UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307495 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#475 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2016, 12:39:01 pm
Yes, that's me and yep B-S coming up. There's another local race (Totley Moor) on the Tuesday before B-S but I think I need to make sure I'm totally fresh. Hopefully I'll be reet as long as I take it very steady!

I will very likely see you there then squire. I've taken tomorrow off at short notice to recce it but the Met Office are now saying fog and mist. When will weather bad luck end!? :'(

Brannock

• regular
#476 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2016, 01:18:36 pm
Great time there Stabbsy in the 3 peaks, very impressive, I really struggled, the pace I was aiming for was way to optimistic so started off far to quick, also found all the hard packed trails and tracks tough on joints/Achilles/back. Good atmosphere though, the snow definitely made it memorable.

Burbage skyline last night was brilliant, beautiful evening, nice route and loads of people out.

Stabbsy

• junky
#477 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2016, 06:20:18 pm
Great time there Stabbsy in the 3 peaks, very impressive, I really struggled, the pace I was aiming for was way to optimistic so started off far to quick, also found all the hard packed trails and tracks tough on joints/Achilles/back. Good atmosphere though, the snow definitely made it memorable.

Burbage skyline last night was brilliant, beautiful evening, nice route and loads of people out.
Good effort for running Burbage Skyline after Saturday! I'm still feeling a bit tender, although I did manage a good session at lunch so maybe back to normal soon.

I'm hopefully down for Totley Moor if I can get out of work in time. It's two days after Calderdale Relay, so might not be fully recovered but worth a shot. Anyone else?

andy_e

• forum hero
#478 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2016, 06:48:15 pm
Apparently you were only 5 minutes off first class Neil! Good effort! My pal did it in 4.10, says the slushiness made for some interesting running!

T_B

• forum hero
#479 Re: Fell running
May 05, 2016, 04:32:41 pm
Just entered Nine Edges (as a Climber obvs) #psyche etc ;D

http://www.edalemrt.co.uk/the_nine_edges16.html

dave

#480 Re: Fell running
May 05, 2016, 05:13:11 pm
E6 on every crag yeah?

T_B

• forum hero
#481 Re: Fell running
May 05, 2016, 05:19:19 pm
Nine Edges, Nine E Points did cross my mind as not totally stupid (though would mean carrying Ninjas). But I'm cajoling a mate who doesn't really climb any more to go for the climbing option on the basis of us doing Diffs ;)

Anyway Dave you're the right shape for a runner, surely this sort of outing would be right up your street? :jab:

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#482 Re: Fell running
May 14, 2016, 07:20:52 pm
Did cragx Crawl this morning, really nice local race with low key start and nice mixed course; quick road start, fast downhill, steep climb, then mix of farm tracks, technical downhill through woodland, flat meadow and then the old railway from Monsal Head, finishing with a steep road pull back to the club to the finish. Good value race with a free pint at the end, and managed to place mid-table respectability which will do me fine.

tomtom

• forum hero
#483 Re: Fell running
May 14, 2016, 10:41:43 pm
I managed not to get in the way of the Cresswell Crawlers when navigating the narrow path from rubicon avec boulderising pads....

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#484 Fell running
May 14, 2016, 11:00:28 pm
I managed not to get in the way of the Cresswell Crawlers when navigating the narrow path from rubicon avec boulderising pads....
Think it was the runners at the front you encountered as looked like a team was well in place at Rubicon by the time I got there. Looked like a nice day on the lime.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#485 Re: Fell running
May 15, 2016, 08:27:50 am
Gutted I wasn't local for cragx Crawl. It was my second fell race a few years and enjoyed, as you say, the low key feel and the free pint - a race and pinted all before midday, perfick!

Mount Famine from Hayfield next weekend for me, anyone else?

But more currently, who's following Nicky Spinks' Double Bob Graham attempt. Jaw droppingly impressive. I've had two solid nights sleep whilst she's been out there constantly ticking those Lakeland fells!!!

Mr_Cus

• player
#486 Re: Fell running
May 15, 2016, 08:35:47 am

I'm doing the 9 edges as a runner. I was going to go for the climbing option but thought I'd end up falling off of something with wobbly legs!  I've never run that far before even on road so its going to be challenging.  I'm training lots and its paying off though so feeling like i will be ready for september.   :boxing:

How hard really is it?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#487 Re: Fell running
May 15, 2016, 10:49:41 am

I'm doing the 9 edges as a runner. I was going to go for the climbing option but thought I'd end up falling off of something with wobbly legs!  I've never run that far before even on road so its going to be challenging.  I'm training lots and its paying off though so feeling like i will be ready for september.   :boxing:

How hard really is it?
its actually not too bad. Once you've got the steep pull up on to Derwent Edge then the steadier climb on to Stanage, it's actually a really steady route with no big climbs left, and all easy tracks to follow. It's a great introduction to slightly longer trail races.

T_B

• forum hero
#488 Re: Fell running
May 15, 2016, 05:13:37 pm

But more currently, who's following Nicky Spinks' Double Bob Graham attempt. Jaw droppingly impressive. I've had two solid nights sleep whilst she's been out there constantly ticking those Lakeland fells!!!

Watching it now. Unbelievable.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#489 Re: Fell running
May 15, 2016, 10:27:52 pm

Watching it now. Unbelievable.
Finished and beat the record by over an hour. Unbelievable indeed.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#490 Re: Fell running
May 15, 2016, 11:00:12 pm

How hard really is it?
its actually not too bad. Once you've got the steep pull up on to Derwent Edge then the steadier climb on to Stanage, it's actually a really steady route with no big climbs left, and all easy tracks to follow. It's a great introduction to slightly longer trail races.

Yep it's a great day out.  I did it a few times on my tod when I lived in Sheffield and soloed a diff on each crag in my Walshes.  The only problem back then was getting enough water en route. I did try the other way around once which wasn't much fun at all.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#491 Re: Fell running
May 16, 2016, 08:42:49 am
Just put myself on the waiting list for Nine Edges. Thought I was away that weekend but just checked my diary and its all clear so hopefully there will be a space freed up.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#492 Re: Fell running
May 16, 2016, 11:13:02 am
Finished and beat the record by over an hour. Unbelievable indeed.

Incredible achievement!11 :bow:

Stabbsy

• junky
#493 Re: Fell running
May 18, 2016, 07:41:26 am
Anyone else at Totley Moor last night? Great race, fast and runnable (although my legs were saying otherwise on the last climb after Sunday's efforts at the Calderdale Relay!). Nice food at the Cricket afterwards as well.

T_B

• forum hero
#494 Re: Fell running
May 18, 2016, 08:48:09 am
Nice one - was it a big field? I was really tempted, but decided to be sensible and save my legs for this weekend. Next local race I plan to do is Castleton (btw can't find a route map for this on-line - any ideas?)

Stabbsy

• junky
#495 Re: Fell running
May 18, 2016, 10:11:34 am
Pretty big for a local evening race (250 plus, I'd guess). I was just outside the top 20, so fairly pleased with my efforts. I'm normally pretty good on the hills/flat and less good downhill, but was completely the opposite last night - lack of climbing energy necessitated throwing myself down the two descents!

Castleton map :-

http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=22

I'm not going to make Castleton, as I'm off to Wales that weekend. It'll have to wait until next year.

T_B

• forum hero

Brannock

• regular
#497 Re: Fell running
May 18, 2016, 01:33:53 pm
Totley Moor was a good race, as you say all very runable, brutal climb at the start though, just goes on and on.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#498 Re: Fell running
May 18, 2016, 10:18:22 pm
Ran Totley Moor as a sweeper for the club last night. Still really enjoyed it though and always a nice atmosphere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T_B

• forum hero
#499 Re: Fell running
May 23, 2016, 12:34:32 pm
Buttermere-Sailbeck

This is not really a report for the hardcore fell runners on here, but maybe someone considering getting into fell running will find it interesting?

Firstly, a bit of a rant. It seems to me that climbing is in danger of disappearing up its own behind. Fell running is a tonic. I love how low key and ‘amateur’ it is.  Everyone understands a time and a race position (though admittedly, those who don’t take part won’t necessarily understand the level of athleticism required to run up and down steep mountains). There is no grey and no need to ‘spray’. Perhaps Skyrunning and Ultras are bringing more money/sponsorship/bull into mountain running, but for now, UK fell running seems to be free of all that. I've heard that the FRA consciously don't promote the sport. Good. Plus everyone seems so supportive and friendly and happy. At the Tor last week someone was falling off, ranting and screaming, letting out all their frustration and aggression. I recommend getting some fell shoes.

I’ve always considered myself pretty strong in the hills having grown up in the Lakes, done a lot of walking and climbed a few 6000m peaks. I have big legs and walking uphill or moving over rough terrain is not something I tend to struggle with. Time to re-calibrate! OK, so I admit I am crap at running, and struggle to maintain any kind of pace on the flat, but I thought a Lakeland fell race would play to my strengths. Don’t get me wrong, it wasn’t horrendous or anything, indeed I would describe Saturday’s race as exhilarating, humbling and liberating. Liberating might seem an odd description, but it really does feel liberating to be crap at something and yet enjoy it so much. No expectation, no pressure, just try as hard as you can and see what happens.

Until Saturday, I’d done two local fell races, Wolf’s Pit and Burbage Skyline. Buttermere-Sailbeck was like a Lakeland multi-pitch E1 compared to leading Long Tall Sally. It was absolutely chucking it down at registration. With 175 competitors, they delayed the start to 1230 and the weather cleared. We all lined up next to the Bridge Inn and I skulked at the back, knowing there was no way I’d be sprinting up that road. Off we went and I plodded my way up the tarmac until we broke out into a long line heading for Knott Rigg. I was doing this route ‘on-sight’, so I’d spent a lot of time working out what I thought my timings on various sections would be. So, 30 minutes to the summit of Knott Rig, bang on. I tucked in behind Mrs Bonjoy (big Dark Peak contingent on Sat) and didn’t push it too hard up the first climb. Then we were running over the tops, just as I’d imagined. The clouds were clearing off and the mountains looked amazing, like a scene out of Lord of the Rings. At the first check point I was still on my schedule, the descent off Aard Crags was rocky and slippy, so I opted for the breaking action of the heather and passed a few people.

I’d wanted to be at the base of the Causey Pike climb within an hour, and was there at 55 minutes. I had a drink and shovelled in a honey stinger waffle. I had estimated 20-minutes for Causey Pike. Hmm, maybe not. I didn’t actually find it too bad until we hit the rocky ridge near the summit and the legs really started to tire. It’s flat right off the summit, but my legs just wouldn’t get going again. Sh*t!  For a moment I thought it was going to be a case of just trying to make it round, but after about 5 minutes and the gentle descent to Sail pass, they came back to life. I pushed on up the zig zags to Sail and got some confidence back choosing some good lines and descending quickly before the rocky climb up Crag Hill. It was claggy on the summit and I had my compass out ready. I knew this was where people sometimes went wrong. I'd studied Google Earth and knew the line I wanted to take. Luckily a brief clearing in the clag meant I could just run it without any doubts. It was so cool to be running in a straight line towards Whiteless Edge, as I’d planned in my ‘mind’s eye’. I glanced down to Buttermere village and it looked a long way down. Like Aard Crags, the descent was steep and my quads were stiffening up. I was too tired to take the brakes off and by now knew there was no way I’d get in for 2hrs20mins. A mate had said one of the good things about B-S is that you finish at the bottom of the mountain, no grim flat section at the end. Running through the gate into the finishing field was a great feeling and I was so glad I didn’t have to run any flat.

What a course. It was tough, but not entirely 'Type 2' fun as there were moments when I felt good and could glance across the valleys and breathe in the views.  I love the Lakes! I came 123rd in 2:24:39 (out of 175 competitors). The winner did it in 1hr29mins, which, given the amount of ascent/descent in 15Km just blows me away. At some point I’m going to watch a race to see how the top runners move at that speed (you never see them if you're a punter at the back). The weather was perfect in the end (not too hot, nor too windy). I think I’d like to do another Lakeland fell race, in the meantime, I’m going to work on my running.

P.S. I still love climbing, and actually felt very chilled bouldering on Sunday at Trowbarrow. Could it be that loads of climbers seem to be into fell running because it provides such a good balance?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal