UKBouldering.com

Hybrid Bike advice (Read 3738 times)

Fadanoid

• addict
Hybrid Bike advice
August 20, 2014, 03:49:12 pm
Good afternoon Guys & Gals.

Despite using this site for a while I've never really noticed that so many of you seem to be avid bike users/geeks. Therefore I was after some advice.

I currently Cycle to my office around 2-3 days a week on average, and have several routes that I take, they vary from purpose built cycle paths, footpaths across field, residential roads & Woods. I am currently using a really shite 10 year old mountain bike (that is slightly better than a Raleigh lizard!) and now I'm looking to upgrade, and I think I need a hybrid as I prefer the roads and light trails routes available.

Do any of you guys have hybrids or can give any advice on what to look for avoid in one?

My local bike shop has recommended this: http://www.bergamont.de/en/bikes/cross/helix-84/
I have also seen this one: http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/town/dual_sport/ds_series/8_6_ds/#

Any other recommendations greatly appreciated. Budget is £700-1200

Schnell

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Hybrid Bike advice
August 20, 2014, 04:59:51 pm
I'd stay away from low end hydraulic brakes as in both those examples. For roads and light trails you'd be perfectly fine with cable brakes. Also the suspension forks are also a bit crap in both cases. It's all a bit discount mtb-esque. I'd go for a standard hybrid in the 500ish range or a cyclo-cross bike if you want something a bit nicer and don't mind the drop bars. Or a decent hard-tail or fully-rigid mountain bike with slick tyres.

Fadanoid

• addict
#2 Re: Hybrid Bike advice
August 21, 2014, 08:17:32 am
I'd stay away from low end hydraulic brakes as in both those examples. It's all a bit discount mtb-esque.

See, this is the sort of thing I wouldn't know to look for. My gut was telling me to get second opinions about both bikes, hence the post here. I feel like

I'd go for a standard hybrid in the 500ish range or a cyclo-cross bike if you want something a bit nicer and don't mind the drop bars.
Any recommendations? I've looked at the ones in halfords, there are some boardman & carrera hybrids in this price rance, also the b'twin ones from decathalon.

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Hybrid Bike advice
August 21, 2014, 09:13:19 am
Most people who buy Hybreds in my experience regret it as they are a neither one thing or the other. Have you considered a Cyclo cross bike.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#4 Re: Hybrid Bike advice
August 21, 2014, 09:29:17 am
I have a cyclocross bike with flat handle bars and it is basically a hybrid style but with more umph.

Evil

• addict
#5 Re: Hybrid Bike advice
August 21, 2014, 10:00:58 am
Hybrids are often very heavy (though maybe not quite as much as a cheap/old mtb...), so if you want a good upgrade it might be more worth considering the cyclocross or a quality lightweight hardtail depending on how much offroading you want to continue with, as someone else has suggested.

Schnell

• menacing presence
#6 Re: Hybrid Bike advice
August 21, 2014, 10:51:12 am
Specialized do a very popular cx bike, Tricross I think, but it's all a bit generic/boring... I've always liked the planet x cx bikes, maybe this: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXKAFF2TIA/planet-x-kaffenback-2-shimano-tiagra-road-bike

If you are going from mtb to cyclocross I'd recommend you make sure you're happy with the drop bars and the more aggressive riding position.

Fadanoid

• addict
#7 Re: Hybrid Bike advice
August 21, 2014, 11:32:22 am
I feel a bit embarrassed to have just had to google "cyclo cross" but there you go. At least it gives you an idea of my knowledge in the world of cycling.

Apart from the carrying the bike on my shoulder bit, a cyclo-cross bike sounds exactly the sort of thing I need. Its seems like a true hybrid in that sense.

Schnell, thanks for the suggestion. I have one query regarding the gear set on that bike(probably wrong term) but will that 10 speed be enough to get up steep hills or will I need robocop legs?

Christ, I really sound like a 70 year old man in PC world buying his first laptop!!!  :-[

webbo

• forum hero
#8 Re: Hybrid Bike advice
August 21, 2014, 12:26:13 pm
The planet x has a compact chainset 50 x 34 which with an 12/ 28 cassette you shoud be able to get up most hills with that.

Fadanoid

• addict
#9 Re: Hybrid Bike advice
August 21, 2014, 01:26:06 pm
Cool. I think I've been directed down a much better path here guys.

Thanks for all the advice, I bow to your font of collective cycle wisdom.  :bow:

Now, I'm off to amazon to order some pee wee herman style handlebar tassles  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal