UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 304653 times)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#500 Re: Fell running
May 23, 2016, 02:25:37 pm
Ace. I do love the simplicity of fell racing, the low keyness, the lack of faff. I've had a break from climbing whilst running and cycling more and gone back to it with heavy legs and weak arms. I still find much of the same crack, but maybe a little more ice to break initially? Like when you point to something and say 'about English 5c' thinking you're being all accommodating adding the 'English' ...and you get a blank look because the other person only really knows wall grades.

Excalibur marathon for me in the Clwyds this weekend - one of my 2 big ticks for the year and delighted to sneak in under 5 hours. Rotten weather and some surprisingly stiff pulls I'd managed to wipe from memory - fairly local hills to me and I know the course. The other old gits must have been elsewhere because I managed 2nd V50. That NEVER happens.

galpinos

• forum hero
#501 Re: Fell running
May 23, 2016, 02:48:26 pm
Fell running is a tonic. I love how low key and ‘amateur’ it is.

Every year I head up to the mother in law's house with the rest of the wife's family on the edge of the North York Moors for the town show, proper affair with a big show field, lots of farmers in their Sunday best and judges in white lab coats poking farm animals. A few years back I went for a run on the moors the day after and got caught up in a race and decided to do it the next year, managing to convince my bother and sister in law to do it.

It's become an annual tradition. The in-laws are from London and keen runners but used to 10ks, half marathons and marathons and all the faff, hassle and crowds that they entail. They couldn't believe they could just turn up, hand over three pounds and run. They didn't have the required kit the year after the new FRA rules came in and people clubbed together so they could run. They couldn't get their heads round the banter and encouragement as they struggled round the course. The rest of the family walk up the hill and cheer the runners on (it's an out and back course so they see everyone twice) and it just epitomises fell running to me.

Great stuff.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#502 Re: Fell running
May 23, 2016, 03:54:24 pm
Could it be that loads of climbers seem to be into fell running because it provides such a good balance?

Or more simply a shared love of the outdoors

wintermute

• menacing presence
#503 Re: Fell running
May 23, 2016, 04:31:52 pm
Great write up Tom, glad you enjoyed it!

Couldn't agree more about the fell running ethos and community. It's bloody brilliant.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#504 Re: Fell running
May 23, 2016, 04:33:12 pm
Highlander anybody? I know Galpinos and myself will be in different teams in B class. Anybody else?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#505 Re: Fell running
May 23, 2016, 06:36:26 pm
Great write T_B, you're spot on with the social and friendly nature of fell races. Yes, there are more "organised" races starting to emerge but those simple local races are where it's at for me. And it really doesn't matter where you finish either, you see people right at the back of the pack smiling and enjoying it just as much as the faster ones.

andy_e

• forum hero
#506 Re: Fell running
May 23, 2016, 06:56:06 pm
Might have to try this fell-running lark, a friend was telling me the difference between fell running nd trail running today and his description of what you describe as "low key" made it seem ace!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#507 Re: Fell running
May 23, 2016, 09:13:01 pm
Great write up Tom. 

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#508 Re: Fell running
May 23, 2016, 10:50:33 pm
Great write up Tom.

Yes,  tremendous.

Great effort, and impressive prep too.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#509 Re: Fell running
May 24, 2016, 08:21:55 pm
Ditto what all the others have already said Tom. Fell running is a great sub-culture, unique I feel in it's complete lack of ego, wholly embracing of all attendees (not just runners but organisers, marshalls, cake makers et al...!) as well as supporting local communities. Add onto that you get to visit some of the most fantastic areas of the great British countryside, with like minded people who all enjoy a good pint at the end of the race, where the people coming in at the back of the field are patted on the back more than the front runners - what's not to love!

I wish I'd gotten into this years ago!

Anyone racing this weekend? Hutton Roof race nr Kirkby Lonsdale for me on Saturday afternoon. Infamous for the quality of the post race cakes I hear.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#510 Re: Fell running
May 25, 2016, 11:41:47 am
Hutton Roof: cake approved. Word of advice to get an early start - snarled in M6 Bank Holiday traffic last year and just missed the start. Ran around with another guy as an unofficial sweeper and really enjoyed the course.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#511 Re: Fell running
May 25, 2016, 11:57:21 am
Sounds great. Almost inspired me, but not sure knees will take it.

My partner did this last year, and loved it;

http://www.illuminatorrun.co.uk/

Amazing vibe; piper at one of the points, techno playing at the next.

She has signed up this year again, I will probably go and take photos.

If anyone fancies it they can doss at ours before or after.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#512 Re: Fell running
May 25, 2016, 10:02:08 pm
Hutton Roof: cake approved. Word of advice to get an early start - snarled in M6 Bank Holiday traffic last year and just missed the start....

Cheers Steve, thanks for the heads up! I can normally make that junction in about 45 mins from Chorley, but will give ample time this weekend to get oop there in time to place a pre race walking-stick-carving competition sweep stake bet ;-)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#513 Re: Fell running
May 31, 2016, 01:18:15 pm
Awesome write up Tom. I've been through the same epiphany and am pleased to see how much I've progressed over the last year of training/racing. It seems to become ever more addictive and I'm sure you'll be feeling the same from now on.

It's also hugely inspiring to see two of my local Liverpool heroes running immensely impressive times at ages 64 and 72. Long may we all improve!

galpinos

• forum hero
#514 Re: Fell running
May 31, 2016, 01:31:39 pm
Did the Rab Evening Mini MM on Friday and jolly good it was too! Good turn out, lovely running around Dovedale (that smell of wild garlic always makes me think of summers climbing n the lime) and FREE cake at the finish.

Wasn't sure whether the location was going to work or that 2hrs would be long enough to set a decent course (pretty sure the winners got near all the CPs) but, despite the CPs being a bit too close together there seemed to be plenty of navigational challenges despite there being paths for most of the route I took.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#515 Re: Fell running
May 31, 2016, 02:27:40 pm
Did the Rab Evening Mini MM on Friday and jolly good it was too! Good turn out, lovely running around Dovedale (that smell of wild garlic always makes me think of summers climbing n the lime) and FREE cake at the finish.

Wasn't sure whether the location was going to work or that 2hrs would be long enough to set a decent course (pretty sure the winners got near all the CPs) but, despite the CPs being a bit too close together there seemed to be plenty of navigational challenges despite there being paths for most of the route I took.
Didn't even know these were happening. I did one a few years ago starting at Ilam Hall, presume it was the same set up this year? It was a really nice course and mix of checkpoints though as you say, except for one up on Bunster Hill which was a pain to find (CP description was on summit ridge line by a tree, except the ridge line was around 500m long and covered in trees).

Going to aim to do at least the November Dark Peak one, and hopefully either the Lakes one in August or the second evening event in July.

galpinos

• forum hero
#516 Re: Fell running
May 31, 2016, 02:41:23 pm

Started and finished at the Old Dog pub in Thorpe.They're a bit restricted by fields so have to pick checkpoints that are linked by footpaths I guess. I found the nav easy, it was my legs that struggled. Having said that, there were a few people who got in looking harassed having had some nav issues. It made for an easy route choice as I just had the back up plan of bailing into dovedale an racing along the path if time was running short.

It's a bit different to racing over moorland, just running on a bearing for 2 miles till you hit a re-entrant, it's more, "which footpath to take and where's the stile?" There was a checkpoint up on Bunster Hill again (not on the summit) but it was an easy find.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#517 Re: Fell running
May 31, 2016, 04:44:44 pm
Sounds like a pretty similar area to last time (a bit further south east perhaps). We took the same approach in terms of doing an out and back up Dovedale and like you say, no need to run off a bearing which I kind of prefer anyway (as pretty rusty at it). We ended up just heading along the track on the bottom on the return leg and worked out which CP's we could bag in the time left, pretty straightforward. I suspect the next Lakes one will be a bit more of a challenge.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#518 Re: Fell running
June 01, 2016, 08:56:00 pm

Glad you enjoyed it. I really need to doing these sort of events to get experience and confidence in my nav' skills, something I really need to pin down this year. And they look like good fun!

I ventured up the M6 to tick Hutton Roof fell race over the weekend. Only 50 mins up the road from my folks in Chorley (or 2hr 15m on a Bank Holiday Saturday afternoon, aaaahhhh...!!!) and a race I hadn't done before so thought why the hell not! It aint a Lakes classic, but still an enjoyable afternoon out. 12km over limestone fells, lovely wild orchids and very runnable course. Only downfall was shoe choice (X-Talons), the limestone trails battered my feet into submission, with several burst blisters around my (many years of wearing undersized 5:10's induced) bunyon! Still an enjoyable and gloriously warm outing.

As a result, Monday was spectating duties, taking a few piccies at the local Shutlingsloe Fell Race and Wilboarclough fete. I do like the really small and short races (86 runners, the Earl Derby came 72nd!) and I could see almost all of it from start, topping out and the finishing from the one spot on the hillside. Seeing the likes of Simon Bailey descending like a banshee is always worthy of heading off for a pint of local Winkle ale to console yourself of your own lowly abilities  :2thumbsup:

Mr_Cus

• player
#519 Re: Fell running
June 09, 2016, 10:42:12 am
I did the Calver Fell Race yesterday evening after finding out about it from a colleague in the morning. This was my first fell race.  Really enjoyed it although knolwedge of the course would have helped, I went in with little idea about the course profile etc but did alright in the end.

Grindleford next week!   :great:

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#520 Re: Fell running
June 09, 2016, 03:08:03 pm
Nice one Mr_Cus - welcome aboard! Up The Beast for me last night (above Maeshafn quarry rock fans). Hot diggity it was warm work. Spotted that the course had changed slightly with a bonus climb at the end - snuck a couple of places from people that emptied the tank too soon. Pub finish natch :)

T_B

• forum hero
#521 Re: Fell running
June 10, 2016, 12:51:46 pm
Good one Mr_Cus. It'll be sweaty tonight for Castleton, not that I'm running  :boohoo:

A start list of 46 for Ennerdale tomorrow apparently, with a clag-tastic looking forecast. Good luck to anyone doing it.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#522 Re: Fell running
June 10, 2016, 03:44:27 pm
It'll be a great evening at Castleton I reckon, hot and humid but great up on the ridge. First time I'll have missed it in a while but it clashes with Great North Swim which I'm doing tonight and tomorrow in Windermere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#523 Re: Fell running
June 13, 2016, 01:48:30 pm
A start list of 46 for Ennerdale tomorrow apparently, with a clag-tastic looking forecast. Good luck to anyone doing it.

Gutted to have missed this. Had it as one of my main goals this year.

I saw word that they might have to pull it if numbers don't increase. Mention also made of the fact that it coincided with Cwm Pennant.

T_B

• forum hero
#524 Re: Fell running
June 13, 2016, 02:01:17 pm
Apparently around 70 on the day and the weather wasn't so bad. Rain held off, though cloud base at 500m. Are you injured Tom?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal