UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 306886 times)

Stabbsy

• junky
#800 Re: Fell running
January 17, 2017, 02:19:43 pm
Sorry, my mistake. I'll try pressing refresh next time!

chris20

• menacing presence
#801 Re: Fell running
January 18, 2017, 01:57:16 pm
Yep, it's definitely the worst I've seen it, apparently getting on for 40 DNF's this year compared to the usual 5 or 10. I wish I'd packed a proper jumper too, only had a Patagonia base layer and thin goretex on, cold was really hurting by Snake Top. That pull up Lawrence Edge is a tough one, really steep and stretches the legs and to then have to bog hop on Bleaklow to Higher Shelf Stones is what finished a lot of people off I bet. You made the right decision I think as the team I was running with took another 3 1/2 hours from Snake Top to the finish.

Snake Top was a scene of moderate devastation too what with the support for the Spine race, I got a lift from one of my club members who was up there to do hot drinks and he said even the front runners in the top ten looked properly beaten by there.

Definitely doing it next year as there must be at least one year where it's cold, sunny and clear with no breeze?!

I had a helly baselayer on and a tshirt and a Patagonia R1 in my bag which was definately the right choice.  Also I'd bought a pair of buffalo mitts a couple of months ago after reading good things about them on the FRA forum, this was there first proper test and they were brilliant, I think my hands were the only part of me that stayed warm the whole time.

I'm definately up for it again next year.  A mate told me the first time he did it (2012 I think) was the best weather he has seen, blue skies and a light frost so it was solid under foot

ajh

#802 Re: Fell running
January 23, 2017, 05:44:44 pm
Anybody thinking of doing the Teenager with Altitude or Anniversary Waltz this year? Places filling up fast and I'm throwing my hat in to the ring for the former this year after last year's Waltz outing. TWA looks to be a longish day out.

http://www.anniversarywaltz.co.uk

I'm in for the Waltz. Really looking forward to it - the running around Newlands is just so good.

Ennerdale entry going in soon too...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#803 Re: Fell running
January 23, 2017, 05:49:48 pm
Not exactly fell running (not many on here at the moment) but did a 10k XC race yesterday. really enjoyed it in spite of being rubbish (time circa 53:30) going was good - all muddy bits still mostly frozen. Felt a bit exclusive though, mostly club runners. Time will tell.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#804 Re: Fell running
January 27, 2017, 03:23:22 pm
Just done something I may live to regret, but looks like I've applied for the Ring Of Steall Skyline race after a bit of encouragement and poking (mostly from friends who want someone slower than them taking part). Anyone else entered, looks like a few places left.

T_B

• forum hero
#805 Re: Fell running
January 27, 2017, 03:48:53 pm
Awesome. I bet it'll be brilliant.

I was seriously thinking about it, but I've got commitment issues at the mo ::)

Anyone else (apart from Stabbsy) doing Tigger Tor on Sunday? I ran most of the course with a mate last Sunday over lovely frozen ground. Looking like it's gonna be somewhat softer underfoot this weekend. I'm psyched as I'm spectating (got kids in tow) and it'll be the first time I've seem the front runners in a fell race. The line off the top of Burbage north is sooooo fast, I hope no shoe-gazing boulderers wandering around with pads aren't taken out!

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#806 Re: Fell running
January 27, 2017, 04:09:44 pm
Not exactly fell running (not many on here at the moment) but did a 10k XC race yesterday. really enjoyed it in spite of being rubbish (time circa 53:30) going was good - all muddy bits still mostly frozen. Felt a bit exclusive though, mostly club runners. Time will tell.

Good work beast! Be good for your speed too if you can keep those sessions up.

Anyone else (apart from Stabbsy) doing Tigger Tor on Sunday? I ran most of the course with a mate last Sunday over lovely frozen ground. Looking like it's gonna be somewhat softer underfoot this weekend. I'm psyched as I'm spectating (got kids in tow) and it'll be the first time I've seem the front runners in a fell race. The line off the top of Burbage north is sooooo fast, I hope no shoe-gazing boulderers wandering around with pads aren't taken out!

I really wanted to drive over for this as it'd be something a bit different terrain-wise but have committed to a Teenager recce on Sunday. Best of luck to you all!

al

• obsessive maniac
    • 50folds
#807 Re: Fell running
January 27, 2017, 05:36:30 pm
Anyone else (apart from Stabbsy) doing Tigger Tor on Sunday?
i have a place but my calf's knackered so won't make it, if anyone wants my entry I could email the RO - gutted, its always a good way to start the year

SA Chris

• forum hero
#808 Re: Fell running
January 27, 2017, 05:48:28 pm

I was seriously thinking about it, but I've got commitment issues at the mo ::)

If i read it right, looks like about 20-30 places left.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#809 Re: Fell running
January 28, 2017, 12:54:37 pm
Anybody thinking of doing the Teenager with Altitude or Anniversary Waltz this year? Places filling up fast and I'm throwing my hat in to the ring for the former this year after last year's Waltz outing. TWA looks to be a longish day out.

http://www.anniversarywaltz.co.uk

I'm in for the Waltz. Really looking forward to it - the running around Newlands is just so good.

Ennerdale entry going in soon too...

Just signed up for The Waltz too. First proper venture into Lakes races, and also at that distance. Excited with trepidation!

Boogster

• regular
#810 Re: Fell running
January 28, 2017, 06:29:18 pm
I'm doing Tigger Tor. First ever fell race. Really looking forward to it. :)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#811 Re: Fell running
January 28, 2017, 06:39:14 pm
Good luck guys

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#812 Fell running
January 29, 2017, 07:36:56 pm
I'm doing Tigger Tor. First ever fell race. Really looking forward to it. :)
How did you find it Boogster? Be good to hear what you thought of the organisation and set up too as I can pass it on to the RO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boogster

• regular
#813 Re: Fell running
January 29, 2017, 10:53:34 pm
The whole thing was brilliant, I thought. Well organised, friendly, good marshalling, great course (although it's a shame about the stretch of road at the end) . From an organising perspective I think the only thing that could have been improved was the sound set up: I didn't hear when we were called to the starting pen so ended up almost literally last in. Couldn't hear the prize giving very well either. :)

Ended up coming 34th and it was mega. Absolutely bombed down the downhills and ended up rolling in the bog at the bottom of Carl Wark - all good fun. Really great pick for first fell race: serious, but not too serious. Will definitely be racing a lot more this year!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:59:23 pm by Boogster »

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#814 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2017, 08:52:44 am
The whole thing was brilliant, I thought. Well organised, friendly, good marshalling, great course (although it's a shame about the stretch of road at the end) . From an organising perspective I think the only thing that could have been improved was the sound set up: I didn't hear when we were called to the starting pen so ended up almost literally last in. Couldn't hear the prize giving very well either. :)

Ended up coming 34th and it was mega. Absolutely bombed down the downhills and ended up rolling in the bog at the bottom of Carl Wark - all good fun. Really great pick for first fell race: serious, but not too serious. Will definitely be racing a lot more this year!
Glad you enjoyed it Boogster and a great result in your first ever race, I'd have been well chuffed with that position!  :2thumbsup:

I've passed your comments on too to Totley AC. Road section isn't ideal as you say but an unfortunate part of having to start the race where we do.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#815 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2017, 09:31:02 am
Just signed up for The Waltz too. First proper venture into Lakes races, and also at that distance. Excited with trepidation!

Awesome news Mini! Sounds like there'll be a bit of a UKB team out on the day. The Teenager sets off earlier than The Waltz but it'd be good to meet a few of you post race.

The Waltz is such an amazing route and if the weather is anything like it was last year we'll be in for a treat.

galpinos

• forum hero
#816 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2017, 10:18:09 am
Randon news - Jorg Verhoeven, 9a wad and free Nose ascensionist managed a second place in the C class at the Marmot Dark Mountains at the weekend.

T_B

• forum hero
#817 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2017, 10:35:08 am
Randon news - Jorg Verhoeven, 9a wad and free Nose ascensionist managed a second place in the C class at the Marmot Dark Mountains at the weekend.

8)  :bow:

From his FB page "This is gonna sound weird and don't worry, I haven't stopped climbing, but I'm happy (and crazy scared) to have decided that I will join the Marmot Dark Mountains Marathon! The event has a strong English touch: it's at night. It's mid winter. There's river crossings. No GPS. Easiest course is 35 km and 1800 altitude meters... It's gonna be awwwwesome! And no, I have never done any running before, so I'll probably die."

Stabbsy

• junky
#818 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2017, 10:58:43 am

I'd agree with most of that - cracking day out, great route, managed to stay on my feet all the way round. I actually quite like the road bit, it's a good test to see if you can still run make your legs work properly after 9 miles of bogs, still had a bit of a sprint finish at the end (I lost!). Loads of people out supporting - T_B at Burbage North, big crowd at Higgar. Sound system wasn't great, both at the start and for the presentations - hardly realised the presentations were going on and I was stood middle of the room.

Looking back down the first field when you join the road at about 1km made you realise how big a race it was and what an effort it must be to organise and get everyone back safe. Looking forward to the next Totley race in May.

T_B

• forum hero
#819 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2017, 11:03:49 am
U must be pleased with your result Neil - only 2 mins behind 2nd place!

Was fun to watch, but definitely more fun to be running ;-)

galpinos

• forum hero
#820 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2017, 11:07:56 am

8)  :bow:

From his FB page "This is gonna sound weird and don't worry, I haven't stopped climbing, but I'm happy (and crazy scared) to have decided that I will join the Marmot Dark Mountains Marathon! The event has a strong English touch: it's at night. It's mid winter. There's river crossings. No GPS. Easiest course is 35 km and 1800 altitude meters... It's gonna be awwwwesome! And no, I have never done any running before, so I'll probably die."

The inaugural Dark Mountains has been my only DNF, weather dependent, it's a pretty tough race. I found it far harder than the High Peak Marathon but it is quite a different beast and when I did the Dark Mountains I was running with an epileptic who only suffered fits when tired at night who managed to get mild hypothermia......

Stabbsy

• junky
#821 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2017, 11:31:44 am
U must be pleased with your result Neil - only 2 mins behind 2nd place!

Was fun to watch, but definitely more fun to be running ;-)
Only 2 mins but 11 places, a long way off troubling the podium! Well pleased with my efforts, not sure I could have run much better on the day. Had a rough patch on the way back to the packhorse bridge from Houndkirk, but otherwise felt pretty strong all the way round. Still need to work on my descending on steep stuff though, definitely lost ground there and made it up on the climbs/flat.

Brannock

• regular
#822 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2017, 01:04:52 pm

Nav wad, we gave up after spending hour and a half failing to find the 4th check point. Can see there route here. Apparently the nav this year was way harder than last year when it was in the northern Lakes. Big drop out rate across all classes.

Well done folks who did the Tigger Tor, and good luck on the TWA/Waltz, TWA is probably the best race I've done.

Boogster

• regular
#823 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2017, 01:39:41 pm
Quote from: Boogster link=topic=24552.msg543779#msg543779 idate=1485730414

Glad you enjoyed it Boogster and a great result in your first ever race, I'd have been well chuffed with that position!  :2thumbsup:

I've passed your comments on too to Totley AC. Road section isn't ideal as you say but an unfortunate part of having to start the race where we do.

Thanks! I was pretty chuffed. Totally understand that the road section has to be there; I just need to get fitter so that I'm able to run it properly next year.

Brannock: sounds horrendous! Hope it wasn't too disappointing.

I'm really keen to get into the Lakes now; thinking of Fairfield Horseshoe race in May. Anyone done it? Any other middle distance recommendations!

T_B

• forum hero
#824 Re: Fell running
January 30, 2017, 02:35:55 pm
I'm really keen to get into the Lakes now; thinking of Fairfield Horseshoe race in May. Anyone done it? Any other middle distance recommendations!

Buttermere-Sailbeck the following weekend? Some steep ascents/descents but also plenty of runnable sections over the tops. Definitely no road at the end. Just nail it it down Whiteless Pike as fast as you can into the finishing field and collapse.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal