UKBouldering.com

When does 'business' become exploitation? (Read 3377 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
When does 'business' become exploitation?
July 22, 2014, 08:41:57 pm
I was sorting out the money for our family holiday in Font (yes I know it won't be prime conditions) next week can couldn't help but notice the spread of sale prices for Euro which got me to thinking, I got roughly 1.24 but I say as low as 1.19.

Of course there's serious competition and if someone wants to offer people say 1.15 is that fine or is it exploiting a lack of knowledge, mobility, sloth?  What about .8?

Now when it comes to credit, if you've someone with a history of defaulting on loans, a transient nhistory and poor work record who wants to borrow £100 for a weekend, what would you say is a fair rate and at what point does it become exploitative?

Secondly should the state intervene and limit the spread on exchange rates and interest on loans? Note this is in the conjunctive, if you think they should cap interest rates but not exchange rates then please say why one is different from the other.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
because one of its legs are both the same

fried

• forum hero
Big hands

tomtom

• forum hero
To make a loan rate / currency exchange allegory....

Getting money at the airport currency exchange shops is like going to Wonga.

Using your bank card in an overseas ATM is like getting a bank loan - some fees added on are a little high, some banks are very low - but its always within a range...

Don't tell me you've just been to cash converters to get your Euro's??

As someone who travels quite a bit I always get my ££$$EE at the country I'm visitings ATM's... and I have a Halifax Clarity credit card for such purposes which carries no fee and no commission for OS withdrawals...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
small fingers making crimps seem like jugs

low weight , high power to weight ratio

flexibility

top roping

head pointing

petejh

• forum hero
Paid to climb, no real job commitments.

Stubbs

Pain au raisin.

tomtom

• forum hero
Exploiraisin

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Boreal are still in business

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
No, it's soaking wet, and there is some major seepage at the back. Sorry.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Surely as long as its legal then 'business[es]' can do what they want can't they?

They can avoid taxation, sue foreign governments, offer whatever (exploitive) exchange or interest rates they like etc. etc. as long as its above board.

;)

Now when it comes to credit, if you've someone with a history of defaulting on loans, a transient nhistory and poor work record who wants to borrow £100 for a weekend, what would you say is a fair rate and at what point does it become exploitative?

There is no fair rate, you just don't lend to them as the risk is too high.

Secondly should the state intervene and limit the spread on exchange rates and interest on loans? Note this is in the conjunctive, if you think they should cap interest rates but not exchange rates then please say why one is different from the other.

They're to some extent separate entities are they not?  Exchange rates fluctuate around the....errr value of a countries economy perhaps?  Interest rates are determined by....errr gready bankers looking to make a quick buck out of others misery?

I think the government have already moved to cap 'payday' loans of the nature you describe.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
the poll choices don't seem to be showing up using my browser

tomtom

• forum hero
Ninja Tunes

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal