UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 306928 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#450 Re: Fell running
April 27, 2016, 10:35:55 am
I'd be there but will be away at Center Parcs that week.

"Going to CenterParcs"

Stabbsy

• junky
#451 Re: Fell running
April 27, 2016, 10:59:02 am
Anybody have designs on this weekend?
3 Peaks on Saturday - pretty much the main focus of this winter's training. Feeling in pretty good shape and done all the hard work, so it's all just about the execution now. Can't wait, but also slightly nervous - resting/tapering is really hard work when you feel like you should be doing more! Sunday/Monday will probably involve doing as little as possible.

Tom - It's worth going up to spectate and do a run in the area - the atmosphere was great last year and was what convinced me to sign up for this year's race.

galpinos

• forum hero
#452 Re: Fell running
April 27, 2016, 11:11:40 am

Did any UKBers do the Downfall apart from erm,sam and myself?
Gave up my entry and did an XC race near Holmfirth instead. It's on the list for next year. How was it - I heard the weather wasn't that great? I'm planning on doing Kinder Trog in June - bit longer at 17 miles but covers some of the same ground.

Really good. Quite a runnable course, the uphills aren't brutal and trot over the top is quite fun hock-hopping into a fast descent. Started to run out of gas on the run in but did better than expected (not been getting out and had had a mare at Herod Farm on the Wednesday before).  Weather was a bit snowy and chilly but not an issue.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#453 Re: Fell running
April 27, 2016, 11:51:58 am
Anybody have designs on this weekend?
3 Peaks on Saturday - pretty much the main focus of this winter's training. Feeling in pretty good shape and done all the hard work, so it's all just about the execution now. Can't wait, but also slightly nervous - resting/tapering is really hard work when you feel like you should be doing more! Sunday/Monday will probably involve doing as little as possible.

Tom - It's worth going up to spectate and do a run in the area - the atmosphere was great last year and was what convinced me to sign up for this year's race.

Awesome. Wishing you every success in the world for your efforts beast. Rooting for all UKBers at this race!

I might head up on a whim and do the Coniston race. Had a mild virus this week and not too sure how flogging myself would feel. Indecisive is my middle name really.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#454 Re: Fell running
April 27, 2016, 12:12:39 pm
Didn't make it unfortunately as was in London at the weekend. Watching the elite men and women at the London Marathon was pretty amazing.

Monolith

• forum hero
#455 Re: Fell running
April 29, 2016, 10:59:50 am
Looking rather snowy in Cumbria at the minute. A colleague was in Coniston yesterday and showed me a few photos this morning. Should make for an interesting race tomorrow.

The Buttermere webcam also making me question whether tomorrow is the best day for recceing Buttermere-Sailbeck as was the plan....

http://www.crofthousefarmcafe.co.uk/Webcam.html

T_B

• forum hero
#456 Re: Fell running
April 29, 2016, 11:10:20 am
The forecast looks decent for tomorrow no? Going wrong coming off Crag Hill seems to be a theme, I'd stick with the plan if I were you. How many UKBers have entered B-S then? And is anyone planning to do Helvellyn And The Dodds? I'm probably getting ahead of myself but I'm up with the family the following weekend so the latter is a possibility. If B-S doesn't completely break me  ;D

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#457 Re: Fell running
April 29, 2016, 11:33:30 am
"The climb up Causey Pike will sort you all out."   :lol:

T_B

• forum hero
#458 Re: Fell running
April 29, 2016, 11:48:32 am
"Causey Pike is a massive prick."

wintermute

Monolith

• forum hero
#459 Re: Fell running
April 29, 2016, 11:57:20 am
Other massive pricks include: Kirk Fell approached from Wasdale and Seaness  - the first 'hillock' on the Black Combe race.

I can also assure you that Arenig Fawr is a massive bellend.

B-S tomorrow it should be then!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#460 Re: Fell running
April 29, 2016, 11:58:02 am
Fusedale on the 100 is my least favourite of everything.  Shudder. :sick:

Monolith

• forum hero
#461 Re: Fell running
April 29, 2016, 12:35:57 pm
Looking a bit foggy smack bang in themiddle of the day int morro actually...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gctwmqqnh#?fcTime=1461974400

Monolith

• forum hero
#462 Re: Fell running
May 03, 2016, 03:11:35 pm
Saw that Stabbsy got on well with the Three Peaks at the weekend. Good work beast! Anybody else take part or run the Coniston race?

I abandoned any activity over the weekend due to a visit from a friend. Have taken this Thursday off to either recce the Buttermere Sailbeck course or potentially trot around Skiddaw area.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#463 Re: Fell running
May 03, 2016, 06:04:41 pm
Good luck to everyone doing the Burbage Skyline tonight, perfect spring evening for it. I'm unfortunately going to miss it again (two years on the trot now, 2017 will definitely happen though) but might try and make the Totley race tomorrow night instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stabbsy

• junky
#464 Re: Fell running
May 03, 2016, 06:29:59 pm
Saw that Stabbsy got on well with the Three Peaks at the weekend. Good work beast!

Cheers Tom! What a great day out - the conditions made it even more memorable with snow on top of all three. With a bit more knowledge of the course and better conditions/logistics, I think I could go a chunk quicker, although it might have to wait a few years for the next attempt. For anyone that hasn't done it, I'd say get this on your list for next year. Amazing atmosphere and loads of support around the course.

I was considering the Skyline, but not going to make it for obvious reasons - legs are still fairly battered after Saturday. However, I'm also off on Thursday for a run around the Calder Valley to recce leg 2 of the Calderdale Relay for next Sunday. Weather looks glorious, might even need some sun cream!

erm, sam

• forum hero
#465 Re: Fell running
May 03, 2016, 10:35:12 pm
Just got home after running my first Burbage Skyline. What a brilliant race! Nice length,lots of technical rocky running, a nice couple of hills but nothing too horrible, a brilliant decent and a super fun fast blast along the edge and down to the finish. I really enjoyed it.

dave

#466 Re: Fell running
May 03, 2016, 10:36:08 pm
That explains it, wondered why the parking situation around Fox House had gone apeshit tonight!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#467 Re: Fell running
May 03, 2016, 10:39:32 pm
I didnt get out of work in time... practised it last friday in the snow blizzard... next year i'm booking the day off to be sure i get there. Great, great run that one!

Duncan campbell

• junky
#468 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2016, 07:41:17 am
Bugger! Totally forgot that was coming up! Ah well haven't been running much lately anyway. Sounds like a great race though, gutted to have missed out!

T_B

• forum hero
#469 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2016, 09:14:32 am
Just got home after running my first Burbage Skyline. What a brilliant race! Nice length,lots of technical rocky running, a nice couple of hills but nothing too horrible, a brilliant decent and a super fun fast blast along the edge and down to the finish. I really enjoyed it.

Nice one! It was my second race and I struggled a bit. It felt as though I got stuck behind loads of folk at the start and on some of the technical bits, so lost a lot of time, but then I faded along Burbage North and just couldn't maintain a decent pace (about half a dozen people passed me here). Then I managed to sustain a reasonable pace along the main path for the last 1Km. It's not as if I had anything left at the end, but certainly food for thought in terms of tactics and where you can easily lose time trotting along/standing still. Overall though it was a cool course and I loved nailing it down off Higgar. I just find the ground across Burbage South desperate! Kind of crapping myself now for big Lakes race in less than 3 weeks :doubt:

Plattsy

• forum hero
#470 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2016, 09:38:05 am
Chaps, what a lovely evening for a fell race. Brilliant conditions.
Wished I'd started further up the field. Lost a lot of time at the start behind lots of indecisive runners going down to the stream (I think everyone feels like this T_B).
Thought I'd ran a PB only to find I hadn't when I got home and checked past results. All the plodding over the last year or so has increased my stamina loads and I now understand how to maintain a high output without going into the red but it would appear I've lost some top end speed.
Overall happy with the result and performance especially running all the course except the top of the climb to Higgar.
Results and photos can be found on the Peak District fell races FB site.
https://www.facebook.com/PeakDistrictFellRaces/

Plattsy

• forum hero
#471 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2016, 10:22:05 am
I didnt get out of work in time... practised it last friday in the snow blizzard... next year i'm booking the day off to be sure i get there. Great, great run that one!
Lots of other races to choose from at the moment so you don't have to wait until next year.
Tiger's Todger tonight.
cragx Crawl on the 14th
Totley Moor 17th
Just to name 3 coming up soon.

T_B

• forum hero
#472 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2016, 11:44:04 am
And Totley Moor starts a little later at 7.30pm...

Monolith

• forum hero
#473 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2016, 12:09:26 pm
Kind of crapping myself now for big Lakes race in less than 3 weeks :doubt:

Well done on getting stuck in to the Burbage race T_B (Tom?). Lucky you as well for having some good quality Spring evening races on your door step. Beats road hill reps!

Is the race above Buttermere-Sailbeck from memory?

T_B

• forum hero
#474 Re: Fell running
May 04, 2016, 12:14:25 pm
Kind of crapping myself now for big Lakes race in less than 3 weeks :doubt:

Well done on getting stuck in to the Burbage race T_B (Tom?). Lucky you as well for having some good quality Spring evening races on your door step. Beats road hill reps!

Is the race above Buttermere-Sailbeck from memory?

Yes, that's me and yep B-S coming up. There's another local race (Totley Moor) on the Tuesday before B-S but I think I need to make sure I'm totally fresh. Hopefully I'll be reet as long as I take it very steady!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal