UKBouldering.com

What do Sheffield boulderers do in the Summer? (Read 19377 times)

cha1n

• forum hero
Train indoors mainly?
Limestone bouldering?
Go sport climbing?
Eat pies?

With my move to Sheffield happening within the next few weeks I'm wondering what happens during the summer. Personally I wouldn't touch grit in these temperatures (I can only squeeze out about 3 problems before my skin gives up in the winter), so I'm guessing everyone goes out on the limestone?

Would be good to get out to all the best crags for this time of year, meet up with some locals, etc. Thanks for any info!

tomtom

• forum hero

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Trad climbing on lime. Bouldering on sandstone - Churnet/ Shropshire etc, much less temperature dependent. Fishing.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Train indoors mainly?
Limestone bouldering?
Go sport climbing?
Eat pies?

Yes, depending on preference.

Also, you can still have a good day on the grit if you head to the higher moorland crags.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
In no particular order;

Look for crimpy grit problems or crags and avoid places like Secret Garden
Get our earlier when the temps are lower (this good weather will break soon anyway I guess)
Drop your expectations; just go out for a nice easy circuit and enjoy it for what it is
Go running
Go swimming outdoors
Head to the beach

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Train indoors mainly?
Limestone bouldering?
Go sport climbing?
Eat pies?

Also, you can still have a good day on the grit if you head to the higher moorland crags Yorkshire.

Fixed that

Stubbs

Also, you can still have a good day on the grit if you head to the higher moorland crags Yorkshire.

Fixed that

Really? There as many grit crags in Yorks as in the Peak that I wouldn't go to at this time of year, Caley as a prime example!

Plenty of summer climbing options from Sheffield, although it does seem that each year an increasing number take to two wheels in the summer.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Oh, is it this game again?

Train indoors mainly?
Limestone bouldering?
Go sport climbing?
Eat pies?

Also, you can still have a good day on the grit if you head to to the higher moorland crags Yorkshire the Lancashire moors.

Fixed that
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:06:00 pm by r-man »

cha1n

• forum hero

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
Oh, is it this game again?

Train indoors mainly?
Limestone bouldering?
Go sport climbing?
Eat pies?

Also, you can still have a good day on the grit if you head to to the higher moorland crags Yorkshire the Lancashire moors.

Fixed that

touché.  :clap2:

cha1n

• forum hero
Head to the beach

What's the nearest good beach? This is something the mrs was moaning about when leaving the south even though we never go to the beach and the nearest ones are shit.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Cleethorpes. Depending on definition of good :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Go on holiday to high mountainous regions (Alps, Dolomites and where I'll be for just over a fortnight or so from Friday, the Pyrenees  :2thumbsup: ).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:36:46 pm by slackline »

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo
Fishing.

And drinking. :fishing:  :alky: sometimes at the same time.

cha1n

• forum hero
Summer is such a waste of a season...

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Easy Trad (tm)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Cleethorpes is passable :) But would probably drive to Fraisthorpe if going east coast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser

Head to the beach

What's the nearest good beach? This is something the mrs was moaning about when leaving the south even though we never go to the beach and the nearest ones are shit.
my favourite beach is Newborough on Anglesey though I go for kitesurfing, it's an awfully long way just to make sandcastles. If you made a weekend of it though and got some climbing in round Llanberis or at Gogarth it's well worth the drive. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stubbs

I do hope you're joking! So many good things about summer, this is an example of what you can do with 15+ hours of daylight!

http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/esoterica-climbing-the-peak-districts-weirdest-routes-%7C-hardxs-from-slackjaw-film-ep-13/263000?header_b=1&b=1

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Cleethorpes is passable :) But would probably drive to Fraisthorpe if going east coast

By good I meant "bear in mind this is the North Sea, don't expect the Med"

tomtom

• forum hero
Head to the beach

Meadowhall :)

psychomansam

• forum hero

I do hope you're joking! So many good things about summer, this is an example of what you can do with 15+ hours of daylight!

http://www.epictv.com/media/podcast/esoterica-climbing-the-peak-districts-weirdest-routes-%7C-hardxs-from-slackjaw-film-ep-13/263000?header_b=1&b=1

I'm not sure you're really helping things with that.

Grit bouldering in summer requires some determination to get up early and/or go for a long walk. And it's still likely to be sweaty.
But I enjoyed some grit trad on Sunday under cloud cover and with a good breeze. Perfectly good conditions unless you want to push your absolute limits. If Pete can climb 150 routes up to E6 in a heatwave in midsummer, then what are we complaining about?
Yesterday I drove a bit further for some limestone trad. Good conditions and a great time had by all.
I'm also doing a lot of running...

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

Sack off all projects until OctoberGet annoyed about the amount of daylight / conditions disparity
Get bitten the hell out of by midges
Sweat your ass off indoors because you can't be bothered getting disappointed outdoors
Make do with Peak Lime

Oh yes, and moan...roll on the clocks going back.

willackers

• junky
    • Vimeo

You obviously need to take up a proper sport like fishing or drinking, that will ensure that your summers will be long and full of fun and excitement.

cha1n

• forum hero
Fishing a drinking sound like a deadly combination... I get fat just looking at a pint of ale!

Have recently purchased a second hand hardtail though so this could be an option (not that I'm any good on 2 wheels)... I've never quite found a sport I enjoyed doing in the summer. Suppose I quite liked tennis when I was at school during the summer holiday, used to play until I was bordering on sun stroke.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal