UKBouldering.com

mtb day sac (Read 5697 times)

Nike Air

• forum abuser
mtb day sac
July 24, 2014, 12:55:34 pm
Hiya
Anyone got preferences for a decent small pack for 30-50 mile Rides? I've been using a fanny pack for the short rides I've been doing but will need to take food, more water and clothing on the bigger days out..
Any suggestions?

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: mtb day sac
July 24, 2014, 01:24:36 pm
I've a camelback clone thing that takes a 2l camelback and has enough space around it and in a stretchy cord webbing outer to put a little food (flapjacks etc..) and a compact waterproof in....

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#2 Re: mtb day sac
July 24, 2014, 04:16:04 pm
Camelpak Mule is the benchmark 'big day out' pack. Enough space (11L) for spare clothes, food, spares + 3l of water. Not cheap but very tough. You'd be lucky to get one much less than £80 unless you can put up with a hideous colour.  :sick: when you can get one nearer £60.

Decathlon are selling a variation called the HB Scudo, not as tough and more of a running sack rather than a Mtb one. Still good though £50

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/hb-scudo-black-yellow-camelbak-id_8238559.html

If your after a bargain, Merlin has Tamarack Hydrapack for £28. A bit smaller than a MULE at 7L+3Lwater but probably enough space for most days.
http://www.merlincycles.com/hydrapak-44318/
If your after something bigger Morro is 11L or the Jolla is 18L

(Can you tell I've been shopping around myself  :-[...not bought one yet though...)

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#3 Re: mtb day sac
July 24, 2014, 04:39:25 pm
I may have just persuaded myself to get a Morro...annoying guy but useful comparison

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
#4 Re: mtb day sac
July 24, 2014, 04:53:30 pm
Osprey packs are in my opinion ahead of the rest, really nicely thought out, good features but no gimmicks. Water bladder design and zip on the shoulder strap design is great too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duma

• forum hero
#5 Re: mtb day sac
July 24, 2014, 05:00:41 pm
Went through this recently, ended up with an osprey, can't remember model right now but will check later. Anyway, nothing to compare to but I like it, seems well made and designed like btl says.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: mtb day sac
July 24, 2014, 05:28:24 pm
Camelpak Mule is the benchmark 'big day out' pack. Enough space (11L) for spare clothes, food, spares + 3l of water. Not cheap but very tough. You'd be lucky to get one much less than £80 unless you can put up with a hideous colour.  :sick: when you can get one nearer £60.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/camelbak-mule-orange-id_8249120.html

I quite like the orange one!

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#7 Re: mtb day sac
July 24, 2014, 05:42:13 pm

Are you part of a mountain rescue team? Consider your answer carefully, my finger is on the punter button.... ;)

Duma

• forum hero
#8 Re: mtb day sac
July 24, 2014, 07:48:00 pm
Went through this recently, ended up with an osprey, can't remember model right now but will check later. Anyway, nothing to compare to but I like it, seems well made and designed like btl says.
Just looked, it's a viper. 9l (3l reservoir). Seems about right for minimal tools and tubes, food, and extra layer.

cofe

• forum hero
#9 Re: mtb day sac
July 24, 2014, 10:31:23 pm
Mules are 60 sheets in blue from Halfords. Used one for a few years.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#10 Re: mtb day sac
July 24, 2014, 11:17:56 pm
I've used a Deuter Superbike for years, one of the best rucksacks I've ever had. 18 litres may be a bit bigger than you're looking for but is great for carrying a change of clothes to work, kit to the wall etc. Mine is about twelve years old: colour has faded a bit and the mesh on the side pockets is looking a bit moth-eaten, otherwise bombproof and still in excellent nick.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#11 Re: mtb day sac
July 24, 2014, 11:42:06 pm
Good knowledge guys, I ll check out all the suggestions. Osprey do look nice!

reckon its best to try it on or just order online where the best deals seem?

anyone ever used the Evoc bags? https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=evoc++rucksack&tbm=shop

SA Chris

• forum hero
#12 Re: mtb day sac
July 25, 2014, 08:39:28 am

Are you part of a mountain rescue team? Consider your answer carefully, my finger is on the punter button.... ;)

I'm taking the 5th Amendment.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#13 Re: mtb day sac
July 25, 2014, 08:40:13 am
reckon its best to try it on or just order online where the best deals seem?

Best try on, then order online :)

gingerninja

• menacing presence
#14 Re: mtb day sac
July 25, 2014, 10:07:30 am
ive got the evoc freeride pack. might be a bit big for what you want and have the back protector but the evoc stuff is awesome. well designed and made. check out one of the smaller bags. ive got the bike bag, terminal and world traveller bags.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#15 Re: mtb day sac
July 25, 2014, 02:26:02 pm
Just ordered a Morro from Merlin. Will feedback.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#16 Re: mtb day sac
August 07, 2014, 02:28:44 pm

Well this turned up the next day with Merlins awesome delivery so I was pretty impressed to start with. I've now used it for the Enduro rides last weekend so given it a pretty good test. For reference I've had a Camelbak lobo for a few years (which I generally rate) and various friends have CB Mules.

So I used it pretty extensively, loaded with 2l water (bladder not full), 0.5l energy drink, food, spare top, gloves, jacket (mixed weather!), spares, camera, tools, pump, more food, first aid kit etc. It wasn't stuffed, I could have put a lot more in and it was very easy to open and close without stuff falling out. The clips and straps are good quality with velcro ties to stop straps flapping. It was comfy to wear all day (+10hrs over the weekend), I didn't notice my back getting especially hot, so it appears the venting works fine. The size is fine, some of the photos of it are stuffed in typical catalogue style to 100% capacity so it makes it look like it stands off your back, this is not the case in practice, it is a comfy shape that is very stable to wear.

Some more pros and cons:
+ Side pockets take a standard bike bottle so you can take energy drink and water separate.
+ Plenty of pockets for tools, key, phone etc.
+ Main compartment is large and easily accessed by a zip going around 3/4 of the bag.
+ Doesn't feel particularly heavy empty, quite a few pockets and zips but not too bad overall.
+ The magnetic latch for the tube is very clever and if aligned often reseats itself.
+ The bitey tube end is fine, just as good as the CB one, it has a twist to lock.
+ The fill from the top bladder is good, on my CB, the round lid always falls out whilst it's hung up to dry so the HP is an improvement on this. The ability to turn it fully inside out to clean is great and better than the CB one.
+ The bladder is thin but feels well made, it has a lifetime leak guarantee like the CB
- The only storage lacking is a space to stuff a wet/muddy jacket on the outside. You would have to trap it under a compression strap, not a big issue.
- Some of the material feels quite thin, how tough it is only time and use will tell.

So not necessarily a lot better than a Mule, just different but certainly no worse and whilst they are £36 a complete bargain.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#17 Re: mtb day sac
August 08, 2014, 08:37:48 am
thanks for that, ive been looking around alot online but m,ainly been popping into shops and having a look. Not found anything that wins me over yet for the price. I ll look into the Morro..

I've now used it for the Enduro rides last weekend so given it a pretty good test.

Was this the Ard Rock Endro?

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#18 Re: mtb day sac
August 08, 2014, 07:19:28 pm
Yup, great fun. Highly recommended.

DAVETHOMAS90

• forum hero
  • Dave Thomas is an annual climber to 1.7m, with strongly fragrant flowers
  • Don't die with your music still inside you ;)
#19 Re: mtb day sac
August 08, 2014, 10:27:30 pm
If you're in Sheffield, check out the lightweight running sacks at Lidl. Just bought one. £8.99. There were a couple left yesterday, in orange. Bladder compartment, outer mesh storage, 6.5l internal storage, fits well. Worth a look :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal