UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 306799 times)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#50 Re: Fell running
August 09, 2014, 06:55:40 pm
Anyone else looking to enter the UTLD 100/ 50 next year? How tight are TES on the 100 entries?
Would love to be able to but too far for me. Probably set my sights on the Intro Ultra in the Peak next year to get myself used to going for that sort of distance and then look to step up if I think its manageable, as I've always been a runner who prefers shorter race (and by that I mean less than marathon distance).

Big respect though GCW if you go for it and get in :bow:

psychomansam

• forum hero
#51 Re: Fell running
August 09, 2014, 07:15:51 pm
Anyone else looking to enter the UTLD 100/ 50 next year? How tight are TES on the 100 entries?

Just completed my first ultra and hoping I might get up to a 50 or 60 next year. Does look pretty good.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#52 Re: Fell running
August 09, 2014, 08:49:15 pm
50 and a 66 mile this year. Want a go at the 100 in 2015. I'll give it a crack.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#53 Re: Fell running
August 09, 2014, 09:02:58 pm
Massive respect then. Can't imagine what it is like to run that far.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#54 Re: Fell running
August 09, 2014, 09:05:29 pm

Nice one. Hopefully I'm just a year behind you! If the ball keeps rolling I'd like to do a ~100m and the BGR in 2016. We shall see.

What were your 50 and 66?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#55 Re: Fell running
August 09, 2014, 10:28:43 pm
UTLD 50 and Three Rings of Shap. Both quite slow due to extraneous issues, hence the concern. Pretty sure I can do the 100 in the time.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#56 Re: Fell running
August 09, 2014, 10:35:43 pm

Just completed my first ultra and hoping I might get up to a 50 or 60 next year. Does look pretty good.

Full Tour of Bradwell?? Does look a good circuit of that's what you've just ticked. Might be tempted by the Half tour next year before taking on the long version.

Well done if so, good day for it.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#57 Re: Fell running
August 10, 2014, 08:03:09 am

Full Tour of Bradwell?? Does look a good circuit of that's what you've just ticked. Might be tempted by the Half tour next year before taking on the long version.

Well done if so, good day for it.

That's the one. Pretty good route. Was a good day. If anything I'd have wanted it cooler. Had Somme fairly impressive salt deposits on my clothes by the end.

chris20

• menacing presence
#58 Re: Fell running
August 10, 2014, 12:20:44 pm

I tempted by the 100, not sure if it will be next year or the year after.  I did the Ultra tour of the peak district this year and had a great time, I'm hoping that if I can do 60 it's just a matter of keep on moving.  I'm planning on doing the UTPD again next year to improve my time, I think it's being moved to August next year instead of June

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#59 Re: Fell running
August 25, 2014, 08:40:55 pm
You could put yourself down for the Totley Exterminator in about a months time,

http://www.totleyac.org.uk/2014Series/exterminator.htm
[/quote]

Even though I can't do the race I decided to run the second half today, I say second half but I did it all from the stepping stones so basically about 80% of it. Not sure if you or the organisers are aware but there are works in the plantation by Higgar and the path across the valley is closed.  No problem as you can just nip up the Green Drive and onto Stanage via Apparent North, but could it be a problem come race day for the checkpoint at the Higgar stile?

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#60 Re: Fell running
August 26, 2014, 09:32:22 pm
The weeks certainly feel like they're passing as if they were minutes!

Went up Snowdon on the weekend and ran as much downwards as was possible (obvious bank holiday queues). I'm really not sure if the horseshoe is going to be in the locker but I'm a stubborn idiot that would sooner bleed than fail.

On the equipment front, I've been offered a brand new OMM Cypher smock for a reasonable price and just wondered if anybody had any beta on sizing? I'm 6ft 2" with about a 40" chest. I hear they're 'athletically cut' but don't know whether a medium is too big or small since I have the option of buying either a medium or large one.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#61 Re: Fell running
August 26, 2014, 09:57:16 pm
The weeks certainly feel like they're passing as if they were minutes!

Went up Snowdon on the weekend and ran as much downwards as was possible (obvious bank holiday queues). I'm really not sure if the horseshoe is going to be in the locker but I'm a stubborn idiot that would sooner bleed than fail.

On the equipment front, I've been offered a brand new OMM Cypher smock for a reasonable price and just wondered if anybody had any beta on sizing? I'm 6ft 2" with about a 40" chest. I hear they're 'athletically cut' but don't know whether a medium is too big or small since I have the option of buying either a medium or large one.

Not a clue, but if it needs saying: the safe bet is the large.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#62 Re: Fell running
August 27, 2014, 10:57:49 am
based on your height alone I would be inclined to go for a large as OMM/Montane and the like do tend to go for slim cut; I am a medium in their range but only just and I am only 5ft9 and 38 chest. A quick search found me this http://www.outdoorgb.com/OMM_Size_Chart/ which tends to also suggest a large is best

Monolith

• forum hero
#63 Re: Fell running
August 27, 2014, 12:33:19 pm
Thanks chaps, that's perfect. I'm fairly long-bodied so looking like the large is a banker.

Stabbsy

• junky
#64 Re: Fell running
August 27, 2014, 02:38:58 pm
Any of you Peak types doing the Shelf Moor race from Glossop next weekend (Sunday 7th, I think)? I'm tempted to put in an appearance and combine it with a family visit.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#65 Re: Fell running
August 27, 2014, 08:41:54 pm
That's the same day as the Exterminator which has been discussed above, various folk will be missing it, running it, marshalling or running the cake stall

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#66 Re: Fell running
August 27, 2014, 09:09:32 pm
Yep that clashes with the Totley Exterminator and still expect to be marshalling in some capacity so won't make it. Plan on doing the Longshaw sheep dog fell race this Saturday morning though, a nice five mile loop round Burbage valley by the looks of it.

chris20

• menacing presence
#67 Re: Fell running
August 27, 2014, 10:47:11 pm
Yep that clashes with the Totley Exterminator and still expect to be marshalling in some capacity so won't make it. Plan on doing the Longshaw sheep dog fell race this Saturday morning though, a nice five mile loop round Burbage valley by the looks of it.

I should be doing the Longshaw race to, as long as I can stay off the wine Friday night.  It was a good race last year

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#68 Re: Fell running
August 28, 2014, 03:38:05 pm
Looks like you're getting some good advice so I'll just add that if you fancy the trip over the Runcorn Bridge (saw your Straight Outa Cronton sig) you'd be welcome for a run on the hills with our lot on a Wednesday night - I'm with Helsby. Hill runs each week till the light goes then it thins out a bit and people switch to road or don the headtorches.

We just had a great race last week on Frodsham Hill, the Webster Wobbler http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/helsby-running-clubs-tribute-former-7682944

Those little hills definitely punch above their weight, especially if you string em together into a Hills of Hell session (thanks Dave Douglas). Keep an eye on http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/ or https://twitter.com/runhelsby if you'll pardon the spam.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#69 Re: Fell running
August 29, 2014, 06:35:57 am
I'll be making an appearance at both Longshaw on Saturday and Shelf Moor next weekend - look out for a yellow with a green chest stripe Staffs' Moorland vest  :wave:

Need to get some short race experience in ready for the British Fell Relays later on in October. Are any of you guys in clubs doing that event? Looks like a good day out.

Monolith

• forum hero
#70 Re: Fell running
August 29, 2014, 09:37:27 am
Looks like you're getting some good advice so I'll just add that if you fancy the trip over the Runcorn Bridge (saw your Straight Outa Cronton sig) you'd be welcome for a run on the hills with our lot on a Wednesday night - I'm with Helsby. Hill runs each week till the light goes then it thins out a bit and people switch to road or don the headtorches.

We just had a great race last week on Frodsham Hill, the Webster Wobbler http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/news/chester-cheshire-news/helsby-running-clubs-tribute-former-7682944

Those little hills definitely punch above their weight, especially if you string em together into a Hills of Hell session (thanks Dave Douglas). Keep an eye on http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/ or https://twitter.com/runhelsby if you'll pardon the spam.

Steve that's brilliant thank you. I'll absolutely head along one evening soon and look forward to meeting you. I know Dave D too and what a running beast he is!!

Stabbsy

• junky
#71 Re: Fell running
August 29, 2014, 10:04:47 am
I'll be making an appearance at both Longshaw on Saturday and Shelf Moor next weekend - look out for a yellow with a green chest stripe Staffs' Moorland vest  :wave:

Need to get some short race experience in ready for the British Fell Relays later on in October. Are any of you guys in clubs doing that event? Looks like a good day out.

I'll look out for you at Shelf Moor - I'll be in the yellow and black squares of York Knavesmire.

We've got a couple of teams heading to the Fell Relays - first time our club has entered it that I'm aware of, they were mostly road runners until recently. I'm on the nav leg for the first team, so need to head up for a recce of the area in the next few weeks. Loads of relay events at the minute, as we've got the Northern road relays in a few weeks closely followed by the Nationals (if we qualify!).

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#72 Re: Fell running
August 29, 2014, 11:12:51 am

May be at Shelf Moor and down for the Relays in October. The relays are an awesome event - a real friendly gathering of the best in the country ...and the rest of us. I've always done the nav leg (which isn't generally that hard [uh oh, hubris]) but might get bumped this year as we've had a few faster people join. Three teams this year so still deciding on the mix. Just been promoted to V50 so we may have enough for an old farts team. We've had some cracking days since my first one on the Clwyds in 2008.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#73 Re: Fell running
August 29, 2014, 11:22:50 am
Steve that's brilliant thank you. I'll absolutely head along one evening soon and look forward to meeting you. I know Dave D too and what a running beast he is!!

Cool, I'll be the tired looking fella front of mid pack with sideys. Dave runs with Delamere Spartans, another excellent group who'd be happy to have you along. A few of them and our lot having a jog round Anglesey this weekend, which is clearly bonkers http://www.ringofire.co.uk/

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#74 Re: Fell running
September 01, 2014, 12:32:11 pm
Well, I ticked Longshaw on Saturday, and despite Friday nights beer and wine had a surprisingly good run for me!

I must say however, I have never seen a St John's Ambulance so busy after a race. A friend who I car shared with has a suspected broken toe, another lady a badly sprained ankle and one guy with barely any skin left on either knee - and that's just whilst I was talking to my fellow runner. More were waiting for seats later on!! Luckily my tumble was injury free bare a couple of very tenderised thigh.

Wet conditions and narrow 'sheep trails' covered by long bracken made it a footfall lottery - the joys of fell running!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal