UKBouldering.com

Widdop and Bridestones conditions tomorrow (Read 5377 times)

nathanie1

• regular
Heading over to my parents tomorrow and they live close to Widdop and Bridestones. According to metcheck.com it's suppose to be quite sunny tomorrow.

Following today's bad weather, does anyone know whether either place will be in a good state?

I really keen to go to Bridestones and apparently it dries quickly, but I obviously don't want to cause any damage to the rock if it's not in ideal condition. Also I've known Widdop to get quite boggy after bad weather.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

tomtom

• forum hero
I would steer clear of Bridestones as it need a a couple of days to dry properly.

tomtom

• forum hero
Was up at Widdop today - and was in pretty good shape for summer grit (surprisingly close to winter conditions out of the sun). However some heads up - the car park there seems to have been commandeered and fenced off by contractors doing some fettling on the dam or something (Will may know as its YW) so parking is on the road and a bit limited/less friendly....

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Sounds good about the connies, Tom. Did you look at Fight on Black by any chance? Is there a particular time of day when its best to try that (morning/afternoon shade) or a particular wind direction that keeps it cool?

I believe we are doing some work at Widdop at the moment. I don't have any direct involvement in the scheme but will try and find out how long the car park is likely to be out of action, and whether access over the dam might be restricted at any point.

tomtom

• forum hero
Sounds good about the connies, Tom. Did you look at Fight on Black by any chance? Is there a particular time of day when its best to try that (morning/afternoon shade) or a particular wind direction that keeps it cool?

I believe we are doing some work at Widdop at the moment. I don't have any direct involvement in the scheme but will try and find out how long the car park is likely to be out of action, and whether access over the dam might be restricted at any point.

Yup (in power club). FOTB is in the shade in the morning (starts to come around onto the corner of it about 1:20-2pm...

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Thanks for bringing this up, TT. I've looked into it and, due to essential maintenance works being carried out at Widdop, the car park will be out of action for the duration of the scheme.
Weather permitting, works will be finished by the end of April 2016.

There is an alternative car park 1 mile further up the road towards Lancashire which looks to have space for 4/5 well parked cars. Best to park here and approach either back down the road and over the dam as usual (there are no plans at present to restrict access over the dam) or, better, walk down to the head of the res, cross the stream, and walk back along the res to the plantation past Clattering Stones and the Drums (along the Burnley Way and Pennine Bridleway). About 20 mins either way and a great excuse to actually visit Clattering Stones at last!

http://binged.it/1M8yief

36chambers

• forum hero
Was there a few weeks ago. There's plenty of parking along the road adjacent to the old car park (now a portacabin site), so no need to park further away.

Rather than follow the usual footpath to the dam, you can simply head up the road towards the house and enter the damn via the large gate adjoining the road. No change in approach time.     

ohhamburgers

I'm in the area this weekend and a little excited by the cold dry forecast, anyone know how green or otherwise Widdop is?

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
North faces were minging earlier in the autumn, that was on a decent day at the end of the good dry spell in October. In addition to the rain since then it's forecast to be rain/sleet overnight and a northerly breeze so you'll either get sun or breeze or not both. I'd be wary.

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Widdop and Bridestones conditions tomorrow
November 20, 2015, 10:35:13 am
What fiend said. Some stuff at Widdop dries really fast - but some bits (especially the break on Fight on the Balck) don't..

Lots does dry fairly fast though.

Ps. Don't climb at Bridestones if it's rained at all recently (as I'm sure you knew)

36chambers

• forum hero
I went to the plantation boulders a few weeks ago on a one-off dry day and only a selection of the problems weren't green.

Pool Traverse, Splashdown, Pick Pocket's Crack, The Shelf, Hurricane, and the break for Fight of the Black were all grim and slimy. Mystery Buttress looked unbelievably green too.   

That being said, we still got some climbing in so it wasn't a complete waste. 

Bare in mind that if you go and Widdop isn't in good nick, you could easily escape to Scout Crag, which is on the opposite hill side facing Widdop. It's south facing and high up, so it gets all the sun and is also exposed. 

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1554

If you're operating in the 7's, I highly recommend Boggy's Roof 7B. Although I should add, it's located just left of the far left of the crag, so if you don't have a guide book it may be hard to find. 

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Anyone know the snow situation up at Widdop/Scout Hut and state of roads?

tomtom

• forum hero

Paul B would be a good person to ask...

dunnyg

• forum hero
There was snow on the ground by westvale quarry this morning if you can't get closer info.

Paul B

• forum hero

Which end are you coming in from? The Lancs direction is typically worse with Thursden bank to contend with. The roads just outside of Colne to my place aren't perfect but are totally passable (without either a Panda 4x4 or an A6 AllRoad). I can't see it being a problem. We've got a smattering of snow so you may have meltwater to contend with at the sunnier venues?

Edit: I've stuck a story up on Insta looking towards Thursden/Coldwell.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 11:39:41 am by Paul B »

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
Cheers all, sounds like it would probably be fine. My van is actually pretty good in the snow/ice but after several slightly sketchy trips to that valley I thought it worth checking!

I've always found Thursden bank in decent nick, I think the farmer must grit it himself to save repeated rescue missions. The Ridehalgh Lane cut through has been worse I've found, maybe cause its lower lying and shadier.

Paul B

• forum hero
I don't typically need to go down that bit as home is the other way, up the steeper section directly to the pill box

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
FYI for anyone considering tomorrow the roads were fine (just gritted) and scout hut was dry. Scout looked brilliant in the sun and widdop looked freezing but likely had some stuff in condition.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal