UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 307486 times)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#350 Re: Fell running
January 23, 2016, 05:16:56 pm
I am far from handy as witnessed by today's run (see later) and get niggles as soon as a I do much road, so I don't. Always mix in a bit of biking, stretch half heartedly and roll with evil spikey ball thing occasionaly. I'm sure it got rid of a tweaked calf muscle more quickly using it. Running uphill and biking uphill are great crossovers, I think less so if you're after all out speed on flat or rolling terrain.

I made the start of Ashurst Beacon today, thinking I could get a sneaky low key race under my belt only to find a few club mates with the same idea. Hard work, more trail race than fell but a tough and muddy course with maybe 850' of climbing. 2 mile climb to finish! Assume mini/monolith didn't make it - only 1 bowland vest I saw.

Oh and apols for stealing your meme Tom!

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#351 Re: Fell running
January 24, 2016, 08:31:02 pm
I made the start of Ashurst Beacon today, thinking I could get a sneaky low key race under my belt only to find a few club mates with the same idea. Hard work, more trail race than fell but a tough and muddy course with maybe 850' of climbing. 2 mile climb to finish! Assume mini/monolith didn't make it - only 1 bowland vest I saw.

Glad you made it Steve. I'd heard prior that the race race was more trail than a full on outer fell race, but they are always good to get under the belt regardless. Unfortunately I've a a few niggles over the last couple of week (see above) so was a bit gutted not to make it. Parbold Hilly next up for me in a few weeks time, I'm sure I'll see some of your club vests there?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#352 Re: Fell running
January 25, 2016, 10:12:14 am

Oh and apols for stealing your meme Tom!

I was on border collie bootcamp duties this weekend. Getting the little lady ready to join me on a few long mountain reccees. Sounds like it was a pleasant day out if not as 'intense' as some of us might have liked.

Steal away on the meme Steve!

I've registered for Black Combe and am going to commit to the Anniversary Waltz, Fairfield, Langdale and Wasdale. Endless hill reps and descents for the next two months.

Monolith

• forum hero
#353 Re: Fell running
January 27, 2016, 11:37:48 am
I should have this Sunday free for a day out. Does anybody have any plans? I plan to recce the Black Combe course as soon as conditions are beneficial to glean anything.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#354 Re: Fell running
January 27, 2016, 12:48:13 pm
Tigger Tor on Sunday for me. First proper race for about a year. A couple of route changes mean I can't compare performance to previous efforts at this event though I'll be looking for stronger efforts on the hills i.e. no walking.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#355 Re: Fell running
January 27, 2016, 07:01:41 pm

Tigger Tor on Sunday for me. First proper race for about a year. A couple of route changes mean I can't compare performance to previous efforts at this event though I'll be looking for stronger efforts on the hills i.e. no walking.
still contemplating putting in for it as not sure it's the best race preparation for HPM which requires going a fair bit slower for a whole lot longer. Might do it anyway but entries close tomorrow I think so need to make my mind up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#356 Re: Fell running
January 28, 2016, 03:39:30 pm
Northern XC Champs for me this Sat - what was I thinking - Sun, I'll be licking my wounds and drinking heavily. Went out on the hill this morning, pretty much as slow as ever (I blame the mud). Something better change. On the plus side just had the all clear on some cardiac tests, so one less excuse I guess and haven't really been training much for a while, so there must be some improvements to be had.

Stabbsy

• junky
#357 Re: Fell running
January 28, 2016, 06:22:34 pm
Northern XC for me as well - assuming the slight hip niggle I have is OK when I do a light session tomorrow. I've got a couple of possible weekends lined up for a Black Combe recce - hopefully the weather will play ball.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#358 Re: Fell running
January 29, 2016, 08:20:35 am
No Black Combes for me, but I've thrown my hat into the ring earlier this week to do Up The Nab (entries via Sportsoft) and on the waiting list for Pendle 3 Peaks. Amazed the 600 limit has been met for a race in August, despite being a Champs race. Anyone get in for this?

Stabbsy

• junky
#359 Re: Fell running
January 29, 2016, 10:15:29 am
Also in Up The Nab  - should have a bit of local support as my sister lives just below the Nab. Also got into Pendle - the relays were so good last year and wanted a chance to run some of those hills again.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#360 Re: Fell running
January 29, 2016, 11:31:05 am
Remind of your club Stabbsy - Staffs Moorlands and you have a beard? Helsby green vest here, also bearded. Say hello when you lap me :)

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#361 Re: Fell running
January 29, 2016, 12:34:26 pm
Remind of your club Stabbsy - Staffs Moorlands and you have a beard? Helsby green vest here, also bearded. Say hello when you lap me :)

I think the chap your describing here is my good self  ;D

Stabbsy runs for Knavesmire Harriers and will be the one doing any lapping!  ;)

Stabbsy

• junky
#362 Re: Fell running
January 29, 2016, 04:24:20 pm

I think the chap your describing here is my good self  ;D

Stabbsy runs for Knavesmire Harriers and will be the one doing any lapping!  ;)

No beard for me and the yellow/black quarters of Knavesmire (as mini correctly pointed out). There will be about 15 of us there - quite a good turnout for us. I'll keep an eye out...

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#363 Re: Fell running
February 01, 2016, 01:28:20 pm

still contemplating putting in for it as not sure it's the best race preparation for HPM which requires going a fair bit slower for a whole lot longer. Might do it anyway but entries close tomorrow I think so need to make my mind up soon.

Didn't end up doing Tigger Tor, how was it Plattsy? I ended up doing a 3 hour 45 min run from home up Win Hill, then Lose Hill, then along just below the ridge (too windy and cold on top) in to Castleton and back along the river. Was really tough going, constant rain, deep mud and had a rucksack with full HPM kit in it (sleeping bag, shelter, food, water, spare jacket, first aid kit and torch). Still, figured that being miserable for just short of 4 hours is what I needed to mentally prepare myself for doing the same at night for about 12 hours.

Monolith

• forum hero
#364 Re: Fell running
February 02, 2016, 12:44:43 pm
Just a shoutout for the 'Trail and Mountain Running' book by Sarah Rowell and Wendy Dodds. I picked it up the other week and it's a really nice set out book on the subject. The only thing in it I've potentially found fault with so far pertains to tick advice; it's mentioned that petroleum jelly (and something else) is a "failsafe method" other than using tweezers. Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard this is absolutely not good advice!?

Also, living in Liverpool, we're about one hour from a great range of hills and mountains without having any on our doorstep. Would anybody have a recommendation for a sample week's training plan that I could take a look at in the run up to the Black Combe race on 12th March? It'd be nice to get an optimal outcome for a suburbanite on the day. I can get a day out in the hills of a weekend and access to a 100ft ascent road over about 400m during the week.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#365 Re: Fell running
February 02, 2016, 08:32:57 pm
Just a shoutout for the 'Trail and Mountain Running' book by Sarah Rowell and Wendy Dodds. I picked it up the other week and it's a really nice set out book on the subject. The only thing in it I've potentially found fault with so far pertains to tick advice; it's mentioned that petroleum jelly (and something else) is a "failsafe method" other than using tweezers. Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard this is absolutely not good advice!?

Firstly, neither of the above are suitable ways of removing ticks. Smothering them with petroleum jelly basically suffocates them, meaning they can vomit back into your blood stream with obvious infection issues. Tweezers can leave the head behind (they clamp on pretty damned hard!!) and likewise get infected. I have these O'Tom Tick Removers which I've found pretty fool proof on my pooch. For the price of a pint on the usual channels you can't go wrong.

As for training, I don't have any real plans as such, and I'm sure others will be along soon enough. But, I typically tend to do one quality session a week on say a Tuesday, either hill reps on the hill you mentioned, or do a tempo run along canals / park / road as best suits your local. Other mid week runs are just getting out and running as suits your availability, easy or a little faster if you feel like it on a say a Thursday. Add onto that your long weekend fun runs in for the enjoyment of it all. Black Coombe's at the end of March (?) so maybe too short to get a realistic scheduled plan together.

As for long term training plans, I've just browsed over this training plan by Aurthur Lydiard what my physio mentioned 'tuther week. Some interesting ideas in there, but generally based on a good solid foundation of 16 weeks of just running before building up to any interval work. Apparently good if you want to peak for a few weeks rather than for short period (and checking some of the local strong runners on Strava they seem to following a similar pattern with some strong results). In essence, get out there and run!

Hope that helps more than confuses!

wintermute

• menacing presence
#366 Re: Fell running
February 03, 2016, 07:16:07 am
Tom, I'm in no way qualified to offer any advice, but nonetheless... I wouldn't worry too much about a regimented training plan. I reckon just getting out running as much as you can would be the best thing to do. In a given week, try and do a long slow run, a sustained effort, and a short fast one or some intervals (Park runs are ideal). Any other runs just see how you feel and run accordingly. Obviously the more hills you can get in the better, but that might not be easily achieved if there's none nearby!

For Black Combe specifically, I'd try and do a few races this month as good way to get some hill and speed work in; Bleasdale Circle, Flower Scar or High Cup Nick all look like good contenders. I'm sure there are more in Yorkshire/Peak direction but I haven't looked.

Also, try and get a lot of downhill effort in before BC. Most people are shockingly bad uphill but on that race particularly, it looks like the long, fast run in where a lot of overtaking will happen!

Monolith

• forum hero
#367 Re: Fell running
February 03, 2016, 12:04:07 pm

Firstly, neither of the above are suitable ways of removing ticks. Smothering them with petroleum jelly basically suffocates them, meaning they can vomit back into your blood stream with obvious infection issues. Tweezers can leave the head behind

Apologies mini, I didn't write my point very well; the book was suggesting tweezers. I'm fairly well genned up on the tick scene these days and have about 5 of those tick twisters and a flatpack of antiseptic wipes in my car at all times. I was pretty surprised this was written in the book given that I read Wendy is an experienced medic. Not to pour scorn on her training points though which are reading very well so far.

Thanks both for your thoughts on the training front. I've decided to follow one of the ones in the book with a few modifications to suit my lifestyle. It feels nice to have some sort of structure and I definitely thrive best working in this way.

I'm certainly not going to place anywhere credible at BC but simply looking to enjoy the day out. Hope to see some of you soon.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#368 Re: Fell running
February 10, 2016, 01:46:44 pm

Didn't end up doing Tigger Tor, how was it Plattsy? I ended up doing a 3 hour 45 min run from home up Win Hill, then Lose Hill, then along just below the ridge (too windy and cold on top) in to Castleton and back along the river. Was really tough going, constant rain, deep mud and had a rucksack with full HPM kit in it (sleeping bag, shelter, food, water, spare jacket, first aid kit and torch). Still, figured that being miserable for just short of 4 hours is what I needed to mentally prepare myself for doing the same at night for about 12 hours.
It was grim.
I thoroughly enjoyed it in a type 2 fun sort of way.
Sounds like your training is going well. Just keep picking horribly grim days for a long run and the HPM will be a doddle.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#369 Re: Fell running
February 11, 2016, 08:16:42 pm
This isn't really a fell running question, but I think it's close enough and if it isn't then the powers that be can do that thread split thing. Anyways ...

The swine at Inov8 appear to have stopped making the Flyroc 310, my favourite piece of mountain footwear ever that fits my feet absolutely perfectly. Twunts.

What's the same shape? Doesn't have to be from Inov8, since they clearly can't be relied upon.

Low cut sides of the heel are important as I have very prominent heel bones and many trail shoes I've tried, including some Inov8's (but not the Flyroc) press painfully here. Iirc I couldn't wear the Roclites for that reason.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#370 Re: Fell running
February 11, 2016, 08:20:33 pm

It was grim.
I thoroughly enjoyed it in a type 2 fun sort of way.
Sounds like your training is going well. Just keep picking horribly grim days for a long run and the HPM will be a doddle.
thanks Plattsy, did another 4 hours up on Derwent Edge with the team on Tuesday, about 16 miles in the wind and light snow. Perfect training as you say!

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#371 Re: Fell running
February 25, 2016, 10:12:28 pm
Spotted THIS on the iPlayer tonight. An hour long programme, The Adventure Show, covering the Jedburgh Three Peaks Ultra Marathon. Worth checking out for some coverage of last years Glen Coe Skyrace and some psychology that can help on longer (or indeed shorter) runs.

Monolith

• forum hero
#372 Re: Fell running
March 09, 2016, 03:26:19 pm
Who's in for Black Combe on Saturday then? I'm camping over on Friday night with a friend at Silecroft and we'll likely grab a pint nearby if anybody cared to join us.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#373 Fell running
March 09, 2016, 07:51:27 pm
Have a good race Mono, won't be there myself this weekend as have to be in Sheffield. In a big of a limbo with regards races at the moment, High Peak Marathon was cancelled with about 8 hours notice due to the snow at the weekend. Real shame for the race organisers and all those who'd built up to the day. So, wondering what to do with my slow but very reasonable endurance running I've built up. Not much use for the half marathon I've got in about five weeks.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#374 Re: Fell running
March 09, 2016, 10:21:31 pm
Keep it ticking over and do the Fellsman in April. I've done both several times, and the fellsman's top draw ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal