.

Ben Ledi the same but it's fucking miles to walk.

Stronlachar does get the sun but the rock is dirtier and the main boulder takes some seepage, you definitely need a dry spell. If so, they are worth it.

Wolfcrag is typical base-of-the-crag-eliminates-and-traversing bollox, seems good for a work-out but I'd rather go to Ratho for training.

Glen Lednock is quite a trek these days and some of the harder problems have gash lines but it's good for an easy circuit and the location is nice once you've trekked up the previously driveable road.

Loch Lomond East is variable, it does have a few mighty lines, again it needs a decent breeze though, and is quite a trek.

What grades are you after??

bolehillbilly

• stalker
#4 Re: Autumnal Trossachs venues
October 28, 2014, 08:48:47 pm
Thanks for all the information, much appreciated. 
Looking at the weather the options are likely pretty limited. 
A  visit to Achray Blocs might be the best option tied in with a Katrine family ride, even if to just check out the arete for a future visit.
It's always been a favourite spot for bike holidays with the kids so the beta will be useful again.
Cheers everyone.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal