UKBouldering.com

Where to climb tomorrow? (Read 3459 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Where to climb tomorrow?
August 17, 2014, 07:49:29 pm
We're heading off on a week trip tomorrow in the UK but the weather is looking pretty crap...

The original plan was to go Northumberland, Dumbarton, lakes. County might not be ideal with the recent weather though.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that might have good connies tomorrow/Tuesday? We're leaving from Sheffield.

Cheers!

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Where to climb tomorrow?
August 17, 2014, 07:57:46 pm
High windy grit might be OK... temps have dropped a lot this week..

If you're heading up to t'county Slipstones is an option..? I heard Brimham was OK today...

James Malloch

• forum hero
#2 Re: Where to climb tomorrow?
August 17, 2014, 08:15:26 pm
Cheers tom, I hadn't really thought about Yorkshire. Could be an idea!

I had a good day today at eatswood with the breeze so the grit is climbable. Even the cliff for lots of wind...

Thought about Wales as well but the pass has an iffy forecast. Bloody rain!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#3 Re: Where to climb tomorrow?
August 17, 2014, 08:43:19 pm
Very heavy showers and blowing a gale round my neck of the wood (Ilkley - Skipton).  Would be surprised if anywhere avoided a soaking.  Kilnsey is still holding up well though - minty conditions.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#4 Re: Where to climb tomorrow?
August 18, 2014, 04:53:33 pm
Absolutely fucking hosed it down in S. Manchester last night even Pex Hill is likely to be damp!

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Where to climb tomorrow?
August 18, 2014, 05:08:47 pm
Tor was all good this morning....? ;)

Theres stuff in the Lakes that dries fast (e.g. Carrock) - St Bees often doesnt get as hosesd as much as other parts of the lakes... always the S.Lakes limestone (Woodwell etc..) to look at?

N.Yorkshire moors might be a leftfield idea? Contact Lee at Betaguides and he might show you around a couple of places or suggest some venues?

If you go to Wales - always Ysgo and stuff on the Llyn - again this tends to avoid the worst of the weather (or it blows in and out fast). Brilliant place if you've never been... Looking at Fatnecks twitter feed he's just had a cracking week over there weather wise... and theres always the Cave of Righteous Justiceness...

James Malloch

• forum hero
#6 Re: Where to climb tomorrow?
August 18, 2014, 10:55:27 pm
Cheers for the replies. We ended up at kilnsey (Cheers Luke) and got spanked by everything. Good start to the trip!

Thanks for the info sloper and tom as well! We're not sure about tomorrow yet. Currently crashing at my parents in Cumbria so thinking maybe lakes or trowbarrow tomorrow and then head up to Dumbarton later in the week.

St bees could be good as the forecast is looking okay. Maybe little font depending on what the weather is doing.

Decided against wales for now as it's that bit more driving if we go to dumby, though it's good beta as I'm keen to try out ysgo!

Are you still leeds based tom? I think I may have climbed with you at the cliff (or I could be getting mixed up with another forum member). I'm moving back up in a month so will be spending a lot of time on the grit when it cools a little.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#7 Re: Where to climb tomorrow?
August 18, 2014, 11:20:42 pm
Be keen to get back up to malham as well Luke!

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Where to climb tomorrow?
August 18, 2014, 11:53:47 pm
Not leeds James - I have a split Hull <> Manchester life that sometimes makes Cliff trips easy... I was there loads last year, not so much this...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#9 Re: Where to climb tomorrow?
August 19, 2014, 07:55:39 am
Be keen to get back up to malham as well Luke!

Glad to hear it - just let me know if you fancy a belay - I'm often posting for partners on the facebook page (currently full of late-season Kilnsey-mania.... gotta tick it before it seeps!)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#11 Re: Where to climb tomorrow?
August 19, 2014, 09:36:42 am
very useful

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/#?map=Rainfall&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01&fcTime=1408386600

Very useful indeed! Apart from it confirmed how wet the county is looking  :chair:

I normally use raintoday but this shows longer periods. Going to hit St Bees up today and see what happens from there, eventually ending up at Dumbarton.

Thanks!

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Where to climb tomorrow?
August 19, 2014, 09:47:11 am
very useful

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/map/#?map=Rainfall&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01&fcTime=1408386600

Very useful indeed! Apart from it confirmed how wet the county is looking  :chair:

I normally use raintoday but this shows longer periods. Going to hit St Bees up today and see what happens from there, eventually ending up at Dumbarton.

Thanks!

Trowbarrow (well the boulder) dries super fast - as it has no drainage on top of it... If you're driving past (on the way from St Bees heading north) then check out Carrock.. only a short detour from the main road (sorry if you've been before - grandmother egg sucking etc..) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal