UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 304580 times)

Stabbsy

• junky
#950 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2017, 10:23:46 am
Delayed Burbage Skyline tonight, good turn out as always. Not done it for a couple of years and as it's been moved to August this year I found it pretty tough as lots move undergrowth to negotiate at the start and the drop off Higgar Tor has got lots of felled tree cuttings on it near the bottom now. Plus the deluge of rain today made the course really muddy in parts. Great fun though I was 7 or 8 minutes off my PB, a lifetime but excusable if nothing else as still recovering from major rib damage four weeks ago.
Same for me. I got a bit lost in the felled trees as well - managed to draw blood in a few places, but somehow stayed on my feet all the way round. The start was mayhem as all the tracks were hidden in the bracken, but I made it to the river in the top 10 after one of the Dark Peak runners took a load of people the wrong way down to the Green Drive (the advantages of recce'ing the start as part of my warm-up). Spent the next 2 miles with all the fast guys squeezing past me on really narrow trods then just tried to hang on! Had a battle down the last 200m of the Green Drive with a guy from Porter Valley having swapped places with him all the way round. Great fun and looking forward to doing a few more of the evening races before the summer's gone - anyone doing Barrel Inn?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#951 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2017, 12:08:53 pm
Good work Peak squad! Sounds like a great summer tussle!

Appreciate it's a fair way away for many but it's Arenig Fawr this Sunday. I'm hoping to make it across but 50/50 at the moment. Such a great course and the gully scramble near the start is awesome.

http://yiannistridimas.webs.com/

Brannock

• regular
#952 Re: Fell running
August 02, 2017, 01:32:01 pm
Burbage Skyline was great fun, the bogs, streams and fallen trees were, errr interesting. I really struggled on the slippery bracken covered single tracks and descent off Higgar Tor.  Salt Cellar on Friday, another good peak race.

Monolith

• forum hero
#953 Re: Fell running
August 29, 2017, 11:25:39 am
Decided to give the cross country season a go this coming winter to try to build some speed for next Spring fell races. I can see there are a handful of fixtures at the link below but is there a comprehensive fixture listing online anywhere (principally for NW races)?

http://www.wirralac.co.uk/20172018-road-and-cross-country-fixtures/

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#954 Re: Fell running
August 29, 2017, 01:16:41 pm
They tend to be League based, you've got the L&D Saturday's - here's the 'Sunday League' to add to your list:

29 October - Clarke Gardens Liverpool - hosted by Penny Lane
12 November - Beacon Park Skem - hosted by Skem/Parbold
10 December - Arrowe Park Wirral - hosted by Pensby
14 January - Runcorn Town Park - hosted by Warrington RR
28 January - Otterspool Causeway Liverpool - Hosted by Liverpool RC
25 February - Birchwood Forest park - hosted by Spectrum

All good, Arrowe Park a bit dull. Beacon best/most fell-y. You can run these as a guest. I think with L&D they ask you not to take a token so you don't mess up club-based champs. Best check.

Further afield you could search for Red Rose and Mid Lancs.

Northern Champs is always great - massive field and real quality at the front. Always good to get lapped by a Brownlee. Sefton Park Euro trials likewise, Oct/Nov.

wintermute

• menacing presence
#955 Re: Fell running
August 29, 2017, 01:21:41 pm
Tom, it's well worth joining another club as '1st claim other' for XC races as Bowland is fell only.
I run road/XC/track for Blackburn which costs a tenner a year as a 2nd claim member (but as above is actually 1st claim for these disciplines) which includes free entry into all the Red Rose and Mid Lancs fixtures, so it quickly pays for itself.
Have a look at your local clubs and see if they do anything similar.

Monolith

• forum hero
#956 Re: Fell running
August 29, 2017, 02:07:42 pm
Thanks guys. I'll get those fixtures in the diary now Steve and try to commit to as many as I can. I was born at Arrowe Park hospital and am from Upton originally. A home turf race I should do! Did it a few times as a youth when my teacher tried to rope me in to 6am Saturday starts all the time. Didn't last long but wish I would have carried on with it now.

I saw you were running for Blackburn as 2nd claim Chris. It makes sense for me to join Liverpool Harriers as my second since they're about 500 metres away and have a newly resurfaced track to train on midweek. Really getting keen to amp things up for next season. Hopefully see you both soon.  :)

T_B

• forum hero
#957 Re: Fell running
August 29, 2017, 02:17:15 pm
Really getting keen to amp things up for next season. Hopefully see you both soon.  :)

Have you sorted out your injuries then Tom? I saw that you are back into some proper training.

I need to sort out my hamstring/hip flexor as it's just going to be a recurring issue. I'm doing Totley Exterminator on Sunday, but I've accepted it may well be a dismal performance!

Monolith

• forum hero
#958 Re: Fell running
August 29, 2017, 02:40:25 pm
I've a few ongoing niggles from knee stiffness and disc damage Tom but nothing that can't be managed with some conditioning in between training days. Just had a great chat with a coach at the Harriers and they're keen for me to come join some of their track and cross country sessions. Just need a bit of an experienced eye to help I think. How are you getting on beast? Saw you've been doing a fair bit abroad, nice work!

T_B

• forum hero
#959 Re: Fell running
August 29, 2017, 02:54:05 pm
Sounds good.

Yeah been away but hopefully not lost too much. Keen to get back to something consistent and sort out niggles.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#960 Re: Fell running
September 01, 2017, 11:09:15 am
Some of this feed is just pure adverts but the helicopter footage when it's on is jawdropping...

http://utmbmontblanc.com/en/live/ccc

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#961 Re: Fell running
September 01, 2017, 11:46:39 am
My mate Richard Bannister is doing it (running under "Georgia" nationality, don't ask) number 786. He completed 2 years ago, but had a DNF on the UTMR last year due to heat exhaustion. Weather is not great apparently.

Just insane and nothing like fell running.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#962 Re: Fell running
September 01, 2017, 01:32:13 pm
Totally nuts - nearly fell off my chair when a lad I used to climb with (Lawrence Eccles 3186) came through an aid station in 63rd! Haven't seen him for years!!!

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#963 Re: Fell running
September 01, 2017, 02:41:28 pm
Lawrence Eccles has been doing really well, don't really know him but see him around a lot. They were 2nd on the Old County Tops after Jebby :'(

Monolith

• forum hero
#964 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2017, 09:10:20 am
Lawrence is a strong runner Si and runs for Penny Lane Striders. He's on Strava if you wanted to see what he's up to/say hello.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#965 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2017, 09:55:08 am
Penny Lane Striders.

If there was a scouse running club in a Simpsons episode, this is what they'd be called.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#966 Re: Fell running
September 04, 2017, 05:09:13 pm
My mate Richard Bannister is doing it (running under "Georgia" nationality, don't ask) number 786. He completed 2 years ago, but had a DNF on the UTMR last year due to heat exhaustion. Weather is not great apparently.

Just insane and nothing like fell running.

Sorry, he completed shorter version 2 years ago, did the full bifta this time - 167.5 in 39:41. I think the winner was about half that!!

Monolith

• forum hero
#967 Re: Fell running
September 08, 2017, 01:57:03 pm
XCers - I bought a pair of Adidas XCS shoes on offer. Having ordered two pairs, one size 11 and one size 11.5, my right foot which is slightly bigger than the left feels ever so slightly snug in the size 11 and slightly roomy in the 11.5. They seem to be an asymmetrical last (bit like V10 laceups) and I wondered what the likelihood of these sort of shoes stretching is?

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#968 Re: Fell running
September 08, 2017, 02:37:46 pm
No clue I'm afraid, but a small anecdote: the only time I've ever beaten my friend Fast Ian was when he lost his new spikes 6 times in the mud at the Cheshires.

Vaguely thinking of doing Langdale next month as a 'get round' race, having been on tickover fitness for a bit - what did you reckon to it Tom?

Monolith

• forum hero
#969 Re: Fell running
September 08, 2017, 02:44:52 pm
I'll go with the smaller pair then Steve! Good shout.

It'll definitely help if you can recce Langdale. Given that you've been ticking over nicely for a while, I'm sure you'll get round without any issues. I did it after several months of no running and simply cycling alone. Terrible decision but was fortunately blessed with immaculate conditions that made it enjoyable. Order one of the Pete Bland maps if you can too Steve, annotate bearings and laminate a copy of it. I might do it if I can but have a good pal's wedding the night before.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#970 Re: Fell running
September 13, 2017, 06:54:01 pm
Is anyone else doing Ring of Steall on Saturday or am i the only idiot. I suspect running will not feature throughout. I went a bit hard on descents last Wednesday and the knee protested.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#971 Re: Fell running
September 13, 2017, 10:38:54 pm
Nope, but good luck! 

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#972 Re: Fell running
September 13, 2017, 10:48:23 pm
Hey Chris, I'm not but I'll be up there for the skyline the following day (FML, I don't know how it came to this, what have I done etc). Good luck for Ring of Steall! What kind of time are you expecting yourself to come in? We might arrive in time to watch you cross finish line! What number should we look for?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#973 Re: Fell running
September 14, 2017, 11:36:57 pm
Hi, I'm 173. Given the weather I'll likely be in a blue jacket, yellow hat. Look for lanky. Finish wise not a clue, never done anything similar; 5.5 hours if I'm lucky? Weather is looking marginal I really hope they don't shorten course. We will probably head down glencoe on the way home, but unlikely to see the finish. On he off chance, what is your number? Good luck, like to hear about it. You be around Kinlochleven Sat night? If you see a red vw camper with roof bed and can hear sobbing coming from it it's probably me. And good luck too!!

reeve

• obsessive maniac
#974 Re: Fell running
September 15, 2017, 08:21:28 am
Great, I'll look out for you if we get there in time. I'm 192. You'll recognise me from my curly hair, wheezing, and lolling gait.
I'll look out for you. Which forecasst you looking at which looks marginal?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal