UKBouldering.com

Fat loss strategies (Read 10553 times)

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 08:24:45 am
Usual wisdom from the source of all power. I wish I'd known this shit twenty years ago. I could have overlooked climbing technique even more.
http://www.t-nation.com/training/8-rules-for-fat-loss-training

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 08:32:47 am
Usual wisdom from the source of all power. I wish I'd known this shit twenty years ago. I could have overlooked climbing technique even more.
http://www.t-nation.com/training/8-rules-for-fat-loss-training

Careful Nibs!
train less to have the time to take care of your nutrition

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#2 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 08:49:29 am
get outside

Stubbs

#3 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 08:56:05 am
I'm sure there's a lot of sense in these articles, but then they ruin it by using this guy as an illustration!

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 09:12:00 am
I suspect that picture is appealing more to the article/websites regular user demographic rather than ours ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#5 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 09:36:52 am
I'm sure there's a lot of sense in these articles, but then they ruin it by using this guy as an illustration!

Thats not fat, thats big muscles bones!

abarro81

• forum hero
#6 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 09:47:31 am
I have no idea what useful information I was supposed to take away from that article that wasn't freaking obvious?

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
#7 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 10:22:14 am
I have no idea what useful information I was supposed to take away from that article that wasn't freaking obvious?
What made you think that it was personally aimed at you Alex, apart from your paranoia?
I've been posting on here for long enough now to know that you are an infinite source of pure knowledge, and that nothing can sound new to your golden neurons.
But for us mere mortals, some things could still be a useful read, you know.
Oh, sorry, no you don't. Silly me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:29:15 am by Nibile »

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE

a dense loner

• forum hero
#9 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 10:51:01 am
Smack him nibs, he's never had to do a hard move in his life, he's weak as piss. He's just tall with a kneepad

Wood FT

• forum hero

abarro81

• forum hero
#11 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 11:04:22 am
I just thought it was a shit article, or am I not allowed to say that for some reason? I'll use 'one' instead of 'I' next time if it'll piss you off less. I read a lot of articles on the web, and I thought that was near the bottom of the quality tree.. From your intro I was expecting something more.

benno

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 11:28:25 am
Thanks, Nibile.

Can you provide some links, Barrows? I've just recently got access to a good gym near my office and it's probably a good opportunity to actually trim off some of the "training ballast". I really don't like running (I know, boohoo...) and access to rowing machines could be a real boon for me actually getting on top of this stuff.

abarro81

• forum hero
#13 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 11:52:50 am
I thought that this was an interesting read, though you have to pay for it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Weight-Matt-Fitzgerald/dp/1934030511

As a slight aside, I'm unconvinced about using cardio which involves lower legs in order to manipulate weight if being light for climbing is your goal. This is quite personal - some people can do shit loads of it and not get big legs, but if I bike or use rowing machines etc it makes my legs big. Might not be fat, but still useless weight.
A number of others, e.g.
http://climbstrong.com/
http://rockclimberstrainingmanual.com/
also seem to not be taken with the idea of doing cardio work to benefit climbing unless you're obscenely unfit. The latter peeps also advocate ditching stuff like cycling in order to get light for climbing.

Paul B

• forum hero
#14 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 12:19:10 pm
He's just tall with a kneepad

...and that's on a good day. On a bad day he's tall with two kneepads.  :chair:

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#15 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 12:34:47 pm
All you need to know. Just be sure to memorise the timetable.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#16 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 02:30:47 pm
I'm unconvinced about using cardio which involves lower legs in order to manipulate weight if being light for climbing is your goal. This is quite personal - some people can do shit loads of it and not get big legs, but if I bike or use rowing machines etc it makes my legs big.

Same here. I've doing a fair bit of cycling and hillwalking lately because I have alpine goals, but I'm well aware that if I wanted to seriously try to get better at sport climbing the cardio would have to go. I'd have to resort to dietary discipline instead, which is harder.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#17 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 30, 2014, 02:50:56 pm
I'm unconvinced about using cardio which involves lower legs in order to manipulate weight if being light for climbing is your goal. This is quite personal - some people can do shit loads of it and not get big legs, but if I bike or use rowing machines etc it makes my legs big.

Same here. I've doing a fair bit of cycling and hillwalking lately because I have alpine goals, but I'm well aware that if I wanted to seriously try to get better at sport climbing the cardio would have to go. I'd have to resort to dietary discipline instead, which is harder.

What those two said.

I ran, hill-walked, and did step-ups for about 9 months before the recent trip to Yosemite. Compared to before previous year's trip to Dolomites I was about 1.5-2kg heavier for a very similar body composition (determined visually but I'm pretty familiar with how things change with small body-fat variation).

benno

• menacing presence
#18 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 31, 2014, 03:13:59 pm
I thought that this was an interesting read, though you have to pay for it:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Racing-Weight-Matt-Fitzgerald/dp/1934030511

As a slight aside, I'm unconvinced about using cardio which involves lower legs in order to manipulate weight if being light for climbing is your goal. This is quite personal - some people can do shit loads of it and not get big legs, but if I bike or use rowing machines etc it makes my legs big. Might not be fat, but still useless weight.
A number of others, e.g.
http://climbstrong.com/
http://rockclimberstrainingmanual.com/
also seem to not be taken with the idea of doing cardio work to benefit climbing unless you're obscenely unfit. The latter peeps also advocate ditching stuff like cycling in order to get light for climbing.

Thanks, I'll take a gander. I'm quite interested in getting a copy of the Training Manual anyway!

On the weight loss front, I'm probably stuffed then. Having heavy legs seems to be something I'm predisposed to... perhaps from playing lots of hockey a few years back? Sprinting about the place in a half crouch is probably about the worst thing you could do to look good in your leggings, I'd have thought.

I guess I'll just have to eat better. I think step 1 of this plan should be getting a new job where the primary focus of half the work force isn't to bring cake in for the whole office. Literally every day this week! Don't they know my self-control is appalling?

Wood FT

• forum hero
#19 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 31, 2014, 03:37:00 pm
On the weight loss front, I'm probably stuffed then. Having heavy legs seems to be something I'm predisposed to...

I can break your legs if you like? get them back down to a standard level in the non-active recooperation period. All the stars are doing it....

Reference: R.Hickish & N.Kershaw (Sheffield) 'Breaking Good: a study into alternative weight loss methods

benno

• menacing presence
#20 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 31, 2014, 05:03:44 pm
I can break your legs if you like? get them back down to a standard level in the non-active recooperation period. All the stars are doing it....

I remember it being postulated in the pub once that if you could find yourself an exceptionally heavy wheelchair and confine yourself to it for a while you'd end up with the idealised "tree trunks and pipe cleaners" bouldering physique...

danm

• junky
#21 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 31, 2014, 09:21:23 pm
Reminds me of a climbing cartoon from years ago, the character had his brain and legs removed to save weight.

Tommy

• junky
#22 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 31, 2014, 10:35:26 pm
Nibs, it's simple. It'll cost you a few notes, but colonic irrigation will see you right.

As for weight loss, the morning after my colonic and saw a 1.5 pound loss—not the 6 pounds I was hoping for, but a positive change.

Grades in exchange for cash!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#23 Re: Fat loss strategies
July 31, 2014, 11:23:32 pm
Unless your legs explode with heavy muscle... Which I seriously doubt.. And u want a long term end game success, some leg bulk is nothing. Look at Gresham and Bentley.. Rounded physiques that have climbed 3 decades plus. Paul reeve can run darn well an all. The anorexic climber was in my age group, and have learnt a lot since then. Run 10 km in 50 mins. Make it a goal. In 15 years... You will have that CV prowess in yr quiver. More balance Alex, and others.. Or u will repeat the mistakes of previous generations...

abarro81

• forum hero
#24 Re: Fat loss strategies
August 01, 2014, 07:17:15 am
Im intrigued what you think the mistakes were?
You might be able to use that argument to convince me to do weights to work antagonists, but I'm not sure I see how running will help me stay climbing long term? (I ran a lot as a kid and it injured the hell out of me - issues with ankles, shins, knees and a stress fractured tibia. If anything is going to fuck my body long term I reckon it's running!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal