UKBouldering.com

Safe operating wind speed for small aircraft? (Read 2413 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
Safe operating wind speed for small aircraft?
October 20, 2014, 07:13:02 pm
Given the breadth of knowledge on UKB (and google seems to have lots of random stuff) what's generally the safe wind speed mph for a small aircraft say 20 seats? I don't mind my flight getting cancelled tomorrow morning but getting stuck in Norwich Thursday would be a pain.

tomtom

• forum hero
There is a direct train from Manc to Norwich...

Sloper

• forum hero
 :badidea:Yes if you have 5/6 hours to spare (vs <2 hours including travel to the air port & check in) to get to my meeting tomorrow at 10:00 I would ahve to have left the house at 16.30 today and spent another night in a hotel.

Traveling by train in essence means 3 days for a 1 day meeting and costs more than flying (if you don't factor in the CO2 and I'm not sure what the differential is).

tomtom

• forum hero
Yes but you can do work and get pissed on the train :)

MrsTT's folks reside in N Norfolk so I'm sadly familiar with the drive too..

Sloper

• forum hero
Did you know there's a train from Hull to Manchester?

Seriously though, would you spend c. 3 days away from the office & two nights away from home for a 1 day meeting (£600 expenses) or no nights away from home (under £300 expenses) with the wife not having to run around to drop off & pick up & etc?

tomtom

• forum hero

Did you know there's a train from Hull to Manchester?

Seriously though, would you spend c. 3 days away from the office & two nights away from home for a 1 day meeting (£600 expenses) or no nights away from home (under £300 expenses) with the wife not having to run around to drop off & pick up & etc?

Indeed - and door to door it's over an hour faster to drive... (Plus I can fit my bouldering stuff into the car).

Fair enough with a 4:30 journey.. I've flown to Soton to do a viva before... Though that time was 2 hours late (circling - couldn't land) due to fog.. Smaller airports - no ALS.

tomtom

• forum hero
Manchester - Leeds - Hull should be so fast in the train... But the masterful organisation and funding of our rail network (etc..)

petejh

• forum hero
Don't know, but I once crashed a cessna 152 at Ormond Beach airport because I couldn't land it in a 20 knot crosswind. But I was learning to fly (crash course..).

Just saying..

a dense loner

• forum hero
Learning to fly, strangely enough tom pettys birthday today

petejh

• forum hero
Another omen to add to the great puzzle of the calling of the Grit.

granticus

• forum abuser
flight getting cancelled tomorrow morning but getting stuck in Norwich Thursday would be a pain
two nights away from home for a 1 day meeting (£600 expenses)
How you suffer so Sloper.    :ras:

tomtom

• forum hero
😊

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
Can't answer your question but you should be ok. The worse should blow through tonight. Should be easing by tomorrow and Thursday should be around 10mph.

Lots of impressive charts on XC weather...

Today

Tomorrow

Thursday

Sloper

• forum hero
Fuck me, properly 3dimensional coming into Norwich, it sounds like the failure to get on the flight home tomorrow was a lucky break.

Granticus, the point is I'd rather not stay away from home, it gets rather tedious having meals with clients you'd rather not spend time with & etc, flying is cheaper, faster and more convenient than any other option

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal