UKBouldering.com

Moon Warrior (Read 2701 times)

mark

• forum abuser
Moon Warrior
October 01, 2014, 08:33:35 pm
It's time for a new pad as my old Metolius gives similar protection to a blanket draped over the ground. A Moon Warrior is calling to me. Can anyone comment on how well the flap covering the straps works? It seems an excellent solution to keeping the clean side up, but I wonder how long it will take for the velcro to lose its stickiness. Clever design or just a gimmick? Any other comments on the pad?

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Moon Warrior
October 01, 2014, 09:36:54 pm
My mate has one and the Velcro system seems like a really good idea... But all it really does is stop you tripping over the straps when walking on them....  There are lots of pads that have the 'floor side' folded into the middle of the taco... It's good for not getting a mucky back....

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#2 Re: Moon Warrior
October 01, 2014, 09:59:25 pm
I've had one for 5+ years - foam still firm and the flap velcro still does its job (I've regretted a few occasions when I've been too lazy to use it - being flipped downhill after a  tangling my feet falling).  I have a company car so being able to keep the upholstery (relatively) free from Almscliff cowpats has been handy.

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Moon Warrior
October 01, 2014, 10:24:46 pm
My wild country pad has the same inside out design and have been known to fall over the straps.... Would still class the Velcro cover as a gimmick

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#4 Re: Moon Warrior
October 01, 2014, 10:34:46 pm
A gimmick that works though. Maybe not a vital feature compared to decent foam and area coverage.  So, not worth paying a massive premium for.  But, all other things being equal, the flap is a positive.  It's not like you have to use it. Would recommend it though - personally, being flipped face-first half-way back to Otley after an unexpected "dismount" at Caley is not my idea of fun!

dave

#5 Re: Moon Warrior
October 01, 2014, 11:50:10 pm
The large pods have the straps on the outside, they are east to remove but I never remove them and don't remember having any issues tripping over em. I wouldn't let a bit of velcro be the deciding point on a mat purchase.

mark

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Moon Warrior
October 02, 2014, 05:16:07 pm
Thanks for the replies. I hate having loose straps on top of a pad so the velcro cover is an attractive feature to me. A removeable strap is another way to solve the problem but is more of a faff than pushing a velcro-secured flap in place. As the price of a Moon Warrior is pretty much the same as the relevant competition, Mr Moon wins.

Dolly

• forum hero
#7 Re: Moon Warrior
October 02, 2014, 06:50:13 pm
TFFT. No longer have to bring an extra pad and make excuses not to jump onto your pad/blanket  :)

mark

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Moon Warrior
October 02, 2014, 07:16:37 pm
Pfft, a thin pad strengthens your ankles. My old pad would suffice for years to come if my climbing partners didn't spot with so little enthusiasm that it's as if I have ebola.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal