UKBouldering.com

Staines wall? (Read 2467 times)

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
Staines wall?
August 01, 2014, 10:53:50 pm
Hi,

I'm gonna be working in Staines for the whole of September.  :shit:

Can anyone tell me the best / nearest wall?  I won't have a car so it needs to be accessible by train / bike.

At the moment I reckon Vauxwall (40 mins by train) looks the best bet.  Is it any good?  Are there any other options worth looking at?  White Spider looks a bit crap and hard to get to?

Or has anyone got a board share?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Ta.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Staines wall?
August 02, 2014, 12:20:58 am
Is Readingadingding too far away? Decent wall there (one of J Dunnes chain) though a little pricey...

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Staines wall?
August 02, 2014, 07:03:27 pm
Westway is probably closer but I haven't looked at the travel.  White Spider is good but not the easiest place to get too without a car.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Staines wall?
August 02, 2014, 09:26:46 pm
Hmm, lack of a car seems like it's going to be an issue.  However the chances of persuading my pregnant wife to let me leave her and our 15 month old daughter without it for a month are non-existent.

Reading is over an hour by train.

White Spider looks like it would also take more than an hour by train despite only being 14 miles away.  Assuming I could be bothered to cycle, then: (i) is the bouldering good; and (ii) will I get killed riding along the A308?

Vauxwall looks easiest by train - is it any good?

miso soup

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: Staines wall?
August 02, 2014, 11:00:05 pm
Vauxwall does the job but is the least good of all the walls mentioned.  Air conditioning is it's main benefit.  Even if just bouldering I would rather go to White Spider or Westway.  Bouldering is pretty good at White Spider, nice roof, nice big training/circuit board, last time I was there they were in the process of building a new comp wall bit so it's probably even better now.  I've never cycled along the A308 but you'll probably be fine.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Staines wall?
August 03, 2014, 12:03:33 am
Nice one.  A decent training board and circuit board are all I need.  And having looked again it seems a train to Twickenham and cycling from there would get me to White Spider within 45 minutes too.

Have a wad point!

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#6 Re: Staines wall?
August 04, 2014, 11:07:23 am
Hmm a car would certainly help.  Spider from Stains is certainly rideable and there are backroads but it will be a fair ride and you'll be pretty warmed up when you get there.  Its on top of a hill from the direction you come but a car would be easier/quicker. I've no idea on the trains situation.

I was at spider for first time in a few months yesterday and bouldering area has expanded with their comp wall.  They've graded the routes on this section rather than just having coloured circuits.  I was going so regular that I was getting bored but they certainly have a lot more space now for more.  I still think they could use the space better and put up a lot more routes.  But thats me having a moan.  the staff are friendly and having built their comp wall they have moved the training section upstairs and are finishing it by the looks of things. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#7 Re: Staines wall?
August 04, 2014, 11:43:41 am
Might be worth asking on UKC or the various walls' Facebook pages if you can get a ride with anyone?

And don't forget to big up the Staines massive. Booyakashah.

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: Staines wall?
August 04, 2014, 11:52:20 am
Might be worth asking on UKC or the various walls' Facebook pages if you can get a ride with anyone?

And don't forget to big up the Staines massive. Booyakashah.

Ride wid da Staines massiv.

Innit.

i.munro

• junky
#9 Re: Staines wall?
August 04, 2014, 12:33:30 pm
I've only been to Vauxwall a few times as despite/because of the AC I found it unuseably  hot but on those occasions i thought the setting was pretty good , unusually for London.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal