UKBouldering.com

Deep Water Solo at The Quay (Read 34463 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#25 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 24, 2014, 02:30:25 pm
Can make a load of of them with some loaf bread bags and an old plastic folder cut into strips and stapled to make a stiffener. It works a treat and costs nought

I recall reading similar but using a rubber swimming cap rather than a bread bag.

Eth

#26 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 24, 2014, 02:44:29 pm
Ha!

Our entire staff signed up.

Then all tried to book the weekend off and then all moaned like buggery when we refused to just close for the weekend...

Never work with animals, children or climbers.
[/quote
Is this why you're making the full time staff redundant then? :-\

a dense loner

• forum hero
#27 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 24, 2014, 03:47:50 pm
Gotta lv the net

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#28 Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 24, 2014, 08:30:22 pm
Ha!

Then all tried to book the weekend off and then all moaned like buggery when we refused to just close for the weekend...

[/quote

No.

If you want to ask why, come in an see me and I'll explain, it's not a secret and Mark is well aware we don't want to let him go.

Sorry if it upsets you, but there are five full time members of staff at the Bunker, we have to slim it to four. Mark will be a great loss to us, in life sometimes you have to do hard things.

Paul B

• forum hero
#29 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 24, 2014, 08:55:32 pm
I recall reading similar but using a rubber swimming cap rather than a bread bag.

Silicone swim hat, it was likely me that posted. Although, as Gus said, they don't work as well as a chalk bag and I quickly reverted back to just that (and being too scared to fall off anyway).

I'd never watched the video of Ry with the sound on. Brilliant!

Eth

#30 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 24, 2014, 09:10:18 pm
Ha!

[/quote

No.

If you want to ask why, come in an see me and I'll explain, it's not a secret and Mark is well aware we don't want to let him go.

Sorry if it upsets you, but there are five full time members of staff at the Bunker, we have to slim it to four. Mark will be a great loss to us, in life sometimes you have to do hard things.
None of my business of course - I just find the hypocrisy of moaning about members of staff asking for time off on the very week they're being laid off somewhat irksome. Oh, my name is Gary Willis in case you're wondering who I am. Rant over.

Stu Littlefair

• forum hero
    • http://www.darkpeakimages.co.uk
#31 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 24, 2014, 09:23:05 pm
I've got a couple of chalkbags made by malhambra I think. They're made of lightweight, quick drying material and they're absolutely perfect for DWS. Rinse em out, put them in the sun, and they're good to go before I am.

Shame the company doesn't seem to be around anymore. Alpkit do something similar but I've no idea how good they are...

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#32 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 24, 2014, 09:29:37 pm
Thank you for publicly me calling me a hypocrite.

You are are right, it is none of your business.

My name is Matt Glover, I own 50% of the Bunker, a business which we have invested every penny we have in.

I am not a hypocrite.

I work my arse off to feed my family and keep that place going, despite disasters and all the troubles of a new business.

I am not a fucking hypocrite.

Come in and tell Me, Polly, and our four kids how we are all fucking hypocrites!

And the others we employ!

Why would you choose to do this on a public forum?

What the fuck have we ever done to you!

Fucking come in and see us! I'll show you the fucking books!

Bastard! (Tit for your "hypocrite" tat).

Gary Willis, what the fuck have I ever done to you!

Simon, Toby, don't delete this. A personal attack by an uninformed moron deserves a personal response. Everyone on this forum knows a fair bit about me, and if mr Willis opinion is universal, I shall bow out.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#33 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 06:20:17 am
Matt what are you talking about? Someone has had a dig at you you've replied leave it at that. It looks like you're over-reacting by a long way with the last post.

How do you think I feel when someone calls me a big dicked bastard? It's hard to take sometimes

Eth

#34 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 07:21:24 am
Thank you for publicly me calling me a hypocrite.

You are are right, it is none of your business.

My name is Matt Glover, I own 50% of the Bunker, a business which we have invested every penny we have in.

I am not a hypocrite.

I work my arse off to feed my family and keep that place going, despite disasters and all the troubles of a new business.

Come in and tell Me, Polly, and our four kids how we are all fucking hypocrites!

And the others we employ!

Why would you choose to do this on a public forum?

What the fuck have we ever done to you!

Fucking come in and see us! I'll show you the fucking books!

Bastard! (Tit for your "hypocrite" tat).

Gary Willis, what the fuck have I ever done to you!

Simon, Toby, don't delete this. A personal attack by an uninformed moron deserves a personal response. Everyone on this forum knows a fair bit about me, and if mr Willis opinion is universal, I shall bow out.

Your happy to berate your staff on a public forum in other posts (it's on here somewhere, can't be arsed to trawl for it) but don't like any criticism back? Sounds like hypocrisy, no?
The forum is a two way deal - if you don't like a comment there's no need to over react and call me a moron. PM me if you want to continue this off air

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#35 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 07:33:33 am
Back on track.

I think the problem with canal water is that it often has very low flow, and so sits there and stagnates, gets low in dissolved oxygen etc. If this one takes flow from the river then it could well be decent.

Nike Air

• forum abuser
#36 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 08:06:32 am
bring your megaphone Gus, should be a laugh!!

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#37 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 11:14:13 am

I'd never watched the video of Ry with the sound on. Brilliant!

That's actually edited footage, as Ryan climbed up to the hard and high last move once already, but the heckling was a bit too strong so he bottled and down climbed back to the jug. When he went back up there was a bit more encouragement and less savage heckling!

See you all in Exeter, I'll be the one in the 50 year old dinghy with a megaphone!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#38 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 12:30:04 pm

Matt what are you talking about? Someone has had a dig at you you've replied leave it at that. It looks like you're over-reacting by a long way with the last post.

How do you think I feel when someone calls me a big dicked bastard? It's hard to take sometimes

Fair point.

It really is a big dick though Dense, granted the bastard part is not wholly justified. Insert emoticon here 😜 to show that this is said in jest and not as a personal attack.

What I should have said, last night, is that the "entire staff booking into comp" situation was, I thought, amusing and the " moan like buggery" was an exaggeration for comic effect. At the time (three months back?) we had no knowledge of the events that would follow.

So, apologies for appearing so heartless, I assure you I'm not, as for the other accusation, berate? Again, I guess I'm going to need to remember Emoticons to prevent certain people from taking things so seriously.

Still, my main point, the only relevant thing I would like people to take away from my posts here is, I think the DWS comp is a great idea and I can't imagine the canal being too dirty.

I understood the height of the wall is determined by the depth of water under it?

I would guess there is a safe maximum too, regardless of water depth?

During my dive training, a friend broke both legs, stepping off a 5mtr platform. It doesn't take much, water can be as hard as concrete at the right speed/angle...

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#39 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 12:46:22 pm

[/quote]

During my dive training, a friend broke both legs, stepping off a 5mtr platform. It doesn't take much, water can be as hard as concrete at the right speed/angle...
[/quote]

That's perfect megaphone heckle content right there! We should team up aboard HMS heckle!!!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#40 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 01:00:56 pm

😊

[/quote]

That's perfect megaphone heckle content right there! We should team up aboard HMS heckle!!!
[/quote]
I've got a couple of chalkbags made by malhambra I think. They're made of lightweight, quick drying material and they're absolutely perfect for DWS. Rinse em out, put them in the sun, and they're good to go before I am.

Shame the company doesn't seem to be around anymore. Alpkit do something similar but I've no idea how good they are...

I haven't tried, but spent a few bored moments in a supermarket looking at those Clothes peg bags. They are essentially unlined Chalk bags and ought to dry out quite quickly?

In that vein, the Dog treat bags from the likes of Pets at Home, are similar if a little smaller. Those even have a crab  attached.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#41 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 01:08:35 pm

"WARNING: People with stronger legs than you have quaddrasized themselves at this height"

T_B

• forum hero
#42 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 01:44:47 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

That'll be me psyched out then  :'(

Paul B

• forum hero
#43 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 01:51:06 pm
What are you on about? You'll still have your feet on the kicker won't you?

"WARNING: People with stronger legs than you have quaddrasized themselves at this height"

You can see why DWS makes me nervous  :wave:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#44 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 01:54:58 pm
Anyone providing vid with audible heckling gets wadded. Wonder why this has never caught on in Aberdeen?

Wood FT

• forum hero
#45 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 02:14:14 pm
What are you on about? You'll still have your feet on the kicker won't you?

it's perfectly fine and you feel totally in control...

...then Gus turn up in the HMS Smash On dingy with an electric toothbrush for an outboard motor and a megaphone.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#46 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 02:39:53 pm

Anyone providing vid with audible heckling gets wadded.

+1

Gus

• obsessive maniac
  • Smash It In!
#47 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 04:02:05 pm
Anyone providing vid with audible heckling gets wadded.

In that case this might fit the bill until it's time to head down to Exeter:

JackAus

• junky
#48 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 04:02:47 pm

Here's a shot of a mate coming off a awesome project nearby. About 10m up and his left hand blew off the crimp. I was just out of frame and nearly dived in after him fully expecting him not to surface... but no, he came up laughing. Bruised ribs for the following week though!

Photos by Simon Carter

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#49 Re: Deep Water Solo at The Quay
July 25, 2014, 04:04:45 pm
I like that his hand is still crimped in shot 2.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal