UKBouldering.com

Fell running (Read 306902 times)

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#1000 Re: Fell running
February 07, 2018, 12:19:38 pm
That much is true Tom! I'm just unsure how to get all of the necessary training in to 3.5 months. Hopefully the next physio session on the 21st can provide some answers. Also carried over my place for the Teenager with Altitude race if any of you are in for that or The Waltz?

T_B

• forum hero
#1001 Re: Fell running
February 07, 2018, 02:26:39 pm
Well at least that's something tough before the Jura. No, none of us entered TWA. I figured I'd rather 'race' than simply try and 'finish', which would be the case with TWA. Also, I want to focus more on my running form and speed over the next couple of months, rather than lots of Kinder reps. Good luck with the comeback. Just seen this today which may be worth a read: https://trailrunnermag.com/training/injuries-and-treatment/returning-running-injury.html

Monolith

• forum hero
#1002 Re: Fell running
February 07, 2018, 02:29:43 pm
That's a good point to be fair Tom. You can bust your lungs on the Waltz and perform well but the extra mileage and climbing of the TWA makes for a slightly less racy affair (for me this year anyway). Looking forward to seeing everybody's season unfurl here  :)

Monolith

• forum hero
#1003 Re: Fell running
March 07, 2018, 01:05:56 pm
Is anybody aware of anything similar to the Adidas Bostons but at a lower price point? Need to start upping mileage and doing that in the Adios is probably a recipe for disaster.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1004 Re: Fell running
March 07, 2018, 01:27:15 pm
A pair of road running trainers? Bostons seem to be about £60, not sure you can get decent trainers for much less? Decathlon?

Monolith

• forum hero
#1005 Re: Fell running
March 07, 2018, 01:34:26 pm
60 rips is sadly in micro gent or macro gent sizes as far as I can see. Thinking the Brooks Ravenna 7s will do the job reduced to 47 rips with a loyalty discount...

https://www.startfitness.co.uk/brooks-ravenna-7-mens-running-shoes-silver-110217-1d116.html

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1006 Re: Fell running
March 07, 2018, 02:01:35 pm
If the shoe fits....

No experience of that specific model, but I 2 pairs of brooks trainers and they are decent quality.

Monolith

• forum hero
#1007 Re: Fell running
March 07, 2018, 04:43:04 pm
Good shout, cheers Chris.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1008 Re: Fell running
March 07, 2018, 04:54:30 pm
While on the subject...

https://www.run4it.com/feetures-elite-merino-light-cushion-quarter-running-sock

got a pair of these socks and love them, stood me well without blisters or even cold feet or discomfort after wearing them soaking wet and muddy for about 6 hours, but now have a hole in one and can't find them anymore in L without paying silly prices, or risking getting them on fleabay.

Can anyone recommend any good socks that aren't horrifically expensive? Anyone use the ultralight (as opposed to the light that i have) and are they any good?

T_B

• forum hero
#1009 Re: Fell running
March 07, 2018, 08:53:13 pm
My road shoes are Brooks Ghost. I’ve done 850km in them and they still feel good. Very cushioned but not too sponge-bob-square-pants. I’ll just get another pair as they’re so incredibly comfortable and have worn well. I’ve tried some other road shoes recently and they all feel different. Personally I’d be pretty reluctant to buy a shoe I’ve never tried before online (though I guess you can return them).

Monolith

• forum hero
#1010 Re: Fell running
March 08, 2018, 09:44:55 am
Can anyone recommend any good socks that aren't horrifically expensive? Anyone use the ultralight (as opposed to the light that i have) and are they any good?

I've only ever worn the Inov8 merino mid length socks. After taking an absolute battering over the past 3 years or so they're still in one piece (mildly shrunken from cavalier approach to washing and drying). I'm going to go down the synthetic path once these expire but you should still be able to find some past models for cheap on the net.

My road shoes are Brooks Ghost. I’ve done 850km in them and they still feel good. Very cushioned but not too sponge-bob-square-pants. I’ll just get another pair as they’re so incredibly comfortable and have worn well. I’ve tried some other road shoes recently and they all feel different. Personally I’d be pretty reluctant to buy a shoe I’ve never tried before online (though I guess you can return them).

High praise indeed Tom! Aye, I'm reluctant too but might be worth a stab. Going to try to keep as much of my running to grass and off road where possible from now on.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1011 Re: Fell running
March 08, 2018, 12:55:37 pm
T_B just reminded me, I've got Ghost 9 s too. Bling red, be seen or be flattened.

ajh

#1012 Re: Fell running
March 10, 2018, 11:53:57 am

I don't know how you define horrifically expensive but the Hangar 18 Performance Socks are by far the nicest running socks I have ever worn - https://www.h18orr.com/products/h18-orr-sock

The large ones have been sold out for a while in the normal styles but you can still get knee-high ones if you don't mind looking like a triathlete.

Brannock

• regular
#1013 Re: Fell running
April 10, 2018, 02:04:41 pm
Entries have opened for the Burbage skyline, pre-entry only this year (wtf).

Race is 7.30pm, 8th of May.

Mr_Cus

• player
#1014 Re: Fell running
April 10, 2018, 02:26:43 pm
Entries have opened for the Burbage skyline, pre-entry only this year (wtf).

Race is 7.30pm, 8th of May.

Cheers for the heads up. Online only though!? That means I'm going to need to plan ahead to make sure I am actually free that evening. Annoying!

T_B

• forum hero
#1015 Re: Fell running
April 10, 2018, 03:06:19 pm
I don't think they normally get 400 runners (the entry limit), and as entries close Sunday 6th I suppose you don't have to be that organised. £7 though!

Stabbsy

• junky
#1016 Re: Fell running
April 10, 2018, 03:25:03 pm
Could the new route be any more contrived? I'll probably go and watch this year as I'm racing the Sunday after. Maybe the Carl Wark bog could provide some amusing moments?

Anyone else doing Kinder Downfall? I'm going to recce on Sunday.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1017 Re: Fell running
April 10, 2018, 03:35:58 pm

Yep, but in bad shape currently. Will stuggle round in 1hr 40 odd I imagine.

T_B

• forum hero
#1018 Re: Fell running
April 10, 2018, 03:40:20 pm
I didn't want to sound negative n all but yeah, it's basically 2/3rds of the burb circuit with some random stuff at the end including the bog.

I'm in the Lakes that weekend for the Anniversary Waltz + climbing, so no Kinder Downfall. Really hoping for some nice weather and pacing... there's a lot of running on the Waltz.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#1019 Re: Fell running
April 10, 2018, 04:23:33 pm
Great little run in the Lakes midweek on the Grisedale Grind. Weather closed in and snowing from teatime so they shortened the route, took as around the forest a bit and then only halfway up the regular ridge route. One of the harder 2 and a bit miles I've done. Result not flattering - only the fitter end of the field seemed to turn up. Don't think I've ever raced proper winter conditions. Brill.

Stabbsy

• junky
#1020 Re: Fell running
April 10, 2018, 04:39:42 pm

Yep, but in bad shape currently. Will stuggle round in 1hr 40 odd I imagine.
If you see a couple of Totley vests (green with a white stripe), it's probably me and the missus so come and say hello.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1021 Re: Fell running
April 10, 2018, 04:51:33 pm
If you see a couple of Totley vests (green with a white stripe), it's probably me and the missus so come and say hello.

I will do, I shall be stretching my Chorlton Runners Vest (black and yellow) to it's limit........

Monolith

• forum hero
#1022 Re: Fell running
April 13, 2018, 01:31:31 pm
Great little run in the Lakes midweek on the Grisedale Grind. Weather closed in and snowing from teatime so they shortened the route, took as around the forest a bit and then only halfway up the regular ridge route. One of the harder 2 and a bit miles I've done. Result not flattering - only the fitter end of the field seemed to turn up. Don't think I've ever raced proper winter conditions. Brill.

Good work Steve. Always looks a nice start to the season this one but yet to venture over for it.

Stevie

• regular
#1023 Re: Fell running
April 13, 2018, 02:14:26 pm
Neil, don't miss the short cut over Sandy Heys on Kinder Downfall! There's a good 30 seconds to be had.

galpinos

• forum hero
#1024 Re: Fell running
May 09, 2018, 01:26:37 pm
Could the new route be any more contrived? I'll probably go and watch this year as I'm racing the Sunday after. Maybe the Carl Wark bog could provide some amusing moments?

Contrived, yes, but good fun. Not a great course for a man of my skill set (not very good at running but quite brave/stupid and long legged so good at descending) but a great turn out and it still feels like a "proper fell run" despite being in a very busy part of the peak between two main roads.

General mutterings after the race seemed to be that the new course was quite good. Not much of a bog around Carl Wark but the boggy bits around there helped to cushion the stride on the descent.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal