UKBouldering.com

Indoor and outddor bouldering shoes? (Read 2525 times)

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
Indoor and outddor bouldering shoes?
July 27, 2014, 12:12:40 pm
Hi everyone,

Been a long term follower of UKB and this is my first post - so go easy.
I have almost worn out my Boostic's and want some advice as to what kind of shoe to get next. I want a change from the Boostic's.

I climb at the Arch 2-3 times a week with occasional boulder trip outdoor. Am hoping at some point to join a climbing club in London and do some lead climbing.

Would ideally like something sensitive but with enough support when outside.
Is it better to have two shoes on the go? One for outside slabby climbs and one for indoor steeper climbs. Ideally would like one shoe to do everything.

On a side note I picked up a pair of Verdes, they were pretty cheap in a sale, but they feel pretty tight, will they give a bit? I was thinking these would be good for outdoor climbing.

Many thanks to those who reply.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
If you're learning then I'd stick to one pair of boots to make the transition a little easier. No point confusing yourself with another new variable when you're on rock.

If you can fit the verdes on, then they'll stretch. They're a good choice.

Good luck.

tomtom

• forum hero
I have 6 pairs of rock boots to chose from in the car.. but for the last few months I've always reached for Scarpa Instinct Slippers - until I've needed something with a better heel/downturn/edge etc.. So if you want an all round shoe then I would suggest these

Or - Anasazi Velcro VCS's which are popular (with good reason) and until above were my 'reach for' shoe.. again an excellent all rounder... Maybe a bit more so than the slipper above...

I find walls tend to trash shoes quite rapidly - so I have had a cheap pair of shoes (bargain bin things) to trash there...

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
Thanks for your replies,

I have returned to climbing after a 12 year lay off.
Been going regularly to the Arch for over a year now 2-3 times a week.
It has been brilliant, I am managing to climbing up to v4.
Now looking to consolidate and work into the v5.

Anybody used the Verdes? Got these cheap, a bit painful out of the box, just wondering if they will break in and stretch a little? The next size down were too small and the size up too big.

Guy at Mile end shop said that I had a low volume foot and that laces ups would be better.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Always listen to shop guy ( I used to be one ) . Verdes will stretch in but remember to take them off when your resting, having a cup of tea etc. The main reason most people find their shoes hurt too much is because they leave them on way too long. The verdes are a bit softer and will break in so it's good that you've got a snug fit.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
Thanks Andy, Tomtom and Moo for all your advice.
Just interested to hear about what other peoples views were about their climbing shoes.
Because my Boostics have lasted a while I can't remember how tight they were.
Remember taken them on and off for a while until they were broken in.
Just a bit of a shock how narrow the 5.10 shoes are compared to the Scarpa.
Many thanks once again.
James

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal