UKBouldering.com

Shoulder experts advice needed! (Read 1481 times)

cha1n

• forum hero
Shoulder experts advice needed!
October 01, 2014, 09:57:22 am
To all the shoulder experts on here, I was messing around on the scaffold bar at the works last night once my fingers were tired and am wondering:

- Why can I hang 1-armed (but arm must be locked at some sort of bend, even if just off straight) in a leg raise position for quite some time (15-20 seconds) when I am parallel to the bar but when I'm perpendicular to the bar I can barely do 5 seconds with two hands?

I'm guessing there's some massive shoulder instability going on there and I'd like to address it. Can anyone begin to explain why this may be?

Thanks!

cha1n

• forum hero
#1 Re: Shoulder experts advice needed!
October 02, 2014, 08:39:05 am
Nobody has advice for my creaky shoulders?

Stubbs

#2 Re: Shoulder experts advice needed!
October 02, 2014, 08:42:48 am
Parallel position engages pec (and prob other muscle groups) in a stronger orientation, it's easier to do anything one armed in that orientation.

You'd probably tired your shoulders out during your session, try the comparison when you are fresh to check.

cha1n

• forum hero
#3 Re: Shoulder experts advice needed!
October 02, 2014, 09:01:12 am
Nice one Stubbs. It was the end of a pretty hard session, so your theory could indeed be correct!

So should one be aiming to one arm in a more front on position then or generally working both positions? I'm naturally fairly strong in the parallel position but struggle to even deadhang in a front-on position and that's on a massive bar!

I do have a collection of shoulder strengthening exercises that I'm going to start this week.

rodma

• forum hero
#4 Re: Shoulder experts advice needed!
October 02, 2014, 10:42:14 am
How many problems involve being so side on to the rock that half of your torso is within the rock?

You need to train at least partially square on

cha1n

• forum hero
#5 Re: Shoulder experts advice needed!
October 02, 2014, 12:35:44 pm
That is a valid point Rodma.

Funny that most videos I've seen of people training 1-armers have been parallel. Front-on 1-armers would be nails!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal