UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 304636 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#75 Re: Fell running
September 01, 2014, 02:41:32 pm
Well, entry gone in this morning so let's see if I'm accepted. Gulp.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#76 Re: Fell running
September 01, 2014, 03:07:10 pm
UTLD 100?  :bow:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#77 Re: Fell running
September 01, 2014, 03:08:25 pm
Yeah. You only live once.

chris20

• menacing presence
#78 Re: Fell running
September 01, 2014, 03:40:33 pm

Nice one.  I went to enter at lunch time to find that it was already full, it had only been open for 3 hours!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#79 Re: Fell running
September 01, 2014, 03:51:45 pm
I was sat online at 8:30.

kelvin

• forum hero
#80 Re: Fell running
September 01, 2014, 03:56:57 pm

You only die once too.

I almost never recovered from 69 miles in one go and can't even contemplate how anyone can breeze through a 100 miles. Best of luck.

:)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#81 Re: Fell running
September 01, 2014, 03:57:10 pm
suspected broken toe, another lady a badly sprained ankle and one guy with barely any skin left on either knee

Sounds far far too dangerous for my liking.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#82 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 06:56:21 am
UTLD 100?  :bow:

Full respect  :bow: :bow:

Next year I'll be looking at doing some of the longer 'L' class races, but anything >30 miles and I'm asking why??

All the best to ya. At least you've got 40 hours to complete it, no problem eh??  :boxing:

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#83 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 07:06:40 am
Not sure about that!

chris20

• menacing presence
#84 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 09:03:31 am
Well, I ticked Longshaw on Saturday, and despite Friday nights beer and wine had a surprisingly good run for me!

I must say however, I have never seen a St John's Ambulance so busy after a race. A friend who I car shared with has a suspected broken toe, another lady a badly sprained ankle and one guy with barely any skin left on either knee - and that's just whilst I was talking to my fellow runner. More were waiting for seats later on!! Luckily my tumble was injury free bare a couple of very tenderised thigh.

Wet conditions and narrow 'sheep trails' covered by long bracken made it a footfall lottery - the joys of fell running!

Results are up http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/results.php?id=2525

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#85 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 12:56:36 pm

All told, pretty chuffed with 26/162. Did you run in the end Chris?

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#86 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 01:01:49 pm

that's a great position mini, there are some really strong runners after you that I know so I would be overjoyed with both that place and time. I didn't end up running as went to the beach instead as needed to get my eye in ahead of a surfing week next week. Looking at the other results and runners I would have been lucky to finish top 50 though.

chris20

• menacing presence
#87 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 01:06:53 pm

I was 23rd so just in front.  The bit down from winyards nick was my worse bit, I'm really bad at going down hill and I often lose places.  Exterminator on Sunday!

Plattsy

• forum hero
#88 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 01:27:02 pm
Good running guys. Perfect conditions. Nice and cool.

Came in 46th. Well chuffed with that and about 2minutes quicker than last year.

Stabbsy

• junky
#89 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 01:35:55 pm
Anyone know if the Allen Williams in 19th is the one that wrote the original Peak Bouldering guide?

There seems to be a few handy fell runners that are/were also good climbers - I was thinking of Paul Cornforth from the Lakes who's usually well up there in the English championship races, but there's a few other Lakes names that crop up in the results.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#90 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 01:45:28 pm
Anyone know if the Allen Williams in 19th is the one that wrote the original Peak Bouldering guide?

There seems to be a few handy fell runners that are/were also good climbers - I was thinking of Paul Cornforth from the Lakes who's usually well up there in the English championship races, but there's a few other Lakes names that crop up in the results.
Just behind mini at Longshaw was Tony Whitehouse who at 60 isn't shabby at either running or climbing.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#91 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 02:08:37 pm

Just behind mini at Longshaw was Tony Whitehouse who at 60 isn't shabby at either running or climbing.
Not sure if its the same Mick Fowler too in at 134th?

Unfortunately I count myself now as neither a handy fell runner or was/is ever any good at climbing...

Brannock

• regular
#92 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 03:28:54 pm

Not sure if its the same Mick Fowler too in at 134th?

Pretty sure it was the same, saw him afterwards.

I was 23rd so just in front.  The bit down from winyards nick was my worse bit, I'm really bad at going down hill and I often lose places.  Exterminator on Sunday!

24th  :wave:
Started to fast, burnt out in the second half, made up a few places at the end. Good luck in the Exterminator.

Turboman

• addict
#93 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 04:25:20 pm
I was feeling pretty pleased with 72nd until I saw this thread!
Still it was my second ever race.  Out of interest how often do you guys run/train?
I'm a once a week plodder at the moment but after a couple of fell races I'm getting the bug.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#94 Re: Fell running
September 02, 2014, 07:09:51 pm

It was. I chatted to him at the registration table before the race having not seen him in years. I'm amazed how many climbers I've bumped into this year at races that I haven't seen for so long. Still waiting to share a starting line with Mr Fawcett!

Chris20 and Brannock - good effort both, by my reckoning both of you passed me after the final road crossing! I was peggered at that point and had little left for the wee rise up the field to the finish.

Chris20, I'm just beginning to get more confidence on the down hills. I've found doing sets of 800m on a very slight down hill road section has worked on building leg turnover speed and definitely seems to be helping my down hill speed.

Turboman
- I'm typically doing three quality sessions a week, occasionally four, with at least one of these have been a race. I am quite psyched at the moment, but I wouldn't want to be doing much more than this for fear of injury (but that's just me). Plenty of dog walks in between seems to help recovery and keeping the legs moving and not stiffening up. I've found the races quite addictive, well done on 72nd for your second race ever, its a tricky course. Build up gently and enjoy.

Shelf Moor on Sunday y'all (Exterminators exempting)?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#95 Re: Fell running
September 03, 2014, 09:35:41 am
Good effort there folks!

If I may ask, for carrying the full approved FRA kit, is anybody aware if I'm likely to get it all in a 3l waist pouch such as the ones produced by OMM and Innov8? I saw the 6l OMM one with a bottle holder but like to travel as light as possible.

On the hydration front, is it possible to buy gels that fulfil both a carb/electrolyte function as well as hydrating one? I was thinking a few Capri Suns might pack away well into a small bumbag but I don't know. Perhaps taking a bottle is necessary/desirable for races over 12 miles?

The OMM cypher smock arrived this week which at a reduced price of 65 fuck alls I was pretty pleased with. Good to have in the sack for bouldering walk-ins too.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#96 Re: Fell running
September 03, 2014, 10:23:47 am
Practice running/training with the gels. They don't agree with everyone and trying them out for the first time in a race could be disastrous. They no longer agree with me. I'll be running Langdale packing toasted bagels with marmalade and some snickers.

Some gels need water for consumption. Some don't. Some have caffeine. Some don't. They all taste rubbish.

I stick to normal food these days.

Hydration is horses for courses too. I'll be running Langdale with a ruck sack and hydration pack with 2 litres of Lucozade Sport. I'll finish it all too. Folk are surprised by this but I sweat a lot and will be cramping a little by the end.

I guess going for a 3/4 hour run on the fells would help you understand your hydration needs.

chris20

• menacing presence
#97 Re: Fell running
September 03, 2014, 10:29:23 am
Good effort there folks!

If I may ask, for carrying the full approved FRA kit, is anybody aware if I'm likely to get it all in a 3l waist pouch such as the ones produced by OMM and Innov8? I saw the 6l OMM one with a bottle holder but like to travel as light as possible.

On the hydration front, is it possible to buy gels that fulfil both a carb/electrolyte function as well as hydrating one? I was thinking a few Capri Suns might pack away well into a small bumbag but I don't know. Perhaps taking a bottle is necessary/desirable for races over 12 miles?

The OMM cypher smock arrived this week which at a reduced price of 65 fuck alls I was pretty pleased with. Good to have in the sack for bouldering walk-ins too.

I've got one of these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/talon-4-p178587 I bought it for an ultra where I wanted 2 bottles and also it was a bargain at £19, although since running with it I've found there's too much movement when both bottles are full so I normally half fill each one.  There is enough room to fit all my kit in.  A lot of people run with the 3l packs so must be able to fit stuff in.  Pete bland also do there own which I think is cheaper http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/products/pete-bland-bumbag.htm

Drink wise I've been using high5 4:1 recently as they came in a bundle with gels and I really liked them http://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-energysource-41-energygel-bundle-deal/ also gel wise I really like the Cliff shot bloks as they are easy to get down, taste good and some have caffeine in them but they are expensive

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#98 Re: Fell running
September 03, 2014, 10:40:08 am
Agree with chris20, you should be able to fit pretty much everything in there. bear in mind too that quite often you may be wearing some of the kit anyway (in winter gloves and a hat), plus if you don't mind running in the smock then you can stash things in pocket as well.

As for hydration, its quite a personal thing; I tend to stick to water and Clif shots or blocks, plus wine gums if needed. I'd suggest trying to keep hydrated on just gels though without significant water intake as well will probably not work though you may be able to get away with it for an hour to two hour runs maximum. The other benefit of sticking to water is that on longer and more remote races its pretty easy to supplement a small personal water supply with top ups from streams.

Stabbsy

• junky
#99 Re: Fell running
September 03, 2014, 10:48:06 am
I think you can fit everything in the 3L, but I have the 6L OMM one and use the compression straps. With full kit in it's not full, but will fit an extra top/legs for when I'm on training runs. Having a few extra easily accessible pockets in the 6L is also quite useful - stuffing gloves/hat in when you overheat on the climbs, but want them straight away in a cold wind on the tops.

I rarely bother with the water bottle in races, but again it's useful on training runs. That said, most of my races have in the short/medium categories with the occasional long. Not sure if you can buy them separately, but a mate of mine has a couple of "soft" water bottles/pouches that came with a hydration pack that I'm guessing was designed for ultras - I reckon one of them might be the way forward for me in long races.

Energy gels will not provide hydration benefits! Most gel manufacturers will say that you shouldn't use without additional water. Even if you can take them without water, they aren't going to keep you hydrated when running. I tend to use High5 4:1 (summer fruits or citrus are both quite pleasant) as a drink both before and after and water (if anything) during. If I use gels, then SIS orange ones without caffeine - check out how you react to gels before the race, I know of people who've had bad reactions to different ones. In my case, the caffeine ones make me need the loo, not what you want halfway through a race.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal