UKBouldering.com

What do Sheffield boulderers do in the Summer? (Read 19374 times)

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
For the last few weeks I've been going to the Tor, CragX and, when cloudy, Rubicon in the morning. Its been great. And quiet.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
during August the nearest beach is here

for really good beaches you could make a weekend of it and go to Northumberland (and maybe sample the rather good sandstone while you're there)

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
Routes of one sort or another. Grit when cooler/breezier. Some grit venues are only good in the warmer months e.g Howshaw. Churnet and lime bouldering. Wild swimming is a good fallback when it's really hot.

andy popp

• forum hero
I spent one hot, injured and carless summer catching the train to Edale by myself and seeking out Kinder's best easy routes. By September I was fighting fit and had probably my best ever autumn season,  on grit and lime. There's always something you can do.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
I devoted last summer to getting better at offwidthing, mostly working my way through the Yorkshire Grit "Dirty Dozen" at Brimham.

Didn't do anything that hard but it was certainly a good fun few months and I'm sure it did me no end of good fitness-wise!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I watch/play cricket and drink beer. Actually that's what I do all year.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Ride bikes off cliffs in whistler and punter around robin hoods stride with the kids, and try to run 10km under 50 mins, distracted by X runner and total warrior obstacle course events. Could be worse??

JackAus

• junky
I just took a look a bbc weather to see what you were all complaining about..... 20-21 degrees??? Its middle of winter here and yesterday was 24 and today is forecast to be 25........

Admittedly, it is unexpectedly warm though... During the day it is usually high teens/low 20s...

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
When I just bouldered, I kept on bouldering - shady bits of Caley, Brimham.  Almscliff on breezy days.  Moorland grit if there was a dry forecast and I felt like a walk.  Looking at my old logbooks, most of my very hardest ticks were in July/August.  It took me until then to get my outdoor climbing knack back after only climbing indoors over Winter- early Spring (Reynauds sufferer - "grit conditions" never did it me).  Grit can feel unpleasant in direct sun, but any cloud / shade and you'll be surprised at how hard you can climb.  Humidity is the real killer so hunting out breezy spots reaps real rewards - I always found Almscliff in direct sun but on a windy day, better than a shadier, stiller spot.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
I remember asking Quent back in the day why he kept bouldering at the same lime venues through the summer and he said there  was a challenge to be had repeating problems in warmer conditions. Its all relative.

tomtom

• forum hero
When I just bouldered, I kept on bouldering - shady bits of Caley, Brimham.  Almscliff on breezy days.  Moorland grit if there was a dry forecast and I felt like a walk.  Looking at my old logbooks, most of my very hardest ticks were in July/August.  It took me until then to get my outdoor climbing knack back after only climbing indoors over Winter- early Spring (Reynauds sufferer - "grit conditions" never did it me).  Grit can feel unpleasant in direct sun, but any cloud / shade and you'll be surprised at how hard you can climb.  Humidity is the real killer so hunting out breezy spots reaps real rewards - I always found Almscliff in direct sun but on a windy day, better than a shadier, stiller spot.

Didnt you do slopey traverse (that 7B+ to the right of Morells wall) on a hot August day?

tim palmer

• forum abuser
Train indoors mainly?
Limestone bouldering?
Go sport climbing?
Eat pies?
Go sport climbing! 

If you want to improve during the summer I think it is the way forward, I found it a really hard to get into but now I enjoy it as much as bouldering. 

I think it is much better training for the winter than slogging away indoors; I lose a bit of flicky bouldering power but my fingers stay as strong or get stronger during the summer.

I would avoid the tor for the most part and go for the better, steeper bits of cheedale and water-cum-jolly (i.e. the cornice)

cha1n

• forum hero
I suppose it's all relative to how close to your limit you're trying. I remember when I was in Font and it was getting hot, I could still get up 7As in the sun but if I went and tried one of my harder projects the heat really made a difference.

Perhaps summer is for quantity, not difficulty. Probably gives your body a bit of a rest and all that. That's why I used to do routes down here in the summer because I figured the change in style gave your body a rest. I must admit that the only way I get anything out of doing easier stuff is if I try to cram loads in during a session otherwise I do get a bit bored and nothing irritates me more than failing on a climb due to bad skin!

tim palmer

• forum abuser
Yeah, I think part of the benefit in doing routes is just getting a lot of mileage and moving well (although I am not sure I ever move particularly well). 

Also I think the mid/highish grade climbing on Peak limestone tends to be on positive holds so helps the finger strength and a bit of heat doesn't matter that much (within reason).     

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
Fell running. The more I read about it the more psyched I'm becoming.

psychomansam

• forum hero

:lol:

If you ever get bored of reading, let me know...

tomtom

• forum hero
Whats with the climbers going fishing thing? I've nothing against it - but come summer my facebook feed becomes full of pictures of Tench (or whatever) instead of bouldering...

why?

Wood FT

• forum hero
Whats with the climbers going fishing thing? I've nothing against it - but come summer my facebook feed becomes full of pictures of Tench (or whatever) instead of bouldering...

why?

The recession, sign o' the times. lovely bit of smoked tench.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
I presume you are actually running as well as reading about it?!  ;)

There are some classic races in the summer to go at; Burbage Skyline, Castleton and Salt Cellar (tomorrow night in fact) all of which take in some fantastic local trails. Since I don't climb as much as I used to I find it a great way to keep the weight off so when I do go bouldering at least I don't humiliate myself any more than I need to.

tomtom

• forum hero

why?

The recession, sign o' the times. lovely bit of smoked tench.

So when I was a yoof - the only reason we went fishing was so we could get out of the house and smoke bifta's and drink cheap strong lager/cider.... so why does?.... oh.... I see.... ;)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
Didnt you do slopey traverse (that 7B+ to the right of Morells wall) on a hot August day?

I think so (and without the chip too!) - and the Keel and Streaky's  and Secret 7th were all done July / August I think.  I think Ian's Traverse at Brimham is one of the few problems I did in "grit conditions" - as it's a sheltered spot so I didn't have problems with the slightest breeze burning my fingers into blocks of ice. 

That said, I'll admit to finding even shady limestone sport a problem in the recent humid weather - small but positive crimps aren't too bad but slopey crimps and slots feel incredibly toothpastey. 

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
Wonderful time at robin hoods stride today, very cool time tryin the mid grade stuff, in a cool breeze, little sun and no midges. :D

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
whereas I was just about to head up to some wind cooled grit when the rain started

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Cycling, sport climbing and other activities to make a man weak.

psychomansam

• forum hero
There are some classic races in the summer to go at; Burbage Skyline, Castleton and Salt Cellar (tomorrow night in fact) all of which take in some fantastic local trails. Since I don't climb as much as I used to I find it a great way to keep the weight off so when I do go bouldering at least I don't humiliate myself any more than I need to.

Went for a combination with a mate today. We did about a 5.5 mile fell run from strines, stopping after a couple of miles to don rockshoes and spend an hour or so soloing a dozen wee moorland grit routes. Fun had by all

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal