UKBouldering.com

Margalef knowledge please. (Read 2715 times)

nik at work

• forum hero
Margalef knowledge please.
September 17, 2014, 09:31:06 pm
I've done a search of the site and found a few posts from a few years ago but just after a bit of up-to-the minute information if anythings changed...
I'm heading there for a week at the end of October, will have a car and am planning on camp/dossing/dirtbag style approach. I went there on a couple of days from Siurana last year but apart from finding a small very randomly stocked local shop I did no research into existing in the immediate vecinity of Margalef. Any top tips?
Keen on knowledge on places to get a decent coffee and cake in the morning and cheap pizza/chips in the evening if such facilities exist?
I get the impression that the refuge is pretty much the hub of life there??
Anything else, feel free to share any information.
Thank you kindly.

kelvin

• forum hero
#1 Re: Margalef knowledge please.
September 17, 2014, 09:42:30 pm
Message AJM, he's been there on his trip this year and is always on about cake, coffee and pizza on his blog.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Margalef knowledge please.
September 17, 2014, 10:05:13 pm
You said you don't drink coffee!

nic mullin

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Margalef knowledge please.
September 17, 2014, 10:51:42 pm
When I went (Feb 2013) the refuge was most frequented place in Margalef itself. Good coffee, juice and bread/cheese/ham/fruit breakfast. Evening meals looked good too, but we didn't get round to eating there. They also do bottled beer and wine and have a nice, big eating/hanging out area. The locally produced topo is available here - a local activist runs the refuge. Older web info I looked at before we went had the old address for the refuge - the current one is right on the main road, the other side (of the road and the river) to El tres Pins hotel. The coffee isn't bad at El tres pins, and they do fried things in white bread with chips. The best place to eat out is at Ca Calbert, up the hill in the village. Really good home cooked food, run by two very friendly spanish ladies, very reasonably priced. Small and restaurant-y, rather than pub-that-you-eat-in, but not posh. They also do accomodation. Couple of bars in the village, pretty 'local', but friendly and good, cold beer. There's a local shop too, not extensively stocked but you should find fruit, veg, canned fish, beer and factory cake. All of the above are within about 200 yards of eachother, in various back streets up the hill from the refuge.   

Most people doss up near the dam, but various roadside pull offs were full of vans too.

Closest town with a super(ish) market is Cornudella del Montsant, near the turn off to Siurana, so 45 minutes or so of windy road away from Margalef. There's a good bakery that does nice coffee, and a winery (both on the main road). It's very close to the Montsant crags, (quiet, very picturesque and lots of mid-grade wall climbs - in the Tarragona climbs guide). Several reasturants and bars, (we didn't go to any , but they looked ok).   

Hope that's of some help.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#4 Re: Margalef knowledge please.
September 17, 2014, 11:22:08 pm
I went there on a couple of days from Siurana last year but apart from finding a small very randomly stocked local shop

I still remember the provisions you obtained from there.  I hope for the sake of your health that the good folk of UKB come up trumps - man cannot live on odd tasting biscuits alone!

Has the mono training been pursuant to a rematch with EH Sukara? Good luck! I went back to Siurana last Feb - had a great time but stuck to quick ticks in the valley / village - never got to return to Margalef... a shame as I loved the routes there.

nik at work

• forum hero
#5 Re: Margalef knowledge please.
September 18, 2014, 07:10:50 am
EVERYBODY drinks coffee on tour...

nik at work

• forum hero
#6 Re: Margalef knowledge please.
September 18, 2014, 07:12:58 am
Thanks nic that's really helpful. Cheers

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#7 Re: Margalef knowledge please.
September 18, 2014, 07:59:26 am
EVERYBODY drinks coffee on tour...
I don't .. But moose makes up for my share and then some

nic mullin

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Margalef knowledge please.
September 18, 2014, 12:28:53 pm
no worries - have a good trip.

I spelt Ca Calbet wrong in my first post. This is the place (the nic m review is me)

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187503-d2471540-Reviews-Casa_rural_Ca_Calbet-Tarragona_Costa_Dorada_Province_of_Tarragona_Catalonia.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal