UKBouldering.com

Lump on finger (Read 4457 times)

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
Lump on finger
July 26, 2014, 11:12:06 pm
A few weeks back I started getting some pain in my ring finger on my left hand, right above the PIP joint.
It would be quite minor, and only occurred when pressure was put on that place by certain jugs and guppys.
When I felt my finger there was a small but obvious lump above the joint, and it hurt when I applied pressure directly to it.
It hasn't stopped me from climbing at all, and I don't get any pain when using slopers (because the pressure is spread over the whole finger?), but the pain hasn't subsided and the lump is still there.
So, I was wondering if anyone knew what this is, and how it can be treated?
Thanks.

tomrainbow

• player
#1 Re: Lump on finger
July 26, 2014, 11:20:55 pm
Wow - that's bizarre. After 25 years of regular climbing, I noticed exactly the same thing in exactly the same place of the same finger about a month ago.

No idea what it is though!

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#2 Re: Lump on finger
July 27, 2014, 12:01:28 am
Hi there.

I had a lump chopped off my finger about 15 years ago.

Don't know what a PIP joint is, but my lump was on the first joint (finger end, not knuckle end) of my index finger (middle finger).

When I applied pressure on crimps it was pretty uncomfortable, but OK after, but it meant I couldn't use small holds on that hand. I had the bulk of the lump removed on the NHS - chopped off under local. I was climbing again within a week (foolishly of course). I still can't fit my fingers into the slot on Out of My Tree, at The Tor, but pretty much no pain since.

It was basically a bony growth extending out over the joint - under x-ray it looked a bit like the bony growth on the back of a pterodactyl's head!

I have a similar growth on my right elbow too, which compromises extension at the limit, but I'll probably leave that one unless it becomes really problematic.

EdGowSmith

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Lump on finger
July 27, 2014, 12:08:15 am
Hi there.

I had a lump chopped off my finger about 15 years ago.

Don't know what a PIP joint is, but my lump was on the first joint (finger end, not knuckle end) of my index finger (middle finger).

When I applied pressure on crimps it was pretty uncomfortable, but OK after, but it meant I couldn't use small holds on that hand. I had the bulk of the lump removed on the NHS - chopped off under local. I was climbing again within a week (foolishly of course). I still can't fit my fingers into the slot on Out of My Tree, at The Tor, but pretty much no pain since.

It was basically a bony growth extending out over the joint - under x-ray it looked a bit like the bony growth on the back of a pterodactyl's head!

I have a similar growth on my right elbow too, which compromises extension at the limit, but I'll probably leave that one unless it becomes really problematic.

Thanks for that.
Was this lump caused by climbing, or unrelated?
And did you get it x-rayed to find out what it was?

haydn jones

• forum hero
#4 Re: Lump on finger
July 27, 2014, 12:32:03 am
there's the possibility of a ganglion cyst too.

benno

• menacing presence
#5 Re: Lump on finger
July 28, 2014, 09:06:00 am
There's a simple way to differentiate between what could be a ganglion cyst or a bone spur. If it's a ganglion (well, if it's like the one I've got on my PIP joint, anyway) you should be able to temporarily massage it away. It will refill and come back, but you may well find this gets rid of any discomfort for a short while. If it's hard and won't budge, I'd go get an x-ray.

Lund

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: Lump on finger
July 28, 2014, 02:54:42 pm
There's a simple way to differentiate between what could be a ganglion cyst or a bone spur. If it's a ganglion (well, if it's like the one I've got on my PIP joint, anyway) you should be able to temporarily massage it away. It will refill and come back, but you may well find this gets rid of any discomfort for a short while. If it's hard and won't budge, I'd go get an x-ray.

Dubious.  You might have to squeeze it fucking hard to make it go away.  Not for nothing did people use to whack them with a bible.

A better diagnostic *hint* is to shine a torch through it.  You can shine light through a cyst, but not through bone.

haydn jones

• forum hero
#7 Re: Lump on finger
July 28, 2014, 02:57:05 pm
i didn't have to massage mine to hard, but it took awhile (a day or two), and it usually won't come back for a month or two

benno

• menacing presence
#8 Re: Lump on finger
July 28, 2014, 03:12:33 pm

Dubious.  You might have to squeeze it fucking hard to make it go away.  Not for nothing did people use to whack them with a bible.

A better diagnostic *hint* is to shine a torch through it.  You can shine light through a cyst, but not through bone.
I did try and caveat it by saying that it was only as applies to the one I've got. Good tip about the torch, though.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#9 Re: Lump on finger
July 30, 2014, 02:06:54 pm
Sorry about the delay getting back to you.

I do seem to remember getting it x-rayed first. It wasn't a cyst, but a bone spur. It appeared about 15+ years ago (yikes!). I'd had some time off from climbing, through work (yikes! again). Various other injuries also appeared - e.g. weakness ;-) - and I wondered if it may have been brought about by the reduction in activity, change in lifestyle etc.

I'd say, visit your GP. Most of the inconvenience was pre operation. Apart from having a slightly fatter finger because of the residual lump, I've had no problems with it since.

Hope some of this helps - with morale at least.

Dave.

webbo

• forum hero
#10 Re: Lump on finger
July 30, 2014, 03:46:33 pm
I have lumps like those on most of my fingers. I think I was told it was damage to the ligaments which in order to repair its self the body lays down soft bone i.e. the lump. I was told you have rest the joint to get rid, hence I've still got them. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#11 Re: Lump on finger
July 30, 2014, 04:06:37 pm
Not for nothing did people use to whack them with a bible.

Do you prescribe King James or Good News?

benno

• menacing presence
#12 Re: Lump on finger
July 31, 2014, 02:54:48 pm
Not for nothing did people use to whack them with a bible.

Do you prescribe King James or Good News?

After Lund's comment about historic scripture therapy, I did some googling of "bible cyst". I advise caution when viewing the image results. MY EYES.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal