UKBouldering.com

Manley Knoll (Read 10217 times)

JDobo

• regular
Manley Knoll
August 04, 2014, 07:34:19 am
Hey just wondering if anyone knows how long Manley Knoll takes to dry out, since in the Cheshire sandstone guide it  seems very green and shaded. Really want to go and try backwoods man before the summers ends.

Cheers  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Manley Knoll
August 04, 2014, 10:51:02 am
It takes a while as has a couple of minor drainage lines running over the face holds IIRC. Its not as fast drying as some spots...

However if you do go - make sure you knock on the huge house to the right of the cliff (if looking at it from the road) as last time we were there the woman who lived there said she would like to be informed if people go up there (it is their land...).

TT

JDobo

• regular
#2 Re: Manley Knoll
August 04, 2014, 11:13:56 am
Cheers, hoping that this weather should dry it out pretty fast!

I didn't know that it was private land so I will make sure to inform her beforehand. I presume she is fine with people climbing there but just doesn't want the area trashed if she said that?

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Manley Knoll
August 04, 2014, 11:24:43 am
Cheers, hoping that this weather should dry it out pretty fast!

I didn't know that it was private land so I will make sure to inform her beforehand. I presume she is fine with people climbing there but just doesn't want the area trashed if she said that?

She seemed fine - just didn't want anyone dying and being left up there!! From what she said there had been some 'kids' (her words) climbing about up there a few weeks back and she just didnt want anything bad to happen.. Me and Andy were just packing up stuff into the cars when she swung by in her Discovery and we had a little chat...

JDobo

• regular
#4 Re: Manley Knoll
August 04, 2014, 05:10:25 pm
Well I can't see her having a problem with me climbing there the way I am with pads  :lol:

andy popp

• forum hero
#5 Re: Manley Knoll
August 04, 2014, 05:56:09 pm
Please do ask.  The house is itself called Manley Knoll. Considering she caught Tom and I on her private property she was remarkably reasonable,  it  would be good if all returned the courtesy.  If you could let us know what sort of reaction you get that would be great.  Backwodsman should be bone dry.

JDobo

• regular
#6 Re: Manley Knoll
August 04, 2014, 07:18:19 pm
I will do  :) but damn I wouldn't have expected it to dry that quick. I should have gone today...

andy popp

• forum hero
#7 Re: Manley Knoll
August 04, 2014, 07:43:27 pm
I've just remembered I've been out of the country for nearly two weeks and have no idea what the weather's been doing.  It's been really hot in Finland so if it was here it would definitely be dry.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Manley Knoll
August 04, 2014, 08:03:48 pm
It rained a bit a couple of days ago... When we went earlier in the year Andy it was dry ish but still damp/green over Backwoods Man... anyway - take yer chances and have a look. Its not that far to Harmers and Helsby if its not in :)

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#9 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 09:48:40 am
Anyone know anything about a recent ascent here? Big leaning wall left of Manley Virtues, Highball, tall and scary. Definitely not considering it, just interested :)

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

andy popp

• forum hero
#11 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 10:02:50 am
Very cool that that got done. It's a lovely little spot.

There are a couple of other recent videos on his channel that look like Cheshire sandstone but don't have any details. Anyone got any ideas?

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 10:18:50 am
There are a couple of other recent videos on his channel that look like Cheshire sandstone but don't have any details. Anyone got any ideas?

I can't identify the crag... mystery!!

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#13 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 10:21:14 am
I've just put comments on them asking for info. A frustrating lack of detail given!
Owl's Choice looks brilliant. I can't tell if the scream at the top is for power or from fear.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#14 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 10:38:29 am
I'd abbed this last autumn and took this to get a mate interested:

It's very cool, very high but the landing is great, flat and slopes up a tiny bit. Rock needs a slightly careful touch. E6/7 6c probably  :lol: :worms:

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#15 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 10:44:54 am
That's the one thanks, chalk on it at the weekend but guess it could be old given the angle. You can see the lean here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B7OtoFDJAZc/

"I can't tell if the scream at the top is for power or from fear."
It's a lo-ong way :ohmy:

Thing L of Backwoods Man looks good too, also under the radar.

andy popp

• forum hero
#16 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 11:00:40 am
It's a funny place; there's a lot of choss, but the good things are really worthwhile.

Worth re-emphasizing that you are meant to ask for permission at Manley House.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#17 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 11:01:36 am
Interesting that Tom's line goes a little right of where Fiend imagined it would go. I've been up the easy start of Manley Virtues but didn't want to commit to the hard bit as I was on my own with one pad. It's high, but not that high and the landing is perfect.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#18 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 11:13:15 am
My judgement of how to climb E7 / 7B/C stuff whilst abbing in my trainers and not being able to pull in cos it's steep is a bit shoddy. It was really nice to see how it goes in the video.

Ask Muscle.Goat about the top of Manley Virtues, he was talking in E grades not V grades for it. The crux, although not hard, is morpho, so I expect TT cruised it as per the book photo.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#19 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 11:24:10 am
It's a funny place; there's a lot of choss, but the good things are really worthwhile.

To be fair, it's not mentioned in the guide, ukc or BMC RAD. I've suggested an update on ukc and the RAD.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 11:44:08 am by steveri »

Will Hunt

• forum hero
    • Unknown Stones
#20 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 11:33:23 am
Ask Muscle.Goat about the top of Manley Virtues, he was talking in E grades not V grades for it.

I expect that climbing without preplaced protection all over the shop was a shock to the system though.  :P

andy popp

• forum hero
#21 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 11:40:13 am

To be fair, it's not mentioned in the guide, ukc or BMC RAD. I've suggested an update on ukc.

Even better reason to mention it again. I didn't know when I wrote that chapter for the guide, but it would be great to get UKC and the BMC updated - thanks for doing that.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#22 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 11:46:50 am
Even better reason to mention it again. I didn't know when I wrote that chapter for the guide, but it would be great to get UKC and the BMC updated - thanks for doing that.
No absolutely, perhaps a phone number might suit the owners better - it looks like a separate approach march to the house.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#23 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 11:51:46 am
Looks great, although Newman is massive isn't he? What does the arête go at?

andy popp

• forum hero
#24 Re: Manley Knoll
November 02, 2020, 11:59:08 am
It's Manley Virtues, V6, and it definitely feels taller than it looks in the video.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal