UKBouldering.com

Best place to find rental properties - Sheffield (Read 23406 times)

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser

The deal has fallen through already...  :(

This is turning out to be a nightmare. At least I know that Sheffield has a booming rental market for if I buy a house in the future!

Nightmare, really bad news chain. Keep looking though like you say, there is lots out there it's just the demand that's a bit crazy at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
The deal has fallen through already... 

bugger

cha1n

• forum hero
Yeh, really annoyed about this one. Have been in talks with a landlord for a few days, confirmed it was still available at 3pm and said great, we'll go ahead. No contact for 6 hours and get an email saying they've given it to someone who viewed it on Monday. Argh!

The search continues...

tomtom

• forum hero
Yeh, really annoyed about this one. Have been in talks with a landlord for a few days, confirmed it was still available at 3pm and said great, we'll go ahead. No contact for 6 hours and get an email saying they've given it to someone who viewed it on Monday. Argh!

The search continues...

They're C*nts property agents/estate agents... play one off against the over - hedge their bets etc...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Had no idea that the rental market had got this cut throat despite what I've read about increasing rents etc.

Bad luck mate, hope you get sorted soon.

tomtom

• forum hero
Had no idea that the rental market had got this cut throat despite what I've read about increasing rents etc.

Bad luck mate, hope you get sorted soon.

You hear of all sorts of bonds being offered on the spot, taken and sometimes not refunded from the London rental market.. sounds like its getting close to that in Sheff...

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
Valley Road S8 usually has something

not a bad place to be for 6 months

cha1n

• forum hero
Yeh, the first property we decided we liked (we'd viewed 10 properties previously, mainly in Hillsborough) was a group viewing with three couples in total and we had to race one of the other couples back to the estate agent to start the paperwork (this is what the estate agents told us). Luckily the other couple didn't have a car and were getting a lift from the estate agent. This back-fired as the current tenant changed his mind about moving out after we'd paid our £300 application fees (wtf?!?) and returned to Bristol but luckily the estate agent refunded our money.

With the property I've just been let down on, I'd have hoped that he'd given me the opportunity to match the other person's offer (he said we could pay £50 less pcm if we took it unfurnished) before giving it to someone else as I got in touch only 30 minutes after the house was advertised online. Perhaps he didn't like the fact that I am only just starting a new job or something. I guess there's always the chance that I could fail my probationary period or something?!

a dense loner

• forum hero
There is the starting new job thing, and didn't you say the other people looked before you? He may have been honouring their word of mouth maybe. Look on mon but don't know for sure until weds, as in you've had first look if you get back to me for def on weds it's yours. If the house is furnished it's a hassle to make it unfurnished etc

cha1n

• forum hero
I didn't have any intention of viewing the property as the photos were all good. I think I was probably in talks with him first but the other person viewed it, so I suppose he saw that as more of a commitment. True again about having to move things out off the property.

I quite like this one but not really prepared to pay Blundells £400 fees. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-45474946.html

If only there was a way of getting in touch with the landlords directly! I suppose some of them may prefer using an agent but I'd happily pay the costs of a credit check and put a landlord in touch with an old landlord for a reference. Probably only cost £20 or something...

a dense loner

• forum hero
Fuck me that's outrageous! Some landlords would view not going thro an agent as dodgy for them. Tbh chain if you phoned me I'd tell you to come for a look, I wouldn't be interested if you def wanted the house I'd want to see you. Not being an arse like  ;)
Blundells are only good if you're selling.

cha1n

• forum hero
Yeh, I see where you're coming from, I'd probably think the same unless I got a good vibe on the phone. This landlord was based in Bath (15-20 minute drive from my house) so we would have met up with him. C'est la vie, I'm going to try not to get attached to a property until I have a contract signed from now on.

If a landlord specifically asks for me to come up for a chat then I will, it's just £35-40 down the drain every time I come up and so far I haven't even got faith that landlords are going to give me the property if I make that effort to come up. May be better off going into a house share for a month and look whilst I'm up.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
£400?! For doing what exactly? Utter cunts. They'll then charge the landlord 10% of the rent to continue do absolutely nothing and if there are any problems from either side they'll pass the buck the opposite party.

We've always rented our place privately as I've heard enough horror stories from landlords and tenants to never go down that route. In fact the one time we even asked an estate agent to do basic marketing they lied, were shit and tried (unsuccessfully) to charge us £450 for doing nothing (Bloor & Co).

Worst thing is you're also wrong about them (Blundells in particular) being good for selling dense. They're shit rip off twats like the rest of the high street estate agents and will do fuck all to sell your property, then charge you thousands when all you need to do is get it on rightmove with one of the online agents.

Total scum who should all be shot. I turned down a possible new client recently because he was an estate agent. The oil industry is one thing but I have some morals.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Oh and that Nettleham Road place would probably be ideal for you (they're small houses but fine for a couple) if it wasn't for the outrageous agent's fees.

I live nearby so will ask locally if anyone knows who the landlord is. Might be able to get a phone number although it's a long shot obviously.

cha1n

• forum hero
Thanks for offering to do that Jasper. I reckon the property will probably be let within a day or so though in the current market, if it's not a big inconvenience to do then I appreciate you trying.

Everyone I talk to seems to hate estate agents, including members of the family who work in law. The estate agents actually make more from a sale than a solicitors do and they are doing most of the work! Perhaps I've found a niece market and should start a business that makes estate agents obsolete!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Hi,

A couple of smaller local and potentially/hopefully less ripoff merchants to try out...

When I moved up from London to Sheffield we found our place through Martin & Co, who I think are a national chain but the local Sheffield peeps were OK - can't remember the fees we paid but I recall they weren't extortionate.

I moved again about 6 months later into a flat on Archer Rd, which was a) big b) quiet and c) 5 mins from The Works. Also had off-street parking, was convenient for the big Sainsbury's, getting out climbing etc...couldn't recommend it enough. Can't remember what the agency was but looking online they appear to rebranded as "Ascent Lettings" (FFS!  :wank: ).

Good luck with the search and hopefully you'll find somewhere soon!

[/size][size=78%] [/size]

cha1n

• forum hero
Thanks for the good wishes, I hope I find something soon!

To add insult to injury, I just had a fine through for going in a bus lane around Hillsborough area.  I got a bit confused as the sat nav was telling me to turn right where it said no entry, carried on going and next thing I knew I was at a bus only junction. There's another £30 wasted ffs!

cha1n

• forum hero
Sorry, the sat nav was telling me to go straight on (through bus lane) but noticed the tarmac was about to change colour but it all happened a bit fast. Annoyingly if I was there less than 15 minutes later (happened at 10:46) then I would have been OK. Our bus lanes stop at 10am, 10:30 at the latest. 11am, wtf.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Watch out if you ever drive down Queens  Road, the priority of traffic lanes changes with the time of day at the southern end . Keep an eye on the overhead signs.  Could be worse then a fine of caught out.

bigtuboflard

• forum abuser
Sorry, the sat nav was telling me to go straight on (through bus lane) but noticed the tarmac was about to change colour but it all happened a bit fast. Annoyingly if I was there less than 15 minutes later (happened at 10:46) then I would have been OK. Our bus lanes stop at 10am, 10:30 at the latest. 11am, wtf.
When that tram gate got put in a few years ago they actually had a period where they just wrote to the offending drivers to warn them as it was the main route through Hillsborough back in to town for decades. It caused a bit of an uproar if I recall as it now means everyone has to cut down the side streets which in turn now are often gridlocked.

Back on topic, I noticed a few properties on Ecce Road last night being advertised through these people http://shefflets.com/default.asp and thought you might want to see what they are like if you haven't tried them already. No personal experience of them I am afraid but always worth a look.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
Just checked that link and they've got a top-floor flat on Mowbray St going - I looked at that back in 2008 and didn't get my application in in time!

Nice place - balcony etc, plus it's only 2 mins walk from The Foundry and really near some decent boozers like Kelham Island, Fat Cat, Harlequin etc...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
An idea, have you tried scouring the Sheffield forums for available properties?

cha1n

• forum hero
Thanks for the link. Apparently the mrs has been looking on that site too but a lot of them are 'Let Agreed'.

Have been looking on the Sheffield forum too. Have wanted posts on gumtree and Sheffield forum and refresh the gumtree/sheffield forum/rightmove page every 30 mins to check for new properties. I don't start work until the 18th of August so I have time to look but I've got a dual mass flywheel to replace on my Mondeo so won't have time for long, ha!

Really appreciate everyone's support on this one, it's very much appreciated. At this rate I may have to go into a house share for 3 weeks a month so if anyone knows anyone or there are any noticed up on the climbing wall I'd appreciate if people could let me know!

cha1n

• forum hero
Update. Have been offered a property to rent at 66 Ulverston Road. Seems OK but slight concerned that the back garden seems to be overlooking some derelect buildings or something. I noticed that further up the road there's some new buildings, so presumably the land behind the house has been sold for flats or something. Anyone have any local knowledge regarding this?

Also, any opinions in general? It's quite close to the train tracks but when we were viewing a property at the bottom of the hill on Cartmell road a train came past and it didn't seem too bad. Could perhaps be a problem at night?

It's been advertised for a month and she hasn't got a tenant. I suppose she could have been let down by someone, but slightly suspicious about that. Advantage that it's private so no stupid fees, just £75 to cover to credit checks and a tenant agreement being drawn up.

It's only for 6 months, then we'll be keeping an eye out for something different or buying our own place (hopefully). Google maps link; https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/66+Ulverston+Rd,+Sheffield+S8/@53.3487655,-1.4859698,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x4879825aa165add3:0xe3b4d865d2204d6a

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 05:41:25 pm by cha1n »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
with no big fees, it's got to be worth a go for 6 months

I have no idea what the stuff is behind the house

I do know that there is a good beer shop at the end of the road

easy walk to both Virgin gyms (nearest one is more expensive, but they let you use the other one as well, so I hear)

might be some sort of bouldering facility near there

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal