UKBouldering.com

Liverpool University Bouldering Wall (Read 4184 times)

JDobo

• regular
Liverpool University Bouldering Wall
August 11, 2014, 08:01:00 am
Just wondering if anyone has been and what the problems are like. Going to Liverpool University in September and thinking it might be an alternative to the hangar when I am short of time through the week.

Thanks, Jack.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#1 Re: Liverpool University Bouldering Wall
August 11, 2014, 08:29:29 am
I climbed a lot there in younger days. Unless another has been built, it's a series of brick edges on a vertical wall off a balcony above the sports hall. A few pieces of natural stone were inserted in the 80s. If short on time you could traverse the brick edges. Or use a fingerboard.
As you have the Hangar, Awesome Walls and above all Pex Hill, it is largely irrelevant. Other bouldering of quality can be found at Frodsham and Helsby areas. The Breck in Wallasey Village used to be popular. The Anglican Cathedral Walls around the cemetery there have been bouldered on too.

andy popp

• forum hero
#2 Re: Liverpool University Bouldering Wall
August 11, 2014, 08:40:29 am
Hi Jack

A new one was built a couple of years ago - I've not used it but it doesn't look bad, in the modern idiom if quite small. Its not the Hangar, obviously, but as you say would be great for a session if you have a gap between lectures; lectures that you will be attending, of course!!!

What will you be studying? (I'm a member of academic staff at UoL)

JDobo

• regular
#3 Re: Liverpool University Bouldering Wall
August 11, 2014, 09:55:17 am
I don't have a car and the wall is 3 minutes from my accommodation and it opens at 7 in the morning so I was thinking of popping in for quick sessions before my lectures if I know I will not be able to get out in the evening. Not bothered about size as the centre I currently train at only has three bouldering boards!

I am going to be studying Medicine at University. Pity I don't know your face andy as I will probably see you around the Uni, but if you fancy climbing sometime when I am there give me a shout :) Also no need to worry about me missing lectures I can't wait to start!

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Liverpool University Bouldering Wall
August 11, 2014, 09:57:03 am
When you arrive go to the freshers fair and find the climbing club... I'm sure you'll find a whole load of like minded people wanting to get out and crush...

JDobo

• regular
#5 Re: Liverpool University Bouldering Wall
August 11, 2014, 10:02:34 am
Way ahead of you on that one tomtom, already checked it all out! They even have their own activity base in Wales it looks awesome  :2thumbsup:

hstmoore

• player
#6 Re: Liverpool University Bouldering Wall
August 11, 2014, 10:16:33 am
Here's a link the Liverpool Uni Mountaineering Club facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/LUMC20142015/
 It's a great club, everyone is friendly and there are plenty of trips. Make sure you get yourself to Frogsmouth quarry in Runcorn if you like sport. It's cheaper to get the train than entry to the hangar there and takes about the same time as cycling to the the Hangar!

The wall is about £4 a go. It's pretty small and somehow they've managed to make the holds super sharp but otherwise it's good. If you get a gym membership it's free entry, so if you're in to that it might be worth it.

Have fun at uni!

Muesli

• addict
#7 Re: Liverpool University Bouldering Wall
August 11, 2014, 11:32:10 am
I climbed a lot there in younger days. Unless another has been built, it's a series of brick edges on a vertical wall off a balcony above the sports hall. A few pieces of natural stone were inserted in the 80s.

Ahhh happy memories of a distant time :)

JDobo

• regular
#8 Re: Liverpool University Bouldering Wall
August 11, 2014, 01:50:37 pm
Cheers hstmoore. I'm guessing you studied there? I do plan to get outside as much as possible, but the Uni is doing a deal where you can get a pass for the year for around £150 but you have to pay upfront before you start.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#9 Re: Liverpool University Bouldering Wall
August 11, 2014, 02:07:55 pm
This is directly opposite the Architecture department. I have to laugh at the fact that they opened it as soon as I left after four years.  ::)

Also JDobo, decent board scene at The Hangar (and a great 50 degree board it is too).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal