UKBouldering.com

"Large" Climbing Shoes? (Read 3841 times)

Anth Gaskell

"Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 19, 2014, 04:47:54 pm
Hi all,

I'm a pre-newbie to this whole bouldering thing and after a bit of help. By pre-newbie, I mean I didn't even get to the wall for the induction at my local climbing centre before I hit a problem - I can't find any climbing shoes to fit. My normal shoes (Etnies skate shoes) are size 14 (UK - 49 EUR) and my feet are rather wide too. I was told at the climbing centre that climbers normally work on being a size to a size-and-a-half bigger for their climbing shoes which puts me at a distinct disadvantage when everywhere around here (north east England) only go up to a "climbing size" 14.

Can anyone help track down some larger (UK 15+, EUR 50+) shoes that might fit? I have no idea where the idea to start bouldering came from but it's bugging me now!

Cheers,

Anth.

PS - Yes, I've heard all of the lines about large feet so don't even go there!  ;)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 19, 2014, 04:52:41 pm
I was told at the climbing centre that climbers normally work on being a size to a size-and-a-half bigger for their climbing shoes

Someones told you it the wrong way round there - is very common to take rock boots in 1-2 UK sizes smaller.. try looking for 12's & 13's...

So picking on the first shoe I looked at (no way recommending these)

http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/boreal-joker-p-1626.html

They have 13's in these...

http://www.bananafingers.co.uk/five-ten-anasazi-pink-lace-up-p-2407.html

Pinks go up to 14's.... I think you'll be alright. Go to a decent climbing shop with a wide range and try a few on...

Duma

• forum hero
#2 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 19, 2014, 04:57:41 pm
That sounds a bit odd advice from the climbing centre,  every climber I know sizes down not up from their street shoe size when choosing climbing shoes. This is very much brand dependent (la sportiva shoes are much bigger than five ten shoes with the same size label) I'd get to a shop or wall and see if any of the 13 or 14 fit.

Anth Gaskell

#3 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 19, 2014, 05:14:24 pm
Thanks for the replies already.

I actually tried the 14s they had at the centre and couldn't get my heel in them. Jumped in the car to a local climbing store (unfortunately showing "closing down" signs) and tried the largest they had which were 14s or 15s and could only just get my foot in. My toes were feeling the effects a couple of hours later and I only wore them for a minute (I didn't even get them laced up.)

Funnily enough, tomtom, I'd just found the Jokers through a link on another forum. It unfortunately seems that I'm in a bit of a gap where it comes to climbing stores with mostly the big chains around here so it looks like I'll have to hit-and-hope online.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#4 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 19, 2014, 05:23:08 pm
My five tens are size 8 and my solutions are five and a half Duma! Will have to check my other sportiva sizes which I think are all normal.
Anth don't be persuaded that you have to wear tight shoes, I was and wore them for the first year or so and now my big toes try to go under my others!

Duma

• forum hero
#5 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 19, 2014, 05:34:07 pm
That's what I said dense?

Pitcairn

• player
#6 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 19, 2014, 05:39:59 pm
That's what I said dense?

No Duma you said the opposite.

Very sloppy posting young man  :)

Duma

• forum hero
#7 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 19, 2014, 05:45:00 pm

(la sportiva shoes are much bigger than five ten shoes with the same size label)

Ergo, a "size 8“ sportiva shoe would be much bigger than a "size 8“ five ten.

Which is what dense said.

Scandinavia has clearly addled your brain iain ;)
(oh, and congratulations)

Pitcairn

• player
#8 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 19, 2014, 05:57:16 pm
Damn you Duma for writing it in an easy to misunderstand way!

I also have smaller solutions but Ive stopped wearing them as they made my big toe sore.  I recommend Miura's to the OP as they are a great all round shoe

:)

a dense loner

• forum hero
#9 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 19, 2014, 06:56:25 pm
Ok what Duma means in plain English is la sportiva are smaller sizing  :lol:

Anth Gaskell

#10 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 19, 2014, 08:27:24 pm
Anth don't be persuaded that you have to wear tight shoes, I was and wore them for the first year or so and now my big toes try to go under my others!
I've had enough problems with my feet over the years to not put up with people telling me what my body knows is stupid so don't worry about that bit (it helps that my main hobby at the moment involves kicking people in the head anyway...)

One good thing that has come out of this is that I've found another three centres around here so I'll have a mosy over and see what they have in their stores before spending monies online.

Cheers again folks.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 20, 2014, 11:37:10 am
Are you related to our Alaskan regular poster Sasquatch?

Anth Gaskell

#12 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 20, 2014, 12:46:28 pm
Doubt it, though I've met quite a few people with the language skills of a sasquatch here in the Durham area :)

Anth Gaskell

#13 Re: "Large" Climbing Shoes?
August 20, 2014, 05:31:19 pm
Well I visited another local centre earlier today (one of the ones I found last night) and Climb North East at Ferryhill have some size 50 (EUR) shoes that fit without amputation of toes. I think they were Scarpas but not sure on which particular ones. Induction booked for Friday and I'll probably order the Jokers mentioned above if I enjoy it (I probably will).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal