UKBouldering.com

Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions (Read 6016 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 20, 2014, 09:41:59 pm
Right folks,

I currently have a Canon 40D and a couple of lenses. I barely ever use it, but when I do I love it. It's just too big and cumbersome for pretty much everything.

I also have a Panasonic LX3 which I love. It comes on all climbs and when I'm skiing or biking but it never really inspires me to go out to take photos. It's a strange paradox - because I always take it, I get great photos but when I go out to take photos, I'm not so impressed.

I also want to start filming a bit more. Not to make films for general consumption, but more for memories, family and friends.

So, I'm on the verge of selling the 40D and getting something that does good video, good photos, decent handling (dials for functions, not menus) and still enough of a "camera" to keep me inspired. I'm thinking 4/3s is a good idea because of the interchangeability.

The GX7 seems to fit the bill. Anyone used one?  Does anyone else use 4/3s in the mountains? I reckon most of the time I'll probably just take the LX3 but maybe with the 20mm pancake it would be almost as packable.

dave

#1 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 20, 2014, 10:27:30 pm
I was close to getting a GX7 but opted for an OMD instead. Used its predecessor the Gf1 with the 20mm in the mountains, it's a nice size, no problems there. Should be a decent camera. Wasn't as impressed with the eve on the gx7 as much as I was with omd.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#2 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 20, 2014, 10:42:56 pm
Which OM-D have you got? EM-10 or EM-1.

dave

#3 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 21, 2014, 08:54:52 pm
EM5, Cofe and I have one. I gather Obiwan has just come by an EM10 too.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#4 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 22, 2014, 09:13:08 am
Nice one, I'll see if I can have a play with one - the EVF was one thing that I didn't think was amazing on the GX7.

cofe

• forum hero
#5 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 22, 2014, 11:23:08 am
My OMD is great. I had a Sony NEX5 before that, but found I couldn't do without a viewfinder. You quickly adjust to the EVF's by the way, though they feel weird at first/in the shop. I'd go and handle a few of these cameras too.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#6 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 24, 2014, 10:40:35 am
The olympus OM-5 looks tempting also. How's the kit lens?

Now, a dilemma - I'm downsizing from a Canon 40D with a hefty lens. There's not a huge difference between the GX7 and Oly size wide, but the viewfinder bump on the Oly does protrude a little.

How portable have you found them? I really don't want to end up not taking it out because of size, as that would negate the whole point in getting it.

dave

#7 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 24, 2014, 10:56:02 am
Bump is harder to accommodate in bags, or at least my bags, than my old rectangular gf1. However I like the top central finder location better for general shooting, especially better handling when shooting verticals (or tripod mounted verticals with an L bracket) than the rangefinder style top left gx7 finder.

cofe

• forum hero
#8 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 24, 2014, 11:46:03 am
I thought the bump would annoy me, but it doesn't. I think any inconvenience is offset by having the EVF, and, being central, it feels (as Dave says) to be in a better/the right place.

I only have the 12-50 kit lens, no primes (yet). I specifically wanted this lens as it gives me 35mm effective 24-100mm in a single unit (mainly for MTB and days out). I can live with it being bigger, slower at long end etc etc etc. I've used a 20mm 1.7 on it a fair bit, and this is much more portable. I've just never got round to buying one, mainly as I'd prefer the Oly 25mm 1.8.

dave

#9 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 24, 2014, 12:51:00 pm
I like the look of the 25/1.8 but it would be noticeably longer than my 20/1.7 which is actually about 18.5mm rather than the labelled 20. So I'm entertaining the olympus 17/1.8 instead. Has dof scale etc.

Either way, the 45/1.8 is a totally stellar lens for fuck all cheddar bills.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#10 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 24, 2014, 01:17:45 pm
Do you guys also have a pocketable compact (Equivalent of my LX3, or smaller) or is this your only weapon?

I'm wondering if, maybe further down the line (when the LX3 dies) I could end up with a much smaller 4/3s and then just share lenses between them.

cofe

• forum hero
#11 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 24, 2014, 02:14:16 pm
The OMD isn't compact, it's just smallish. I have a phone, and a 7D, either side in scale/performance terms.

dave

#12 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 24, 2014, 04:50:03 pm

Do you guys also have a pocketable compact (Equivalent of my LX3, or smaller) or is this your only weapon?

I'm wondering if, maybe further down the line (when the LX3 dies) I could end up with a much smaller 4/3s and then just share lenses between them.

OMD is pocket sized compared to my other shit. I use shortie's S95 if I need to. But these days the OMD plus a prime is small enough (and not sticky-outy enough) to go most places without a problem.

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#13 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
September 28, 2014, 03:10:25 pm
I finally managed to track down both the EM-5 and the GX7 so I could have a play side by side.

And.

I think the Oly has it. Just felt better in the hand - I prefer the viewfinder in the middle. Not much in it spec wise, so I'm happy enough to go on look and feel.

Cheers for the heads up!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#14 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
December 14, 2014, 11:37:01 am
Well guys, thanks for the advice about the EM-5. Absolutely love it.

Got it with the kit lens which seems great for video and ... ok for photos. Picked up a 20mm 1.7 for £150 new in China and I'm blown away. So sharp, so contrasty, so compact. I think most of the time I'll just have that lens on.

Also picked up a Pentax PK /  M43 adaptor so I can raid my mum's old lens collection. I bought her a replacement 75-150 f4 when I broke another lens of hers so that should be good for wildlife (as long as I can focus fast enough haha).

I've been doing a fair bit of video too and I'm blown away by the image stabilisation. Incredible really!

Fultonius

• forum hero
    • Photos
#15 Re: Panasonic GX7 4/3s - opinions
December 25, 2014, 10:41:31 pm
A few snaps from our recent travels.

Flickr

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal