UKBouldering.com

What do Sheffield boulderers do in the Summer? (Read 19333 times)

psychomansam

• forum hero
whereas I was just about to head up to some wind cooled grit when the rain started

I'm afraid you made a mistake there. It basically missed the moors and conditions were rather good up until about half 6 when the wind died. To be fair, I thought it would be a no go while leaving sheffield in a fucking downpour - only carried on because we were running too, but turned out a good'un.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Ahh, the vagaries of our little English micro climates ;) couldn't believe the temps today, don't get me wrong.. The grit was warm.. But just that, a little warm. U could still drag yr skin and relish grit for what it is.. In high summer! Happy days..

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Yesterday at the board...

20140731_195500 by Nibile, on Flickr

Paul B

• forum hero
I'd say if you're here soon it'd be worth sampling the delights of Cheedale Cornice whilst it's dry for once.

It may have been rubished on another thread, however, Peak Lime has some great climbing (even if it's lacking the aesthetic) and quite a bit of it suit the bouldering type (or Dobbin would be screwed  ;) ).

I'm pretty sure the most content climbers in Sheffield dabble in every facet of climbing within local range.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I'm pretty sure the most content climbers in Sheffield dabble in every facet of climbing within local range.

Or they just bugger off on hoilday somewhere!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent

Amen. Love the one you're with.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser

Went for a combination with a mate today. We did about a 5.5 mile fell run from strines, stopping after a couple of miles to don rockshoes and spend an hour or so soloing a dozen wee moorland grit routes. Fun had by all
Sounds like a good run out and a great way to get up on to Derwent Edge. One of my regular runs takes me straight through the Plantation but bizarrely I've never put my shoes in and done some bouldering. There must be some nice remote spots which a run in to would make a good day out...

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Ride bikes off cliffs in whistler and punter around robin hoods stride with the kids, and try to run 10km under 50 mins, distracted by X runner and total warrior obstacle course events. Could be worse??
You survived Whistler then?! How was it and was it worth the long trip??

Duma

• forum hero

Amen. Love the one you're with.
Awww yeah

SA Chris

• forum hero
Luther version over the Original CSNY?

Unless that was done ironically, you should be puntered.

(look lackline I removed the s, just to please you)

Duma

• forum hero
Well of course. The original's not nearly as much fun.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
whereas I was just about to head up to some wind cooled grit when the rain started

I'm afraid you made a mistake there.

Lagerstarfish does not make mistakes.

He explores counterintuitive alternatives..

psychomansam

• forum hero
Mountain marathon training. Got a mate to draw on a load of scored points on my dark peak map, with a start/finish from Strines/Dukes Road junction. We opened the map at 10:03am and finish 6:30 later having gone 24 miles. Learnt a lot, loads of nav mistakes meaning we'd bitten off more than we could chew. Brilliant fun, and our first visit to Alport Castles, including right up onto the tower to visit the imaginary kite. Must be some climbing up there?

Bit fucked now.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
Having moved to the SW after a decade or so near the Peak I spend all winter yearning to go bouldering on the grit.  But reading this thread has reminded me it's ace down here in the summer - off DWS-ing at Berry Head tomorrow.  :2thumbsup:

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
... and to answer the OP - get on the lime and wait for a crow to be born with the head of a quail innit.

a dense loner

• forum hero
You know nothin Jon Snow

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Mountain marathon training. Got a mate to draw on a load of scored points on my dark peak map, with a start/finish from Strines/Dukes Road junction. We opened the map at 10:03am and finish 6:30 later having gone 24 miles. Learnt a lot, loads of nav mistakes meaning we'd bitten off more than we could chew. Brilliant fun, and our first visit to Alport Castles, including right up onto the tower to visit the imaginary kite. Must be some climbing up there?

Bit fucked now.
Great effort. Take a look at the Rab Mini MM in the dark peak in November if you haven't already. Did the lakes one and it was really good.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
the importance of getting stuck in to the barbeque season is not to be underestimated

setting fire to shit and eating meat is a lot more fun than limestone

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Ride bikes off cliffs in whistler and punter around robin hoods stride with the kids, and try to run 10km under 50 mins, distracted by X runner and total warrior obstacle course events. Could be worse??
You survived Whistler then?! How was it and was it worth the long trip??

Whistler is everything it's hyped to be, way bigger than the vids, the second lift area, the Garbo isn't like a bike park. It's lift assisted whole mountain DH gnar, jumps on and off container lorries, 30 ft step ups and vertical root infested shoots etc.. Etc... By a long way the best place I've ridden. 6 months of running, free weights and yoga was certainly needed for me to make the most of it. Worth the cost in time, money and travel. I would only entertain the alps if I has less than a week. I'm going back. I have 70 gig of footage, which I intend to make into a" how to do Whistler" vid, bit of a different angle to the norm.. I'll link it when I finally edit it.

SA Chris

• forum hero
Sounds ace. Our summer visit motivated us to make a two week winter visit too.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Whistler is everything it's hyped to be, way bigger than the vids, the second lift area, the Garbo isn't like a bike park. It's lift assisted whole mountain DH gnar, jumps on and off container lorries, 30 ft step ups and vertical root infested shoots etc.. Etc... By a long way the best place I've ridden. 6 months of running, free weights and yoga was certainly needed for me to make the most of it. Worth the cost in time, money and travel. I would only entertain the alps if I has less than a week. I'm going back. I have 70 gig of footage, which I intend to make into a" how to do Whistler" vid, bit of a different angle to the norm.. I'll link it when I finally edit it.

Sounds bloody fantastic! not sure I am up to 30ft step up and vertical chutes though. I remember seeing some footage of crabapple hits ages ago there and thinking "no chance"! look forward to the footage...

SA Chris

• forum hero
There's tons of more punterish stuff too. and stacks of XC in the surrounding area.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
punterish is good, coming from someone who managed to land on his face on a set of simple doubles in Morzine

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
Chris is right. You don't need to be of any certain standard to ride the lower lift area, after a few days you realise how darn clever the trail builders are, there is plenty for all abilities.

I just had certain goals I wanted to achieve, did some, not others and found a whole load of others...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal